more views from Google than on hubpages.

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (34 posts)
  1. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

Well, it seems to me that my traffic is never going to increase.
    I am lucky to get one hit a week now, and the only traffic I am getting is from google.

I know that being away for a while doesn't help much, but none of my other sites are doing any better. With all the stuff that is going on with my brother, and summer plans, I don't have much time to be on here. That and my home dial-up connection just keeps getting slower and slower.

I do most of my internet work at the library. So, if you have been wondering why I am not on here much, it's because I only get to the library once a week, and can only use the internet for an hour at a time. Wish it was what I had hoped it would be, but, my work here has amounted to almost nothing at all.

1. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Writing hubpages has to be an applied effort and a plan must be made to follow through with, it took me over a year before I worked it out and indeed before I earned regular money here, mind you I had and still have other blogs and websites that I've been learning how to promote them individually too.

If you take the advice, but also keep motivated and stick to a plan and a schedule, your results will be more satisfactory.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You only get traffic from other Hubbers when your Hubs are fairly new.  Then you're reliant on the search engines, which is a good thing as that's where the paying visitors comes from.

It can take a few months for your Hubs to rank well enough to get search engine traffic, but if you're still not getting traffic after 6 months, you're choosing the wrong topics.

You can't just write about any old thing and expect to make money.  You have to ask yourself, what do people want to know about?  When people open Google, what questions are they typing in, and can I write Hubs to answer them?

You don't have to write blatantly selling Hubs if you don't want to, but if your goal is money, your Hubs do need a selling "angle".  For instance, I have a Hub about Margot Fonteyn with Amazon ads for books about her.

3. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry there's no gentler way to say this, Brian, but you are going to have to do actual work if you want genuine results.  What you may think of as working on your Hubs appears to be a distinct lack thereof.

A lot of people having a lot of success on this site have offered you advice every time you bemoan your lack of results, and you don't seem to be listening to or acting upon any of it.

Your Hubs are not well-written, useful, helpful, informational resources for your readers.  As such, they don't get traffic and they sure as heck aren't going to earn anything.

Case in point, "Monsters!  What scares you 2!"

Title seems to indicate that content will be about phobias or fear.  Or does it mean the author didn't know if he should use "to" or "too" or "also" at the end of the sentence?  Or is a continuation of another Hub?  URL for the Hub ends in "my thriller bits."  Is the Hub about Michael Jackson's Thriller? 

The Hub then goes into a blog-like passage titled "Keeping It Real" which seems to be about writing, which doesn't actually provide useful info about writing, just sort of a ramble of opinions about personal likes and dislikes. 

Then there's a passage of what seems to be Star Trek fan fiction.

Then there's a section called "What's Next?" in which you sort of critique the Hub and what you are writing.

Then you have a cartoon that is unrelated to anything you've put in the Hub so far.  And a poll asking if we, the readers, like it.

The retail capsules are for video games and books on writing science fiction. 

The tags are just a bunch of words that do not distill down what the Hub is about.  The hub is not about monsters.  It's not about creatures.  Those words might be used in the Hub, but those are not the focused topics presented.

Why would someone want to read this Hub?  How would it help them?  Why would they click an ad on this Hub or buy something?  Based on the type of Hub you've made, you are getting the sort of results I'd expect.

The main things that a well-performing (gets traffic) and well-earning (gets money) Hub has is a tight focus and a useful purpose.  Your Hubs don't do that.  There's a crapload of helpful info on this site about how to make good Hubs (like the Learning Center) and how to gear them for earning, but you have to actually read the material and then apply it to get results.  In other words, actually do genuine work that really takes time and effort.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Relache rarely takes the time to give such a thorough critique, Brian, so you should be honoured. It will be tough to read because it tells you some truths you may not want to hear - but it's spot on.

2. brimancandy profile image79
        brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are probably right. But, I never said that I was a great writer. Also coming up with titles for hubs isn't that easy. I wanted to make my monster hub unique. I supose if I had given it a diferent title it may have worked, but, I agree that it isn't that great. I also had no plans to make it informative, as you suggest. I wrote it mainly to entertain.

I have heard other comparisons to Star Trek which is kind of interesting that my writing would be compared to that, as that was not my intention.
        At any rate, I do not plan to write more hubs like my monster hub. I wrote it basicaly to see what kind of responce it would receive.

I have had good responces and bad ones, but any responce is better than none. So, thanks for whatever advice you can give.

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Feel for you Briman - but if you still don't make any money, may be - just may be - you are doing something wrong or not doing something that you need to do?

I have not made any money at all. Not a single sale from Amazon either. But, I wonder if I would even know if I did. There is no way to track them to see if their reports are true. I think at last check, I had made 90 cents at Adsense.

I have made around $3.00 at redgage, and haven't been on there long.

1. barryrutherford profile image75
        barryrutherfordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if it appeases you i have not made a single cent(holds my breath) from Amazon or Ebay in nearly three years

Yikes! That is depressing! I hope you have made money with other avenues. It seems to me that the only people who might benefit from our hubs are the advertisers. they get free space with millions of views, and pay little or nothing for it. very sad.

yes i have made a couple of hundred dollars with Adsense I did though go AWOL from Hubpages for about 10 months...

2. barryrutherford profile image75

if you were getting millions of views trust me you would be making money  You can see how may views you have had by looking at your statisitcs page.  I guess youll be luck to have had 10,000 right >

As of today I have only 1100 views to all of my hubs combined. But, I'm no longer woried about it. If it come it comes.

3. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Bri, if what you're doing isn't working, you have to change what you're doing. Don't keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.

Darkside he has only posted 7 hubs... nobody should really expect to make money with seven hubs...

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why?

1. darkside profile image63
          darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Having looked at Bri's hubs I'd say they were done without keyword research or experience, so perhaps even 70 hubs of the same won't earn him much more.

But 7 hubs of that caliber isn't going to give a person a fighting chance of earning much Adsense revenue.

4. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

He has posted enough "this is not working " posts to have written a further 99 hubs.

( I see you have changed your titles - good move there)

Write your hubs by hand - type them up and post them at the library

take Darksides advice on -insanity - to heart

mmm i missed that point ! tongue

5. Andrew0208 profile image57
    Andrew0208posted 13 years ago

Learning and applying valued information from hubs and hubbers will make the difference. I take this path continually to gain good results.

6. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

How can you expect to earn much money on 7 hubs?  And you've only been here 6 months.  It takes time here, and writing more articles about different subjects will help you find out which subjects will work for you.

I am pleased with my progress even though I don't produce hubs very quickly.  I don't backlink much but still my Adsense has increased by almost half again each of the last few months.

Having one good article to link from seems to make a big  difference in my experience.  You eventually learn by trial and error what may or may not work. 

Anyway, why not try writing a few more articles before deciding it isn't going to work for you.  Just my 2 cents worth!

7. Dale Nelson profile image39
    Dale Nelsonposted 13 years ago

Hi Briman,

I had a read through your Kiss Sonic Boom hub and found it to be a great review. I agree with the hubbers though that your keywords are very generic and dont match up with your content.
    eg. The word Kiss will be all over the internet and is hard to get traffic for, but KISS sonic boom is very specific and so you should find those words in your review for at least 2% of the total words used for google to recognise the article is about sonic boom.

Hope this sheds some light.
    Dale

8. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 13 years ago

You can make a lot with a single hub if you...

1. Do keyword research and find keywords that people usually type into Google. Use Google Adwords Keyword Tool for this.

2. Create good links, I just usually use variants of the keywords.

3. Create multiple hubs/pages/sites interlinking between them to keep people on your hubs/pages/sites - therefore more chance of earning.

4. Create more backlinks, lots of backlinks. Digg, Shetoldme, Propeller, forums, Wordpress.com, Blogger, etc.

Granted you would make a heck of a lot more if you had more hubs, since it increases your chances of sales/clicks/etc.

9. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

Brian I would suggest you take some pointers from all the hubbers that are really successful like relache, mark knowles, nellie hoxie, sunforged and others because they have been there done that and they know what works and what doesn't, but as has already been mentioned, take time to plan your hubs out, do research and wait, because the longer you are on hubpages the more exposure your hubs will get in the search engines.

10. Aficionada profile image81
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

For your writing, if you have a non-internet computer at home, write up your rough drafts on it, save them to a memory stick and take that to the library.  It will save you a lot of time and frustration and make your time at the library more productive.

Or, conversely, copy your work from your Hubs onto a memory stick at the library and take that home to do editing and tweaking, then back to the library.  It may sound like a lot of back-and-forth work, but I believe it will maximize your time.

If your computer won't work with a memory stick, just go the old-fashioned route and use floppy disks.  They still work in a lot of situations. smile

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Public Library computers unfortunately rarely allow you to upload anything to them. They are locked down.

Small local colleges often have computers in their libraries that have little to no restrictions on their use.

1. Aficionada profile image81
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You may very well be right as far as a memory stick is concerned, but at our public library I have used floppy disks in the past.  (I don't remember the specifics.)  Wouldn't it be possible to do a copy and paste to move material from one computer to another?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Most modern PC's don't have a floppy disc slot.  Public libraries in Australia often have the CD slot disabled so people can't download stuff that might contain a virus.

11. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Bri, ignore everything that's been said in this thread as a distraction and concentrate and focus on this one post.

12. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

if you absolutely must have choices - this post is good too

13. Richieb799 profile image73
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

If you get more views from Google than Hubpages that is a good thing! Organic traffics get the adsense clicks, write more hubs, I've been here 6 months and I'm 2/3 way to payout smile

14. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

Well, they are not exactly universal truths Marisa. I would think I can take Bri's hubs and make them working at least to some extent in a month or two, with all the changes on-site being changing the titles and adding/removing a handful of words lol

But I won't do this. As Relache rightfully said, the guy ignores all meaningful advice - hence the results smile

15. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

Brian I started reading and studying hubs on hubbing, traffic, keywords, etc 5 weeks before I published my first hub.  And I haven't stopped reading.  I have hubs printed &/or bookmarked by many of the hubbers on this thread. 

Do you know Ringo Star?  "If you wanna sing the blues, then you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy."

16. Research Analyst profile image73
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

You may just want to invest in a mini laptop from acer you can find them at stores like walmart for as little as $200 dollars and then you can take your laptop to free wi-fi spots, colleges, libraries, courthouses, even coffee shops to get more articles written and submitted to hubpages.

That reminds me some universities allow the public to come and use the computers in the lab or library or computer center, and you have no limit on the amount of time you can use them. The kind of writing you do is considered research so if you plan your week right you could get alot done.

And that goes for law libraries too, sometimes they have a public computer that is available to the public and has internet access, just check around.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)