jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (14 posts)

What is your opinion on people who join in Hubpages just to promote something?

1. yougotme profile image89
    yougotmeposted 5 years ago

What is your opinion on people who join in Hubpages just to promote something?

When I Hub Hop, I often encounter overly promotional Hubs. And when you visit the Hubber's profile, you'll only see 1 or 2 posts, and both are used to promote something (i.e. their products, etc). What's your view on this?

2. bn9900 profile image80
    bn9900posted 5 years ago

Nothing really, this should be a place of tolerance, and if the place being promoted is something that may interest people, there isn't anything wrong with that.

3. Hestia DeVoto profile image59
    Hestia DeVotoposted 5 years ago

Since the site admin prohibits purely promotional content, and wants users to flag it, that's what I do.

1. bn9900 profile image80
      bn9900posted 5 years agoin reply to this

but if it related to something else in the hub then its fine

4. FatFreddysCat profile image100
    FatFreddysCatposted 5 years ago

If I find a Hub that's obvious spam, I flag'em and move on. Sometimes I'll leave a snide comment if I'm feeling particularly saucy.

1. mattodom profile image59
      mattodomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I really couldn't put it ANY better than that!

2. DS Duby profile image92
      DS Dubyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts exactly my friend.

5. GmaGoldie profile image79
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

Everyone is promoting something. The item is balance and providing a value. If th promotion is extreme, it will be flagged and the hub removed.

I have seen a very proactive group here and it works because it is a team effort toward quality.

6. CrescentSkies profile image88
    CrescentSkiesposted 5 years ago

To be entirely honest I joined hubpages originally just to promote stuff. Realized fairly quickly that I liked writing and deleted my promotional hub then started writing real, informative hubs!

My opinion is they'll either learn they love writing not promoting or they'll lose interest and won't get much traffic.

1. bn9900 profile image80
      bn9900posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Agreed, in a few of my hubs, since they are history related, I give links for more information...or a place you can go to, such as museums.

7. Vegas Elias profile image29
    Vegas Eliasposted 5 years ago

I feel such people are not really writers but they are salesmen out to sell something. Promoting something is fine as long as the hub has really good information and at least a pinch of altruism in the content.

8. mattodom profile image59
    mattodomposted 5 years ago

It's something people just don't understand that this ISN'T the place for advertising. I also just flag them down, and leave a pretty good word to them to make sure they know what they're doing wrong and that they wont make the mistake again, even I being a new hubber to the community know, that I would never promote anything. Just something we all have to take into accustom.

9. Editorial Nation profile image60
    Editorial Nationposted 5 years ago

I think that most traffic comes from people trying to answer their questions when doing a general search on the web. Since some of the best hubbers on here answer those It would be my guess that promotional ideas are not the best way to go. If your shopping for something your probably going to go to amazon or something like that anyhow.

Adsense is supposed to suggest things they may want to buy from our pages, and to be honest people only seek those ads about 50 percent of the time.

Playing devils advocate:  What about the hubbers promoting  non profit  sites? Do you all think that is wrong? Should it matter if they make money or not? Just curious.

10. rex michaels profile image84
    rex michaelsposted 5 years ago

Everyone is promoting something, if only themselves. That is what HP is all about, however, that being said, blatant advertisement of a tire shop, that only a handful would benefit from may even stretch my tolerance of self-promotion. Many have found, I believe that Hub Pages is easier than doing a blog, and free. HP is typically ranked high on Google searches so many have figured out they can sell, by using HP. I tend to let things slide unless I can see it affects others or me in an adverse way.

working