jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Why do totally unrelated keywords appear in Google Analytics for hubs?

1. simeonvisser profile image84
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

Why do totally unrelated keywords appear in Google Analytics for hubs?

When looking through my Google Analytics I keep seeing keywords that have lead people to my hubs but those words have nothing to do with the content of my hub. Why?

2. hassann profile image72
    hassannposted 7 years ago

I believe this is to do with people entering hubpages and then looking around to eventually find your hub. They start with a completely irrelevant hub written by someone else that contains the key word, then they sort of click through profiles, followers, hubs etc. and they view your hub in the process. For google analytics, it is that first completely irrelevant key word that led the person to your hub.

3. simeonvisser profile image84
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

I see, thanks. Still interesting but I'll have to focus on the related keywords I guess. Thanks for your answer!

4. katescottuk profile image56
    katescottukposted 7 years ago

Hassann is correct, Google tracks where your visitor has been using cookies and other systems (that they are not keen to discuss). Every time a search query is generated using one of Googles many systems they track where the search ends up... Hence if a visitor to your hub page from a totally unrelated keyword phrase Google records this query and displays it in your analytics. Hope this helps...

5. Pink Mingos profile image60
    Pink Mingosposted 7 years ago

These are great answers, and the truth is, those keywords are actually more useful to hubpages.com than they are to us, unless the person specifically clicked on one of your articles in the first place. (as described below).

All of our analytics keywords combined, really tell hubpages.com which topics are bringing readers to their site.

The good thing about seeing these "unrelated to our hubs" keywords in our analytic reports, is that it also gives us an idea about what readers are looking for.  I would say that if you see several key words repeated in your report, it would be a good idea to research them and get started writing Hub articles about them!