jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Interesting Dilemma With Spelling

1. PageBeard profile image85
    PageBeardposted 9 days ago

I wrote a recent article reviewing a video a game and received an email stating that there are spelling errors.  I have gone through it and found none but I think the issue is with gaming terminology.  The article has been selected for another site, but the spelling issues are not issues!  Any advice?  Has anyone else had this problem?  The two specific words that come to mind are roguelike and tanky which are both listed as misspelled.   Just curious if anyone has had this problem?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image100
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 days agoin reply to this

I actually had a similar problem over the word "blackwater", which is an RV term used to describe a sewer or waste water tank.  I emailed the team about it and explained that the editor kept changing it to "black water", which could be construed to mean that it is a black colored water tank, which is not what I meant at all.  Finally I emailed Robin and she straightened it out.  Maybe you should do as I did!  Either that, or find synonyms to use for the words in question.  Good luck!

PageBeardposted 9 days agoin reply to this

Forgive my ignorance....who is Robin and how do I email her?  smile  And thanks for replying!

2. Robin profile image
    Robinposted 8 days ago

I can answer you here.  smile  The issue is with both spelling and grammar.  I just read the first paragraph and saw a few errors:

Original

Barony: Cursed Edition will bring you back to the gaming days of old. It is a roguelike with a bit of not so obvious depth. For an Indie game its quite fun. Most of the negative reviews I have come across seem to curse its difficulty and those claims aren't unwarranted. However, the difficulty is what sets this apart from your standard run of the mill of rpg roguelike.

My edits in bold

Barony: Cursed Edition will bring you back to the gaming days of old. It is a roguelike with a bit of not-so-obvious depth. For an Indie game, it's quite fun. Most of the negative reviews I have come across seem to curse its difficulty, and those claims aren't unwarranted. However, the difficulty is what sets this apart from your standard run of the mill rpg roguelike.  (remove "of" in last sentence). 

In order to move to LevelSkip, this article needs a grammar check.  You can always submit it in the Forums for help from the community.  Thanks!

PageBeardposted 8 days agoin reply to this

Thank you Robin I really appreciate it..I thought the spelling errors were coming from the gaming terms.

1. theraggededge profile image100
        theraggededgeposted 8 days agoin reply to this

Try the free app, Grammarly. It should pick up those errors that we have trouble picking up.

PageBeardposted 8 days agoin reply to this

Thank you for your advice, i will!

3. Kenna McHugh profile image85
    Kenna McHughposted 8 days ago

Grammarly doesn't always catch everything, though, so beware.  Also, question for those who use Grammarly: As anyone bought the app or do they just use the free version?

working