Better To Just Focus On Adsense?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)
  1. pepperlynn76 profile image60
    pepperlynn76posted 14 years ago

Hello fellow hubbers!

I am curious if it is better to just focus on having adsense featured on hubs and removing amazon and ebay boxes. It's my understanding that Amazon only has a 24 hour cookie. I have had amazon and ebay listings on several of my other niche sites and I have probably only earned about $4.00 from each in a year's time. Adsense on the other hand, has earned me a decent amount in a year's time so far.

2. PhilD41 profile image67
    PhilD41posted 14 years ago

I think it depends on the type of hub it is.  For myself, I haven't earned much with either, but I am new to this online revenue world.  I know there are some on there that have done well with Amazon.  The key is for it to be relevant.  If you are writing a hub about something that others might be interested in buying, you should probably consider having an amazon link.  If you hub really isn't leading a person to a product or type of product it probably won't do you much good.

Just my 2 cents.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

I use all three.  But I also earn significantly more than $4/year from both Amazon and eBay.

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

This has been discussed several times and I'm not sure we've agreed on a conclusion!

As Relache says, she does well with all three, but she's very clever at creating Hubs tailored to maximize sales.   Judging by the talk on the forums, most other Hubbers find their Amazon and eBay sales lag a long way behind Adsense.

The thing about Amazon and eBay capsules is that they look pretty, so they attract the reader's eye and are tempting to click on, even if they're not keen to buy.  So I don't use them unless I can find products that are tightly targeted to the subject of the Hub.  I want my reader to leave by clicking on an ad that's going to make a sale, so I'd rather they click on the Adsense ad if I can't find really good products for Amazon/eBay.

5. Rynaldos profile image63
    Rynaldosposted 14 years ago

My personal opinion: eBay and Amazon is NOT profitable at all ! Adsense IS ! Amazon and eBay just cloud your hubs and makes it look over commercial, at the same time, the readers pay no attention to the ads?

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I depends upon what you write about.  I've made a lot of money from Amazon, actually.  A LOT more than Adsense.  So, again, it's all about what you gear your hubs towards...

1. Rynaldos profile image63
        Rynaldosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some people are lucky and some aint ! Thats just my opinion. Yes, if you want your hubs to just 'sell' and be all 'commercial' its all good. I just think that hubpages is not an escape goat for all this. Many people forget what HP is all about. Yes eBay and Amazon is part of this i know, but not for wrong reasons. (Not saying you do). Just there is more people NOT finding this profitable in any way than what there are finding this profitable. To me, it just clouds my hubs, takes up space and not make any money ! Adsense is way better id say !

2. profile image31
        564626posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you know the secret of writing and selling stuffs. Because affiliate marketing is completely different from pay per click marketing.

Good Comment LOL i think she does. As far i understand, Amazon is one endless struggle. I know a lady that made $14 in 3 years.

6. jacobkuttyta profile image44
    jacobkuttytaposted 14 years ago

I am new here.  Thanks for your advice.  So far I have made some dollers through adsense. I couldn't complete the signup of Ebay till now.  Nothing from amazon.

I know what you mean. I was going to give eBay a chance. For some weird reason i am still awaiting their promised "e-mail" ! Having endless trouble signing up. Just a waste

7. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

Why not just experiment? Try hubs with and without, or in various combinations, of all the various affiliates. Give each hub some time and then see what works best for you.

One thing about this "business" is that things seems to work differently for everyone. What works best for me may not work for you and vice-versa.

I've actually had pretty good results with Amazon. I'm just starting to add eBay and I've had clicks already...so far so good but we'll see.

8. Rynaldos profile image63
    Rynaldosposted 14 years ago

Thats great Aqua. Like i said above, ot doesnt work for everyone.

9. expectus profile image74
    expectusposted 14 years ago

Adsense and Amazon seem to the best options and ebay if you get accepted ,forget Kontera:), Amazon isn't too shabby but it does take a lot of trial and error to get sales.

I only made around 6 sales on amazon last month and most of them where for products I didn't write about :S which is strange but whatever works smile

10. Kudlit profile image64
    Kudlitposted 14 years ago

If you look at wordscribe41's hubs, she doesn't sound like she's selling. She's telling personal experiences. She's showing how to fix problems that she encountered herself. Her hubs are really useful.

She doesn't recommend products that she haven't tried (judging from how she talks about the products in her hubs). Personal recommendation is really very powerful. That's why she's successful with Amazon.

Mark Knowles is another hubber who is successful with Amazon. Check out their hubs and learn from them. Mark Knowles created a hub about earning from Amazon that's really helpful to anyone who wants to earn from Amazon.

I sold a few underarm creams through Amazon, myself. Create hubs that solve problems. The sales should follow.

1. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks.  Yes, everyone uses products, everyone has products they love.  So, reviewing the ones you love is a great way to go.  I really do want to share with people how awesome I think they are...  In fact, that's WHY I started writing them.  It just so happens I sell a lot on Amazon.  Thanks, Kudit.

11. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Since nobody is giving ebay its due, ill point out how profitable it can be.

In my own experience here:

My own affiliate links are the profit leaders at about 400-500% more than all my other sales/clicks combined

eBay and Adsense are about tied - adsense is more regular and dependable but ebay catches up by giving me 5-10/sales commissions rather regularly

Amazon does great for me outside of hubs, but at 4-6% commission and only a 24 hour cookie it works best with higher volume traffic than my hubs command

but eBay is great! especially when you land the ACRU's and have a decent quality rating

1. pepperlynn76 profile image60
      pepperlynn76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I didn't even think about putting in my own affiliate links. I'll look into that.

12. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

If you make the mistake in thinking that HubPages is a blog and just write a lot of personal stuff, you are going to have a lot more challenges earning anything than if you write evergreen Hubs that serve a purpose.

And there are several Hub authors who make a lot more money via Amazon or eBay than AdSense.  Why?  Because they write Hubs meant to do that, and they do it well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)