What do you call?...

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. lisafwg01 profile image60
    lisafwg01posted 14 years ago

In another post we were discussing gender specific "pet peeves." As I answered one of the posts I realized I had no idea what to call the man in my life.

"Boyfriend" sounds very ridiculous...I'm in my 40's and he's 19 years my senior (no, he doesn't have money..lol) and "significant other" always sounds like one has a few "insignificant" others lurking about. When I say "my partner" people assume I am a lesbian and am talking about another female...so what the hell do I call him?

When we're out, I simply introduce him by name; if people can't figure out we are a couple they must be daft. But when speaking about him in a forum such as this I have no idea what to call him!

1. mandybeau profile image58
      mandybeauposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have heard the following Man friend man Pal (sounds like dog food) My ....Buddy, Bit on the side.
      Ball and Chain. My man, which sounds like you met in gaol.and lastly but not leastly the mostly truly revolting.
      My Honey Woney. EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Just say your partner as I do.

lisafwg01posted 14 years agoin reply to this

If I ever start calling Kevin my "honey woney" please, slap me...HARD!! wink

2. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like the word boyfriend, personally.  It's a nice, edgy, not stodgy, flirty way to put it--although see the point with some thinking it juvenile.  I do call my partner, my partner--usually around an older crowd--nobody ever thinks I'm gay.

Wow.  You and Demi Moore. wink

Hmmm, not exactly..Demi is what 19-20 years older than Ashton...we're the other way, he's 19 years my senior (older than I).

1. profile image0
          Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OH!  Well, in that case!  Maybe 'friend?'  Or, actually, in a cliche sense, you would be the 'friend.'  smile  lol

You should refer to him any way you want.

3. marcs profile image59
      marcsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

my girlfriend and i have lived together for 3 and a half years and she just refers to me as her husband, i still call her my girlfriend, maybe i can call her my semi-wife

If she's saying "husband" and you're still thinking "girlfriend" you two may need to talk!wink

All kidding aside, it's just something I've noticed; there is really no age appropriate term for the person you are dating when you are older.

1. marcs profile image59
  2. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Call him your master. He'll like that.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Call him what feels best to you and let other people worry about their own interpretive limitations.  I tend to refer to people's partners as their "partner" for any unmarried relationship regardless of gender or orientation.

4. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Partner is not too specific, and most people will not care to know any details unless you provide them.

5. fortunerep profile image69
    fortunerepposted 14 years ago

You know, I have the same problem.  Boyfriend sounds too juvenile, fiance' just prompts the question, when are you getting married?  I hate that question. If it is not broke, don't fix it.  I have called him my partner and too people thought I was a Lesbian, but what the heck, i just call him Ryan and they can read into it what they want to.
    dori

6. tksensei profile image60
    tksenseiposted 14 years ago

Whoa! Too much info!  (what's the safety word?)

LMAO...Great, I just choked on my drink..I think you owe me a keyboard!

1. tksensei profile image60
        tksenseiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry!

7. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I think if I were in that situation I'd call him a "friend" to people who didn't know me very well, call him by his first name to people who did, and - if the time ever came - call him "fiance" if/when it became appropriate.

I almost think those of us with friends (platonic, same-sex, ones) in  your situation kind of know there's that different way "friend" can be used sometimes.

8. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

It's too bad "man-friend" sounds so creepy.    smile

1. marcs profile image59

My other thought was just to describe your activities with him to your friends and let them figure it out. "This is George, we sleep together, yell at each other, tell each other we love each other, eat meals together, call each other twice a day and have been doing so for 2 years, george meet pam."

1. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Or how about, "This is George, my - ahem - 'friend'" (and then do the thing with using hands to point out quotation marks).

I kind of like "guy-friend" in the right circumstances.  (Not a big fan of the announcing the thing about sleeping together every time one meets someone new  smile  )

1. marcs profile image59

I hear you on that. WHich brings to mind a great story about a retarded friend we have. One time our retarded friend Joe was meeting my Uncle Gene's wife Jerry and the thing about Joe is that he doesn't look retarded, he's not down syndrome, anyhow he shakes Jerry's hand and matter of factly says to her "hi, I'm Joe, I like to masturbate." She had this classic "what the hell face" and her reply was "good for you" then my mom went over to her and whispered in her ear that he's retarded. IT was classic.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
            Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She was very calm and objective-- especially considering the fact that she was shaking his hand.

1. marcs profile image59

true that, you know the hand shake thing must have had her thinking there for a second

9. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Always resort to 'ole man, my other half' tongue lol lol

10. Rochelle Frank profile image92
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

Hmmm. It can be a problem. I have a good friend, female, who became my business partner when we collaborated on a book.

When we filled out all the partnership agreements and legal business things we were legally and officially business partners.

Opening a bank account, getting a seller's license and all the other things  required giving almost all of our personal information. We commented to each other that it was almost like getting married.

Though she is a very dear friend, it always seemed kind of funny to call her "my partner", when we each have been married to our own husbands for more than 40 years.

Changing meanings and terminology can get rather fuzzy.

11. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

hmmm...I'm thinking boy toy big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)