jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you use the "Vote Up/Down" feature? How?

1. Jeff Berndt profile image85
    Jeff Berndtposted 5 years ago

Do you use the "Vote Up/Down" feature? How?

Someone commented that the vote-down feature had been "misused." I'm curious if there's a consensus on the proper use of the vote-down feature. Do you vote down hubs, answers, etc because they're incorrect? Because you disagree with the opinions expressed? Because of bad grammar/spelling/punctuation? Because the hub is boring or just plain 'bad?'
    (I'm talking about voting down only, not flagging for possible violations.)

2. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years ago

I often use the vote up option, rarely the vote down. In the few cases where I have used the vote down, it was because  the hub was very poor quality, for instance too short, didn't make sense, poorly written, and bad spelling/grammar. I would not vote a hub down because I don't agree with the subject matter, I think that's what most people mean if they say the down vote is misused.

1. tmbridgeland profile image83
      tmbridgelandposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Pretty much my thoughts. I no longer comment in political questions since my views are so different that they get voted out of existence. Lack of tolerance. I vote up, or ignore. If a whole Hub is badly written I just flag it for moderators, let them

3. thranax profile image53
    thranaxposted 5 years ago

How?

I click on Up if im happy and Down if the article made me want to comment Seppuku.

~thranax~

4. Teresa Schultz profile image78
    Teresa Schultzposted 5 years ago

I don't like the vote down button at all, and never use it. If I like a hub or answer, mostly because I think the hub or answer is useful to others, or even if it's useful just for me, I vote it up. If I don't like something, I just leave the voting button alone - there seems to be quite enough people already that have "trigger-happy" fingers for clicking a vote down button when it seems the hub or answer didn't deserve to be voted down.

Although very rarely, sometimes I'll find something that is clearly wrong with a hub, like pure promotion of the author or what the author does for a living (and the author has only one hub) or the hub has many seriously bad errors in it, or  something like the author declares their age in a hub and is too young to be on HubPages, then I'll flag the hub for moderators, not vote it down.

Closed to reply

working