Some Help From Those More Experienced

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (52 posts)
  1. Dale Mazurek profile image60
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Only because I do not want to anger anyone.

I am looking for help or maybe advice on doing something right.

I have started a blog about Hubbers.

My question is can I post other peoples Hubs on this blog or do I have to get permission.

What I want to do is a say 200 character summary of the hub and then post the link.

I would not be changing anything and it would provide a back link but just want to know if I need permission.

Basically i would pick a Hub a day that I like best and post it.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

1. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just link. You'll find most folks are happy to have a link. What may not be a strong one now may change in the future. I think the thing no one likes (at all!) is being plagiarised. That's just plain filthy.

Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh no will not be taking credit for anyones work.  i would like I said do a short summary and then provide the exact link to the hub.

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

You can help yourself with mine - but I would not expect doing this would anger anyone. we all like incoming links. smile

3. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

Fire away, Dale - advertising is always nice smile

4. Dale Mazurek profile image60

Well so far the vote is very positive,  blog is built and has first post.

really looking forward to maintaining this blog

5. Gennifer profile image52
    Genniferposted 14 years ago

Nice idea, Dale! I'm for! wink

6. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Go for it, love the links!

7. profile image0
    Useful Knowledgeposted 14 years ago

I think you should go for it. Maybe it will increase traffic at HP. Noone would be angry about that. BTW..how have you been?

8. darkside profile image57
    darksideposted 14 years ago

If the summary if written by you and original (not the introduction of the actual hub) then there certainly can be no backlash. Or if there is then the person complaining must be mentally unhinged.

1. Sufidreamer profile image80
      Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I seem to remember that we had one of those a few weeks back. Very strange hmm

Actually that post a few weeks ago is exactly what I was talking about and really didnt want to anger anyone.

But yes consensus says go for it and I am,  if anyone gets angry I will simply delete the post and replace it with a different hub

I thought that was kind of odd as well.

9. gamergirl profile image88
    gamergirlposted 14 years ago

Oooh oooh pick me! I love free links. big_smile

~skitters back off to the HubFreaks padded room~

10. lakeerieartists profile image63
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

I would think any hubber would love that.

11. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I am perfectly OK with it Dale, and will be grateful. As well as any sane person person around I would think. Of course you have a lot of crazies here, and some will take offense - so the best way is to pick hubs of those who positively reacted to this thread - hint, hint! wink

12. atomswifey profile image57
    atomswifeyposted 14 years ago

I think yes it would be beneficial for most hubbers smile

13. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Ya gotta say yes !

14. profile image0
    rednckwmnposted 14 years ago

What a nice guy you are Dale. How are you these days? Haven't seen ya around much.

Thanks for the compliment.  I have been around I guess we just havent crossed paths.  Hell I am so addicted to this place its not even funny,  Ya its a bit funny lol.

15. profile image0
    Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years ago

followed the Captain on over! Sure, I love creative criticism! I am not a -super hubber- but I hub none the less!

ttfn.

16. mommyfreelancer profile image73
    mommyfreelancerposted 14 years ago

Hope I get featured someday in that blog! smile Goodluck, Dale!

1. emievil profile image69
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto! Looking forward to reading your blog Dale. smile

17. sunforged profile image75
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

I do it rather regularly at my sites, Im not just a hubber here, I also pursue referral traffic revenue via trackers.

I personally do a lot of hub promotion..and I do see revenue in my adsense that comes up under my blanket hubpages channel but not in any of my individual hub channels..and when I check my stats I see that a couple of hubbers are getting increased traffic as a result too

I would love to hear any reasons someone may come up with that why they would not like  free promotion

1. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just search the forums LOL

18. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I cant see why anybody would have a problem with that. As long as it is not copied word for word (so you summarised in your own words, and not just copy and paste the introduction), I think that people would have to be an idiot to object. So if you ever find anything of mine that you like, feel free wink

19. charanjeet kaur profile image60
    charanjeet kaurposted 14 years ago

Featuring there would only be like a win win situatioon. Hoping to be featured one day myself. All the best for your blog...

20. Dale Mazurek profile image60

What great feed back.  I have also decided that I may do more than one a day, perhaps 3 or 4 just because there are so many great hubbers and hubs.

Its not much of a blog yet but you can see it started by finding the link in my profile.

Will also work at driving outside traffic to it and in the future may enlist the help of Hubbers to help me pick their favorite hubs.  Of course it would have to be someone elses hub you choose but if you choose and it gets featured then you to would get credit for choosing it.

I guess we will see but why not hey

21. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

At my (now ex) job, I did the same thing. I added a blog to their website and basically followed targeted Google alerts and took the stories, summarized and linked to them. We saw about a 30% uptick in traffic to the site.

We didn't have Adsense on the blog -- just affiliate banners and such. But the folks finding their way to the blog weren't ad clickers. So it brought in traffic, but then I had to find a way to drive that traffic to the website where we could potentially see a return.

22. viryabo profile image95
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

It sounds like a great idea to me. Though i don't know if i'm that experienced yet. Would feel honoured to be included. I don't know much about blogging (Yet!), and i would like to learn more about it. I'm already inspired. That is if i make the list. wink

23. pageantgirl31413 profile image73
    pageantgirl31413posted 14 years ago

I don't think anyone would have a problem with it. It would also be great insight to other hubbers about what a reader is looking for and liking about hubs.

Great idea! I look forward to reading them.

24. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Cool, what's not to like about this?

25. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

There isn't any issues with it that I know of, I have written several hubs referencing other hubbers I am certain it will be just fine. smile

26. profile image0
    SirDentposted 14 years ago

Just do it Dale.

27. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

Curious that anyone would actually think it was an issue - I had someone today (not a hubber) go to the trouble to contact me via the contact button here to ask if he could quote and link to my hub from his totally relevant website.....

anyone one who knows anything about seo would be delighted
    anyone who knows anything about publicity would be delighted

so who are the other idiots who would get upset ?

28. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Lissie, I think that that was a very professional person. If somemone summarizes my work, I think it's a nice courtesy to let me review the summary. It also give me the opportunity of returning the favor.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This works only on a very small scale. When you have 1500 people do a write up and link to you - this is not practical. wink

And Dale - I have a website I was planning on doing something similar with - adding snippets and links to hubs that help people use hubpages . You are welcome to use it if that helps. I have not had time to get around to it yet LOL
      http://hubmentors.com/

I would definatly be interested in talking to you about maybe working together on that site.  It looks like it could be a great investment of time if done properly.

Lets chat when time allows

2. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did mean that you HAVE to do it. Lissie just seemed amazed that anyone would do it. And I do it all the time - every time I link to someone. Sometimes people do object and I just take it off.

29. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

I assume the reason people get upset is that they worry about the duplicate content flag (if the intro is quoted from the Hub), or they feel like their work is being taken advantage of somehow.

But as everyone says, any more experienced Hubber would be delighted with the publicity!

I assure there isnt any duplicate content on the blog.  I use the original title then I do a summary of my own words and then a link back to the Hub

I have started and you can get the link through my profile page.  Not sure if I should put it here.  Actually ya Im pretty sure I am not supposed to put it here.

2. Appletreedeals profile image65
      Appletreedealsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I might get upset if you don't review me! (lol) Don't let all those stodgy old experienced hubbers get the goodies.

But regarding your question... seriously, nice of you to ask but only a dummy would refuse a free link.

Oh it wont be just the veterans getting the recognition.  It will be what ever catches my eye.  I wont care if its an affiliate hub, poetry or just something of general interest.

As long as I feel it is well written then it will get on the blog.

By the way dude I do like your new attitude on marketing.  Feel free to send me a message anytime you want to chat business and no not to sell you anything lol.

Thank and cheers

30. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

Nice thing you're doing here Dale! Sounds like a win-win to me. smile

Well I know I am going to enjoy the heck out of it and thanks

31. rmcrayne profile image92
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Dale,

I’m really glad you’re doing the blog.  I know you want to bring outside traffic in, but assume that your early devotees will be hubbers.  Is this fair to say?

I would love it if you would have a “corner” for featuring hubs/hubbers directed at the uber newbie hubber audience.  I contacted Larry F about 2 wks ago posing a request. 

I suggested something to make it easier for new hubbers to find the How to Hub hubs and mentors who gear to beginners. I started out reading lots of Lissie and a little Mark Knowles, because they pop up on various opening pages and side bars.  No one disputes how much they have to offer, but I would now consider them more intermediate and advanced.

When starting, there is too much information.  It’s overwhelming.  For those of us willing to do our homework, a ranking of some kind would be really helpful. 

I suggested to Larry something like an ongoing vote and ranking by hubbers of 1 year or less, of helpful beginner level How To Hub hubs/hubbers or a Hub Page, similar to HubNuggets but the reverse. Or some kind of ranking of Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced on How To Hub hubs.

He did bring it up with the staff.  His reply in part was: 

Everyone seemed open to the suggestion.  One thought was that we could call out well-written "beginner-level" hubs in the weekly HubPages newsletter.

All I ask is that you think on the idea, and after HP makes their decision on if/how they will go with this, you could take it from a different, but still very helpful perspective. 

Rose Mary

I think I see what you are getting at and it really does sound like a great idea.

I will put some thought into trying to incorporate it into the blog or maybe even starting a new blog.

Let me put some thought into it.

Cheers

32. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Drop me a line through my profile page - any time.

33. sunforged profile image75

One way in which contacting a hubber when you link to them may be very appreciated is if we are pursuing certain terms it would e quite a boon if you would use our selected  keywords as your anchor text rather than just the title.

Which may not always be immediately obvious

Well you can go through my profile to see exactly how Im doing it right now, May be a bit mickey mouse at first but I do feel good about what it can become

34. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

200 characters is lot ... make it 100 or 150 so that it will look like a small rss feed

35. sunforged profile image75

dale,

example

your post:

breast cancer treatment(link anchor text to hub)

I choose this hub because as a guy I read every word and feel I am much better educated now. I could actually understand what Lily Rose was saying. She kept the science out of it except where it needed to be. Also she is a prime example of people who do what ever it takes. This Hub definatly deserves to be read.

Read Lilys entire hub here(link with whatever text you please)

by giving us that anchor text you are being infinitely more helpful than a simple "read more"

Great service either way, better service with the anchor text

36. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

You know sunforged, I don't know if I've done that or not - anchor text on the keyword of a hub. I'm going to check and remedy if need be. TY smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)