What do you want?

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (48 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Every so often I have these dreams, you know, the kind that inspire deep thought.

So I was flipping through a book (in my dream). In this book it asked the question, "What do you want?"  The book was filled with tons of comments of people listing all the wonderful things they want.

Some people want peace, others want children, cars, money, happiness, a family, freedom, justice, security, safety, love...

This book goes on and on it seems and then finally I am done. I pick up my pen to write down what I want.  I think for a while about it because it feels real important that I write down what I really, truly want. Like the book magically request the truth from me.

I write, I want "to know what I want." 

Do you know what you want?

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow, that's an interesting dream.

deep.

what do i want?

sounds simple, but - to be listened to. REALLY listened to, and heard, by those who matter to me. our individual roles and responsibilities cloud who we really are, at the core, and i want those i love to know and appreciate me, not roles i play or things i do, but all that i AM.

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

thats not simple at all. I hope you get it.

2. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Okay Cosette.  Let's say that today the FSM is giving out wants like candy and today you your want to be: REALLY listened to, and heard, by those who matter to me. our individual roles and responsibilities cloud who we really are, at the core, and i want those i love to know and appreciate me, not roles i play or things i do, but all that i AM. has been given to you.

So, now I am giving you what you want.  So what are you going to tell me?

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I want to be happy with my children and to find a man who will love me and accept me for who I am with just enough money to get us by!

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sandra, that is a deep one. while reading through the comments, I think, yea, I want that too, and then this thought came to me when I read the one about wanting to be listened to. the question then becomes, why do I want what I want?

maybe it's as daniel says, like a mirror. to have others listen to you, one must be a very good listener themselves. to really listen.

as one person said, even when we receive what we 'want', then it becomes something else. I think we project too much into the future instead of our 'nows'.

1. profile image0
        Revive@OwnRiskposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think this is very insightful, rebekah. Too often we live in the past or project into the future (the "if only" syndrome), when, in fact, all we have is right now. So maybe it's about what "right now" do you want?

For me, right now, I want to not be haunted by past failures, stop wondering if my future will also be a failure, and start realizing that right now is actually incredible. It's the only place we can make things better now, and make changes to determine a better, more fulfilling future.

Right now, I want to change my fretting to something of peace and fulfillment because I've made it this far.

Right now is enough. Now I have to really work like hell to keep that feeling. LOL
        smile

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Like U2 says...I still havent found what Im looking for...

3. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

Everytime I think I know what I want, I change my mind...

4. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

So it is not just me. smile

1. profile image0
      bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, I'm on that list as too.  So there is at least two of us..

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, it is not just you.

Billions of people have that same problem.

Some people know how to deal with the thought, because it's deeply considered to be the most important question a self-interested person can ask oneself.

What do I want? Is to truly understand life and what it means.

It comes down to just simple things- love, wealth, happiness.

These are the only real requirements for life to have absolute meaning.

How you break each down and obtain each one is for you to decide? This is the grueling task you set before yourself.

Stop thinking about EVERYTHING you want. Most is irrelevant material objects, which do nothing but give you a false security about your knowledge and understanding about your own life.

LOVE- Love yourself, every aspect. Love is honesty in it's purest form. The need to be loved will come no matter what, it is part of Life's cycle.

Wealth- Wealth is a requirement only because 'money' is a requirement. Wealth allows you get any of the material things or objects you want, need or desire.

Happiness- True Happiness is when you love yourself, you have someone to love you, you are honest with yourself and others, you value your life and others.

I hope I helped.

1. profile image0

Yet it really isn't that simple.  Not every one wants those things.
        They are not requirements for life and without or without them, you could find meaning.

Consider then the task is less self centered then you made it out to be.  I want to know what you want. wink

Never was about what I want.  Introspect is a interesting thing.  I answered what I wanted.  I want to know what you want. 

So ask yourself what you gave me?  Did you give me what you want or what I want?
        So you believe that love makes the world go'round? What then do you make of someone who doesn't want love?

Again, who says that I want wealth?  Who says it is a requirement?  You?

So this is what you want? What value do you find in me?

5. profile image0

nooo. even people who say they know what they want, its just cuz they dont have it. soon as they get it, they are like..now what?
    I mean, not always. But to a large degree that happens.

1. profile image0

Yeah, I can understand that.

So you think that the "need" to "need" is just part of us? Sort of to say, if we had everything then what would we live for?

1. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah, I think a little bit. theres always something.
        like right now, I wnat it to be hot outside, more money to pay bills, and mayeb a cup of coffe. If I got those things, I would think of something else to want...
        I dont mean that I am unhappy with what I have, but I am pretty sure we all have ..the next thing to attain..

2. profile image0
      R.G. San Ramonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe we want "more". We know what we want. We answer yes/no if we want this or that, so we basically know what we want. But, as justine has pointed out, we usually are not satisfied getting what we want...so just to end the wanting thing...perhaps we're wanting "more" than what we want.

6. ediggity profile image61
    ediggityposted 14 years ago

It doesn't matter what I want, because the Stones said it best:

No, you can't always get what you want
    You can't always get what you want
    You can't always get what you want
    And if you try sometime you find
    You get what you need

7. Brian Leighton profile image56
    Brian Leightonposted 14 years ago

Utimately, I want to know that when I am old and near the end that I can look back on my life with few regrets and many happy memories.

8. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Your dream is like a mirror image, Sandra. The question becomes the answer, and so the answer begs the question. It probably indicates something about you being enough for yourself and can only be resolved in your core self. (A little weird, but if you start *feeling* your way through it, it should start to make sense.)

I've always wanted the same things:
    • To love and be loved by someone who is mature enough to know what that means and how to work at it.

• A chance to move outside the professional box I'm in and get this new music I'm writing out into the world.

For me, both of these would be immensely fulfilling. I work on both every day, by trying to become the answer to my own problems, and becoming my best self. Sounds very grandiose and philosophical. Probably is. But I don't know how else to approach it. I have to get outside my box and think and see things a little differently every day. It's tough to do when I also want some kind of security.

1. profile image0

I was thinking about this in the shower.

I thought to myself, okay.  Let me just answer myself for today.  I thought, "what do I want today." 

Still I drew a blank.  I thought about this bible verse that goes something like, "we eat until we are full yet we are never satisfied." 

So I thought okay today, nothing material is really going to satisfy me because what I want is something that can only be given in introspect. 

Maybe the real question never was, why am I here or why are we here...

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Sandra,

I was considering your statement and think I can help.

You said, "You tried to figure out what you wanted for that day?" Yet, you drew a blank.

Do you know WHY you drew a blank? If you don't know, I'll explain.

As for the statement you took for the bible- "we eat until we are full yet we are never satisfied"- isn't a reference to eating food? It is a reference meant for the hunger of knowledge conscious humans have and the fact that it is never enough, we always want more.

It is the nature of man and/or woman to increase knowledge and understanding above all else. The more knowledge we, as a society, obtain and providing we understand it's true meaning, then we unlock humankind's true potential.

I hope I helped.

1. profile image0

I already knew this.  So again I am asking you, what do you want?  smile

9. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

cantelope please big_smile

10. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

What I want is to be able to totally support myself no matter if my marriage lasts or breaks down someday, if I have kids or not, if I fall ill or spend the rest of my life healthy. A good passive income would tick those boxes so that I can always afford what I need in life.

11. Wonder_Woman profile image58
    Wonder_Womanposted 14 years ago

what i really want is to one day be my own boss

1. profile image0

I want the same thing.  But first, I want to know how to make that happen though.

1. Wonder_Woman profile image58
        Wonder_Womanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have a couple ideas, i either want to open my own shoe store with my own designs, open a family pet store, or even open up a dinner since i love love love to cook..?

1. profile image0

Well let me know when you open up.  I'm right down the road, so I'll be there

12. profile image0

Ok, I decided. I want bloody prime rib, fresh tossed salad, garlic bread and baked potaote. I want a glass of whiskey and a good friend's comapny to share it with.
    I want peace and security. To be loved and accepted as I am. I want to be NOT afraid. I want to see my children grow up strong and healthy, in body and mind. I want to see them fullfill thier dreams.

13. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

To know what you want and move towards that I think is the main purpose of our lives.
    Floating around with no clear destination.. Don't know, but it just means I won't achieve anything. To have a goal is motivating, it challenges you, makes you step out of your safety zone and makes you develop.

To know what you want I think is essential. of course, you must have some "rest breaks" after intensive effort or when you redefine your goals and rethink your wishes (otherwise you'll go crazy). Stopping and looking around might be a very difficult time in your life, but as soon as you see the destination, line becomes straight again and you move on.

14. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

I want a job.

15. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

oh, i know for sure:
    - space to write and 'be'
    - closeness with nature
    - music
    - good sex
    - happiness for every person in this world...and the ability to add to it! smile

16. shayari profile image60
    shayariposted 14 years ago

I want
    - financial freedom
    - happy family life
    - ability to help at least 100 people every year and change their lives for good.
    - friends to party

17. Hope Wilbanks profile image66
    Hope Wilbanksposted 14 years ago

I feel like I've struggled to grasp the concept of what my purpose in life is nearly my whole life. I'd rather know what my purpose is, than to decide what I want...because as we've already seen in discussion here, our wants are fleeting and can change in an instant. smile

1. profile image0

You have insightful introspect.  It's why I asked, maybe it never was about why we are here...

18. Cheeky Chick profile image61
    Cheeky Chickposted 14 years ago

That is a great question! 

Here's what I want, maybe it'll help you discover what you want.

I want to become a successful writer!  I want to earn a good living at it and get the chance to interview interesting people.

I want to find fulfillment.  I want a purpose in life.  I want to know I make a difference.  I want to do the work I enjoy doing.

I think it takes time and lots of thought to figure out what you want out of life.  Spend a little time each day thinking about it and it will become clear.  Then, you can start moving in the direction of what you want.

Best of luck!

XOXO

Cheeky

19. jobister profile image60
    jobisterposted 14 years ago

I want a worry free life and to be able to do whatever I want whenever I want.

20. ediggity profile image61

I know what I want now.

Sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their heads.

1. profile image0

Sounds cool.  When you get that can you share! smile

21. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Liquid hot magma.....

1. profile image0

Come to Hawaii. big_smile

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would that I could lol

22. Choke Frantic profile image69
    Choke Franticposted 14 years ago

I want to make art...

23. ediggity profile image61

Throw me a frickin bone here people.

1. profile image0
      Revive@OwnRiskposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do you need from us?

The Stones song is actually very good and insightful. Sometimes we don't get what we *want* but do get what we need. But, there are other times we do get what we want, also. I don't think it's all one way or the other, really.

1. ediggity profile image61
        ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this
  24. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Right now? I just want to go home! All kidding aside you have to qualify your want(s) because there is a time function involved and those wants can change in an instant.
    Generally speaking though, I already have everything I want, and everything I need, anything more would be excessive, not that I'd mind that!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)