Do you think being able to choose a best answer will change the Answers section?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (17 posts)
  1. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Do you think being able to choose a best answer will change the Answers section?

So it has now been said that soon we will be able to pick a best answer. Do you think this will have any impact on the answers section?

2. Shawn May Scott profile image59
    Shawn May Scottposted 11 years ago

I do not think it will matter. Some people follow and some people lead and the leaders will read all the answers and make their own conclusions and the followers will read only the best answers and draw conclusions without all the information (similar to the forums that are based on an article or what not, no one reads it but still comments and do not follow what is really happening). So I say most people will draw their own conclusions and it will probably not change it too much.

1. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We have the up/down vote democratic way of rating answers

2. Shawn May Scott profile image59
      Shawn May Scottposted 11 years agoin reply to this

ptosis,

So I take it that my saying people will make their own conclusions is not democractic??? People will always draw their own conclusions whether you or any one else votes me up or down. Get it???

3. zinger5 profile image60
      zinger5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think the answers are based on facts, so if you want to vote know them all.

3. Ddraigcoch profile image73
    Ddraigcochposted 11 years ago

I think this Q&A stuff will lower Hubpages' authority if it is not careful and we will bomb. We are an article platform and that is what we should stay as. Choosing best answers etc just pulls away from what Hubpages is about.

1. J.S.Matthew profile image80
      J.S.Matthewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

HubPages is no longer "just" an Article Platform. Considering that they have added Video and Recipes, I think the Q and A will actually give HP a higher presence in search engines. That's just my opinion of course! We are competing on multiple levels

2. zinger5 profile image60
      zinger5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I also do believe it is all fun too,the voting thing on Hubpages. Give a little take a little.

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 11 years ago

This seems a whole lot like what goes on at Yahoo Answers to me - and although that can be a good way to share info, the whole voting thing is not usually about the genuinely best answer, but about what is closest to what the questioner "wants to hear" or it's a popularity contest etc.  I don't have much confidence that a "best answer" vote is a great way to develop one's authority when it can be so easily biased.  Time will tell I suppose hmm.

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 11 years ago

I am not sure who chooses the best answer. I do know, that it does through the chronological order out the window, so I often click on the latest box so I can see how the discussion progressed.

I think the rating buttons are misused. They should be an agree or disagree button and then the number posted besides the comment. There could be a third button with options for obscenity, personal attacks, and the usual stuff used for flagging hubs. I had one comment hidden and I think it was because the people did not agree with me. I used no foul language, I did not insult anyone. I only stated my opinion. Stating opinions should not be an option for keeping a comment hidden.

1. Shawn May Scott profile image59
      Shawn May Scottposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good answer. The same thing happened to me when I answered a question when I first joined, it was hidden because it was my opinion and it was not agreeded upon by the questions author. I agree with you that rating buttons are misused and biased.

2. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Shawn May, It may not even have been the author who disagreed. I have asked many questions that I haven't even voted on and an answer ends up hidden. People just misuse the voting.

6. J.S.Matthew profile image80
    J.S.Matthewposted 11 years ago

If it changes anything, I am not sure. I do think it is a good thing that the person who asks the question in the first place can highlight the best answer; that means that the answer has been answered with detail and it may help the reader navigate to the best answer if they have the same question. I personally think it is an improvement.

JSMatthew~

7. Mazzy Bolero profile image69
    Mazzy Boleroposted 11 years ago

It will change it for the worse. Many people will read only the "best answer" and for an opinion question, that defeats the object - the whole point of a debate is to hear different opinions and consider them.

And who will choose the best answer? The questioner or the readers? The questioner may have trouble choosing one if many answers are of similar merit. And readers will vote for the answer they themselves agree with rather than the best considered. They will vote using their own criteria. To get any fair vote, you would have to set criteria for them to use so that there was at least some consistency. 

The questions set here are not often those which would be found in searches, they are viewed mainly by Hubbers, so I can't see the point of choosing one answer.  Also, of course, no one will add an answer once the 'best answer' has been selected. 

We enter answers to join in a discussion too, to participate and communicate, not to be judged. We're not getting paid for it - there's no prize - so why should there be a contest?

8. WebsiteConfetti profile image59
    WebsiteConfettiposted 11 years ago

I don't know if it will make the answers section better, but I think it needed to be done to distinguish the answers section from the forum section.  When if you think about it without awarding best answers, the answers section (with comments) was basically another forum

9. profile image0
    Ari Lamsteinposted 11 years ago

I hope so!

Hubbers who leave great answers will now have the ability to be recognized for doing so.  I hope that this this leads to more Hubbers leaving the best possible answer.

I also hope that the "best answer" feature will help to differentiate the Answers section from the Forums.

1. J.S.Matthew profile image80
      J.S.Matthewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great point Ari about differentiating Answers from Forums; less flagging and less removal of questions means a better Q/A pool. I had a Hubber select my answer to one of their questions as the best and it made me feel good! Change is progress...JS~

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)