Why do women dominate the top hubbers list?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (60 posts)
  1. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 14 years ago

Ok so this is one of those rare occasions I'm in the top ten with a score of 100 but I notice the rest of the top ten are apparently women (you can never be sure on HubPages!). 

Similarly there is apparently only one other man in the top 20, Mark Knowles (I say apparently because 'frog dropping' appears to be a woman).  Any thoughts on why women do so well here?

1. profile image0
      ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because they are smarter, and the sooner you acknowledge that assumption the better off you will be. Lot's safer too. I worship women, my Mom was one.
      http://www.clipartof.com/images/thumbnail/2403.gif

1. profile image0
        Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol I like ralwus' answer and I agree smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is easy. Women are superior to men. Took me 40 years to learn this, and I have now adopted their sneaky, underhanded methods and may compete with them on an equal basis. The only thing I lack now is the boobs, but after careful consideration decided that is a handicap I can live with.

For a small fee, I will share the secrets of my success. big_smile

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a good one Mark
        http://www.clipartof.com/images/thumbnail/1231.gif

2. shibashake profile image81
        shibashakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A simple surgery, and you'll not have a handicap at all wink

3. packerpack profile image59
        packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe because only intelligent ladies have joined Hubpages!

3. RooBee profile image83
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Frogdropping does so well because of her sheer awesomeness, as I assume is the reason for your and others' high scores. smile

4. dingdong profile image58
      dingdongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps Maddie will have the answer? wink

5. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When I was at the beach yesterday I happily concluded that I am indeed female.

I based my assumption on three facts:

1. I was wearing a bikini. Men appear to stick with a one-piece.

2. I kept my stomach under contol. Lots of breath-holding and what have you.

3. When I was swimming, I was very concerned with keeping my hair dry.

One last thing: My avatar is clearly female.

BTW - thanks RooBee smile

1. shibashake profile image81

Post some pictures! I'm always into bikini photographs smile Those male Speedos ain't too bad either. I'm equal opportunity.

lol - I try to do that too. It is difficult to keep it up continously and for long periods of time. I save my muscles up for when something really sexy passes by, then I start stomach yoga.

Obviously! I knew right off! Mine is clearly female too. No clue why those silly people get so easily confused tongue

2. RooBee profile image83

Ha, ha - see why everyone loves this frog?! No, no thank YOU for always brightening my day.

6. ngureco profile image80
      ngurecoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Frogdropping can not be a woman. Frogdropping is most likely a young guy under 20 years of age. If indeed he is a woman, she must be a very funny woman.

1. frogdropping profile image77

ngureco - are you the gender police? If so, please stop trying to out me. I am firmly in the closet. Lodged. Taken root. And I like it.

I had a very difficult childhood. My parents were/are very anti-teen. If they knew what I was - there'd be lots of emotion.

Not to mention therapy.

I mean - all teens are hooligans and ne'er do wells. Apparently.

7. moposan profile image57
      moposanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Easy. Woman crave more for attention and popularity than men hence the result.Being desired or just likable is female nature- they will do a lot to achieve maximum buzz around them- e.g. high uncomfortable heels.

1. frogdropping profile image77

I loathe them.

Therefore I'm a man ...

1. moposan profile image57

They may loathe them but still wear. Its called sacrifice to the beauty.

1. profile image0
            Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope.  It's called 'I look good in them & I like d*mn cute shoes.'  However, bet I may be able to out run you in my running shoes, too, wink.

Your liking d*mn cute shoes is  secondary to your subconscious liking being liked. And your running skills even more endorse the latter.

1. profile image0

O...NO..  But, can't resist...  Your degree in psychology is from where? wink

And if you reallllly want to get all psycho-babble on it, I'll have you know I am a first born, achievement-oriented, was supposed to be the boy in the family type.  And I'm really not all that well liked, and I like it.  Because I'm very anti-establishment, in a sort of boho/middle class way, actually, too.  wink

"o no". So you wear them just because you want to be able to get visual pleasure every time you look down. Why not....
                    Thanks for profound selfanalysis. Boho chic can be quite attractive.

1. profile image0

And, no, not actually.  I wear them, a), because I like clothes and AM visual, and see fashion as an art form, I'd imagine, and b), I'm 5'4" and given the fact that slacks, etc., are constructed very long these days, it is almost a necessity. 

So many variables to psycho analysis!  (Maybe chicks are better at it?)  LOL

lol - I say put them all in rubber shoes, and no more make-up! That will show them!

Men are clearly superior. Being undesired or just unlikable is male nature- they will do a lot to achieve minimum buzz around them- e.g. smelly feet! lol

Drop that inferiority complex. Lets just say - different.After all opposites attract each other.

I am very inferior when I am wearing rubber shoes. However, once I put on my Jimmy Choo shoes - watch out! I go from air-head bimbo to super intelligent, super popular, super everything femme fatale. tongue

1. RooBee profile image83

raaawr big_smile
              The power of shoes is not to be underestimated.

You bet.They make legs look longer and butty curvier. All that men like.

Indeed! I bet both Mark Knowles and Rik Ravado have their 6 inch Jimmy Choos on when they hub. Only way to get to the top 20 list.

8. sassychic profile image61
      sassychicposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We rock the charts! jk, well I guess it depends on each persons talent and how they interest people I guess...????? smile Nice job tho! Congrats!

2. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 14 years ago

Hi Rik, congratulations for the 100 score smile

As to why...I don't know. hehehe
    But I've seen the men with 100 scores too like Chuck ,Jimmy the Jock and Cris A and Tom and I'm sure there were others we've missed. big_smile

3. Susan Ng profile image82
    Susan Ngposted 14 years ago

Congratulations on the 100, Rik! smile

I hadn't really noticed women were dominating the top ten.  Are they?  I mean, are we? tongue  Hehe... apparently I am not a woman.  Haha! Kidding. tongue

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I had not considered who the top hubbers were by sex. There are many very competent female writers here that is for sure.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image85
      Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Earnest, I wanted to say that for me at least, this means a *lot*!

Rik, I think that it's largely because there seem to be more prolific females than there are prolific males on HubPages. I've noticed that the top hubber is usually male (often Chuck or Mark Knowles).

5. Rik Ravado profile image86

Obviously the mix varies with time but generally the majority of the top 20 hubbers appear to be woman.  One factor could be that women often find themselves at home bringing up a family and find it relatively easy to juggle HubPages with their lifestyle.  May be women are better at social networking and the whole Web 2.0 thing?

(Or the top hubbers are really men pretending to be women! smile)

1. ngureco profile image80
      ngurecoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is no secret. And there are also more women than men on hubpages.

6. Rik Ravado profile image86

EM - shows how we can have different perceptions - it seems to me that most top hubbers are normally women but I haven't checked that statistically.  You may be right and in reality there is more often a male at no.1 than a female.

walwus - I like your style - my Mum was a woman too! - I do think women (in general)are probably more creative than men.

7. broalexdotinfo profile image55
    broalexdotinfoposted 14 years ago

Women are slightly more sensible than men, thus better writers smile

8. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

The only reason I would think about this is because I know if it were reversed there would all kinds of demands to know why and challanges to the scoring system.

9. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

Mark, you should be careful what you say my friend. Sound like you know just a bit too much already... lol

At least its not the guys with pictures of Bollywood actresses for an avatar who are leading...yet! (shudder)  smile

10. R. Blue profile image61
    R. Blueposted 14 years ago

Just my personal preference I'm sure...but I like the women being on top......let them do the work and reap the rewards.

1. Rik Ravado profile image86
      Rik Ravadoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree on all counts! (work and recreation)

RooBee - I like your flattery.  I'm still wondering about Mark Knowles and boobs - could this be the secret of his writing success?

Mark - I too have finally accepted the superiority of women over men.  They are certainly much easier to deal with on that basis!

11. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Shiba - I'd post a picture if the camera could contain me. I'm a big bird. And speedos are akin to spitting in public or sharing gas. Some things are simply not for public viewing.

Stomach holding - I have to physically hold mine. With my hands. And a sling. And stuff. I was under-exaggerating. It's huge.

You only have to look at my avatar, it's so obvious. I mean ... c'mon show me what's male about it. It's all in the skin ...

12. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Why do we dominate? Becasue we love to chat and talk lololo ::::::::::big_smile

13. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 14 years ago

There are several of them that I would let dominate me!  At least for a few hours! smile

14. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

I think it is because they are better looking.

15. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

I don't see many males on here producing 100's of hubs, in general.  Oh, just a silly little thought! wink

16. kblover profile image83
    kbloverposted 14 years ago

Wait...

I like shoes. And fashion. Well, I mean, I can appreciate a sweet looking dress or stylish shoes. Heck, I even tried my hand at making some skirts for my mom by hand. Yes, that means I own a sewing machine and know how to work it - kinda.

But...I thought I was male.

My feet don't stink (although Wally likes sniffing them so maybe they do...dogs like stinky things after all).

I like to bake too - is that a 'female' thing too? Oh boy, I even like shopping.

Geez.

Excuse me while I'll try to figure this out.

1. RooBee profile image83

No, that's great to be so well rounded - do not worry!! big_smile

I can't even sew, or at least don't want to - either way its not happening. Maybe a button..

Guys who can cook ROCK cool - especially ones who can bake, wowza!

1. profile image0

I second that...especially the cooking part.  Never had a boyfriend who couldn't.

2. kblover profile image83
        kbloverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe once I get good at it, I'll share a recipe I created for Cheddar Basil Sweet Rolls.

First time it...sucked. Well, not sucked, but it was lacking in the cheese and basil department.

Second time, much better - I don't think it's there yet.

Most fun ever though. I need to search some baking hubs here...

2. profile image0

Clearly, you are confused!  Certainly you must be a gal, wink

1. kblover profile image83

Oh man - well...at least they can "correct" things like this these days big_smile

3. shibashake profile image81

Kb - just ask Wally. He has all the answers.

Behind every top 20 hubber stands a really smart dog! And they don't need no stinkin shoes wink

Heh, too bad he can't write hubs for me. Maybe I'll stand a chance big_smile

Ugh, don't get me started on "dog shoes". I order some for the winter - they kept coming off. His hairy paws makes them hard to size as well.

Anyway, I asked him, do you think I'm a guy or a girl? He just sniffed my breath LOL

lol - I know what you are saying with those dog shoes. They need more sizes than just s,m,l,xl smile

Wally knows the answer - he is just waiting for you to make him an offer he can't refuse. Maybe holding out for some of that Cheddar Basil Sweet Rolls wink

Dang greedy dog!

I've already fed him some of my pizza and apple cake (yeah, yeah, so it was weeks ago).

He had some of the rolls the last time! Well, I guess I better get baking tonight... big_smile

17. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

Enormously profound sound bytes!  Imagine, you have ALL females down here, particularly me, and probably all in the world through amazingly one-note sentences.

Not to mention that poor guy who likes to cook! wink

LOL...  I think this was supposed to be an amusing post--hence the answers. wink

18. abhitgo profile image60
    abhitgoposted 14 years ago

Men read woman's hub more often than mens....
    Maybe thats the case

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)