How come celebrity hubs get so much traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (22 posts)
  1. rumbling profile image49
    rumblingposted 14 years ago

I recently made a hub about a celebrity to in the hope of getting it to rank high for that term. I didn't even spend much time on it , it was just an experiment. It's a Sri Lanka actress I'm sure none of you have even heard about but it consistently gets around 70-80 hub views per day and most of them is from HubPages :S , I know that internal linking plays a part in getting traffic but since none of my other hubs get this much traffic. Is this normal for celebrity lenses or its just an anomaly ?

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

They are popular but don't get any revenue from them hmm least that's what the word around HP is. Hope that helps.

1. Ronaldos profile image60
      Ronaldosposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. What you want is organic traffic. Everyone at HP knows internal traffic here is not of any benefit to you. Try working on some other ideas. Besides, Dame Scribe is right, you are not going to make anything out of that hub in the long and short run of it.

1. kirstenblog profile image80
        kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wonder if hubpages traffic is really so useless for us? I know we should not click each others google ads but I know amazon is alright with it as they don't pay unless they make a sale. My thought is that google rates our pages by the traffic they generate and how often that traffic actually sticks around and does not 'bounce', do they actually care where you are getting that traffic from so long as the page is popular? I have the impression that google is looking to rank highly those pages and sites that are popular. Yes on the surface internal traffic is not profitable (unless we buy each others amazon stuff) I just am not convinced that there is no domino effect that might lead to better ranking with google, thus more traffic, thus more click throughs.

3. pisco profile image60
    piscoposted 14 years ago

Well the answer is really on the topic, celebrity = fame = hits, i am starting to write on some famous names also, and i can relate to huge increase in hits, about revenue i still dont know, but it must be lower than an article of a specific product, that is for sure.

And it is harder to relate a celebrity with something that can be bought or clicked for some interest.

4. kirstenblog profile image80
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

What kinds of ads does google put on these types of pages?

I ask because while its a long shot people do spend money on the gossip mags n such.

Is there an internet version of these mags that would show up as ads?

5. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Everyone likes gossip unless it is about them.

1. visitmaniac profile image59
      visitmaniacposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL very well put

2. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

beautifully put ralwus.

6. rumbling profile image49

In my case the ads are related , some are regarding Sri Lanka and some are about Indian celebrities , so I guess they are related enough.

7. mymagicview profile image64
    mymagicviewposted 14 years ago

I have so many celebrity hubs and they are getting 0-5 hits (each) every day...So I don't think celebrity hubs get so much traffic, if there are so many articles already written on them.

8. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

suppose it depends on who the celebrity is, write one about BRAD PITT I WILL READ IT

1. futurenetads profile image60
      futurenetadsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your  right

9. Jery profile image60
    Jeryposted 14 years ago

I think if your goal is to make money with AdSense you have to be aware of what the keywords you are targeting will pay. If you target keywords that cost advertisers $.05, well you aren't going to make much money regardless of how much traffic you can generate. If you target keywords that cost advertisers $35.00 you of course can make bank with just a few clicks. If I'm writing something (hub, post, article, whatever)and my goal is targeted traffic, and AdSense money I ALWAYS spend time doing keyword research, to:

1. Target a keyword or phrase I think I can rank for.
    2. Target a keyword or phrase that will pay what I want to earn for a click.

10. rumbling profile image49

Thank you all for the replies and the advice , As I mentioned its a Sri Lankan celebrity most of you haven't even heard about so that is why I was a bit surprised about the amount of traffic hug pages generated.Anyway as most of you have mentioned I didn't earn much from that traffic.
    Anyway my experiment was whether I could get it to rank quickly and high in the search engines just because its a hub. No back links ,no social book marking just a hub.Although it's in the second page for the actress name I'm getting search engine traffic from related terms like sexy , photos , videos , biography and some totally unrelated ones like actress armpit , indian mallu etc which is totally beyond my comprehension

11. wrenfrost56 profile image54
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

The world loves celebrities, we live in a celebrity culture and I guess as long there are celebrities there are going to be people who want to read about them. Yes even me, I read the celebrity stuff too, I know shame on me!lol

12. Internetwriter62 profile image79
    Internetwriter62posted 14 years ago

I agree, I write a lot about service celebrities, such as Kim Woodburn or Susan Powter. I do get a good score for those. I think is it because people often search the web to learn more about famous people.

13. tobey100 profile image62
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

I would say because alot of people have no life of their own and live vicariously through the stars.  Or, maybe not.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this must be true..
      I have no idea why there is such fascination with celebrities.
      I think it's crazy the amount of people that buy those check out tabloids... come on who cares??? most of it isn't true anyway.

they're just people who made it big.

14. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

You can always write about me lol

1. tobey100 profile image62
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

We wouldn't be able to write anything bad!!

15. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

More people search for celebrities than nearly anything else, strange culture we live in!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)