My HP earnings have bombed thanks to the Penguin, should I jump ship?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Angie Jardine profile image69
    Angie Jardineposted 11 years ago

My HP earnings have bombed thanks to the Penguin, should I jump ship?

Does anyone think it would be better to go with Google Adsense rather than the HubPages payment programme?

2. Teresa Schultz profile image67
    Teresa Schultzposted 11 years ago

I can't speak for others unless I go browsing around throughout the site looking for hubs or forum threads about hubbers actually mentioning which method of earning on HubPages they find is better - the HubPages Ad Program, or Adsense, but for me, the HubPages Ad Program earns me more (I started out on HubPages with just the Adsense, since the HubPages Ad Program had not yet been started.

My Hubpages earnings have also taken a bit of a knock very recently, but I'm going to hang around for longer, and still use the HubPages Ad Program, and see how things turn out after a while (maybe things get back to where they were before.)

If within a few months, things look no better, I don't think I could totally leave HubPages because I love being here, and I love the community, but if one of my main aims is to try and make some passive income on HubPages and the earnings are going down instead of up (or never come back up again) I will seriously consider leaving just a few of my hubs on HubPages and will move the rest to my own sites (which currently earn me more from Adsense than I earn on HubPages from Adsense and the HubPages Ad Program.

Angie Jardineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Teresa - I tried to reply to you yesterday but my response wouldn’t load. You are doing what I had decided to do ... leave it and see what happens. It is just that it all seems to be taking a longer time to respond than when Panda hit.

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

Everyone, and every Hub, is different; so I think people really do have to take a chance and do a little testing for themselves.  I do know that, at least in my case, I've been Ad-Sense-Only for pretty close to all the time since HP ads first became available.  I always found (each time I tested for a short period) that I did better with Ad Sense only.   Recently, Ad Sense had taken such a dive I just decided to switch to HP ads and "forget about it".  For now, I think I'm doing slightly better (MAYBE) with HP ads (but one can never be sure because each day's earnings can be different, things can average out, etc.)  Right now, it's pretty close with either "set-up", but with "the click" factor with Ad Sense, I can't help but think that at least for now, with fewer views a day than previously, counting on clicks isn't necessarily the best thing (at least for me, and particularly since I don't often write product-/sales- aimed Hubs).

Hi Lisa - I have been with HP ads only since they came out and it was building nicely. I don’t write product/sales hubs either and my views are very unpredictable at the moment so I will sit it out for a while longer with the HP Ad Programme and see.

4. hunter1riley profile image80
    hunter1rileyposted 11 years ago

I like Hubpages. I've been creating these pages off and on for around 4 years and have seen Google screw around with them seemingly countless times. Tons of people give up and quit. I'm not sure why if they like the platform. These things are simple to build. Require no maintenance.  I build Hubpages and Squidoo lenses and will keep building them regardless how my self-hosted efforts are paying off. If you're clever you can get traffic to your pages without any help from Google which is what should be your goal anyway. I despise Google and am quite happy when these pages do well despite Google. These social platforms are great for testing ideas. If a niche does well on here then I might try to build a website/blog out of the keywords that I've collected.

Anyway I use both revenue programs. It's worth testing to see which does better on different types of hubs. It's worthwhile to keep track of each hub to see how you can best increase your earnings. Keep testing.

I will. Many thanks, hunter for your suggestions.

5. Alexander Mark profile image80
    Alexander Markposted 11 years ago

It seems like Google is forever rolling out changes that severely diminish our revenue streams. It is extremely irritating not only for someone who has worked hard to build it up, but also for those of us who are considering using online residual income to replace our real world income.

I think it just points out that if you want to make money as a writer, Google should definitely be a part of it, but not the whole part - and looking to other ways to create income is the wisest course of action. I plan to self publish at least some of my work in the future, and create blogs and followers that do not depend on Google, but rather my own marketing efforts: word of mouth, seeking out other bloggers and so on. SEO has been a great device used by successful online entrepreneurs, but after one try myself years ago, I discovered it completely destroyed my creativity and freedom, and I have never wanted to apply it since.

Whether or not you should jump ship, of course not! But my experience with the HP ad program has been very positive, I am actually making the payout every two to three months while my adsense still putts along at a dollar or two every month. It too has risen with my HP earnings, but it is not as profitable as my HP ad program.

I expect it will continue to rise over time, and these algorithm changes are bumps along the way that we as writers will always have to deal with until we each become famous ;-)

Many thanks for the good sense as usual, Mark.

I have decided to stay put with the HP Ad programme but also finish editing my novel to publish on Kindle. I already write a blog so it looks as if you and I are thinking alike.
      Re:SEO, yes, it sucks

2. Alexander Mark profile image80
      Alexander Markposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am glad you were able to come to a decision - it sounds sound to me :-) I am very curious about Kindle, it seems that they offer a great support system to enable one to epublish, and it is a wonderful tool to market your work.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)