Deleting Fans

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Isabella Snow profile image85
    Isabella Snowposted 16 years ago

Paul.. love being able to delete comments, but can we also have the option to delete fans? There are some who are really intent on promoting themselves that way, and will try again once they've seen their fanmail has been denied.

2. SunSeven profile image61
    SunSevenposted 16 years ago

I second Isa on this one. I would like to have an option in accepting or rejecting a fan request. If possible, that is. smile
    Best Regards

Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Says the hubber with a zillion fans!! wink

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I think we had a thread on this already...

I seem to vaguely recall a passing comment about wanting to delete fanmail, but if there was a specific request to delete actual fans, you'll have to show me a link, because I don't recall it.

4. SunSeven profile image61

There are more than 110000 registered members here right now. If I or Isa want to, we can post fan mail with links to our own profiles on each one of these members. That, if approved will be a great plus. I know that, who has left the most fan mail at HP and who have joined the most fan clubs. smile On second thoughts, I stick to Isa's point(Strongly)

5. Isabella Snow profile image85

Precisely... I realize some degree of self-promotion is normal, and I realize you can deny fanmail with links/request to visit their hubs, but then some of them leave/rejoin your fanclub and try it again.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Hubpages do not have search on the forums sad I tried to eyeball the list of threads on several forums, but failed...

I do remember posting an answer about this however... along the lines that it is pretty much like in real life - you can't pick your fans, and I like that resemblance smile

So - no - I'm against this, sorry girls tongue

7. Isabella Snow profile image85

Why not?? Most people wouldnt want to deny fans, so I dont think it would affect anyone other than those people who use that method for spamming.

8. SunSeven profile image61

May be an 'ignore' feature along with what we have discussed will be useful, I think. smile

How do you mean...?

1. SunSeven profile image61
        SunSevenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

The option of ignoring(after we deny their fan mail) the persistent fan mail posters, so that when they try to post again once we deny their fan mail, some sort of message like 'sorry, you can not post fan mail for this user' appears for them.

9. SunSeven profile image61

Misha, I think you have not noticed that there is a search forums feature at HP. smile
    (On a lighter side you are the one who should tell us the sign posts and meanings smile)

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Oooooooooops - my bad! :redcheek:

Yep, if you go to the forums start page, it's there... I'll try to search later, I have to run now...

10. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Because it is exactly like in real life - you can ignore your fans, but you can't deny them from being your fans. Whatever reason for that they have....

You can't stop people from obsessing over you, but you can damn sure get a restraining order against some of them. wink

1. Jerrico Usher profile image56
        Jerrico Usherposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Just give them some of your good old fashioned personality that should chase them away Isa..

1. gamergirl profile image85
          gamergirlposted 16 years agoin reply to this

This kind of stuff is why I wrote:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/1859

1. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

agree sad

11. Isabella Snow profile image85

Ooh, yes, I vote for that!

It would be even nicer if they could be somehow kept from commenting on hubs - in advance, I mean. Some of them are really shameless!

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You Bet! smile

12. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Here you go: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/1342

Thanks for the hint, SunSeven smile

Oh, yeah, and ignore thing gets my vote big_smile

13. Isabella Snow profile image85

Yep, that's the one I remember, but it's not a formal request like this thread is, I think they were just asking if it was already possible... besides, I don't think Paul has said no yet. wink

14. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

He didn't. Neither yes nor no smile

15. Isabella Snow profile image85

Well there you go.

Maybe he will still say yes!

16. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

I haven't had this problem, but I see where it could be a problem with obsessive comments, or attempts at leaving fanmail. I would third some kind of denial process for fans or permanent denial of fanmail.

Just to show you an example of one of these comments - totally spam, obviously. Comes from the same fan I was talking about earlier.

"GREAT HUB. DO VISIT MY HUB ON RAJESH KHANNA'S BIRTHDAY ON 29TH DECEMBER. THE REAL AND THE ONLY SUPERSTAR OF INDIAN CINEMA TILL TODAY"

At least if I could disallow him from being a fan, he wouldnt automatically know when Ive published a new hub. That would at least slow the spam down..

17. Isabella Snow profile image85

Well hopefully this will be a possible addition. I'm getting whole paragraphs of quoted text now, from what I can only assume are Bollywood movie synopses..

This is one of the reasons being able to ban certain people from commenting would be helpful, cos even when you flag them as spam, they still keep coming back.

18. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

I know on some of my blogs I have the option to edit whatever comment is left. I often edit out language that I dont appreciate or leave a good comment but edit out links...
    If we could edit fan mail that would do it too, wouldn't it?

I dont think that would be a good idea, Marye, it would allow people to change your comments to anything they wanted...

19. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

hmm you are right..I enjoy the capability personally for the reasons I stated but I wasnt thinking about people changing them to something else.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)