jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Should a newbie attempt the 100 Hub Challenge?

1. Anne Losch profile image65
    Anne Loschposted 5 years ago

Should a newbie attempt the 100 Hub Challenge?

Recently I joined Hub pages.  I have 2 published hubs, and 17 unpublished hubs that I want to work on.  My question is: should I work on creating great hubs first before starting a hub challenge or starting the challenge to get recognized and post more hubs?  I'm just afraid that if I work too quickly my hubs will be of poor quality and I will have to edit them after being published in which case visitors are less likely to see the better content.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

Go slow and steady, write long hubs giving visitors all the info they'd need on a particular topic. Put yourself in the shoes of the visitor and you'd know what they want. Add pictures - your own or legally used from flickr, morguefiles or somewhere else. Try adding videos your own or from youtube and other such places.

Write hubs that don't need to be edited for some time and that would result in better hubs. Do a bit of keyword research too. Modify your titles so that they include phrases what people are looking for.

3. profile image0
    ghiblipgposted 5 years ago

100 hubs sound like a good challenge. It question is how long you plan to achieve your target? 100 hubs in a year sound reasonable. I am giving myself a target to write one hub a day starting now. Let's see if I could achieve my target. Keep up the good work friend.

4. jdavis88 profile image94
    jdavis88posted 5 years ago

Both paths have benefits.  Taking it slowly will mean less work later on a hub, happier readers initially.  Going fast will mean you have to develope a quicker discipline which may benefit you more in the long run if you are looking to make some extra money.

5. Rain Defence profile image93
    Rain Defenceposted 5 years ago

Your google rankings are all that matter so it really doesn't matter how you do it as long as you end up with articles that rank well.

6. xstatic profile image60
    xstaticposted 5 years ago

I agree with what you fear would happen. Rushed material without good proofing and illustrations  will not be your best work. Take it slowly and build a following.

7. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago

The 100 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge happened a long time ago and HubPages has never repeated it officially, because it turned out to be a terrible idea.

While some experienced, full-time internet writers were able to manage it, the result was mostly as you say - a flood of short, poor quality Hubs.

A Hub is much more than a blog post - it's a long, informative article, well illustrated with relevant photos, videos and ads and enhanced with polls etc.   It takes time to learn how to put good Hubs together - if you rush into creating a lot at the start, you'll just create a big editing job for yourself!

Take your time, post your first few Hubs in the Extreme Hub Makeover thread to get feedback, and do the 30 Hubs in 30 Days Challenge once you've got a handle on things.

1. EsmeSanBona profile image82
      EsmeSanBonaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Great, informative answer!

working