jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Can you provide the opening line for a book? Capture the audience.

1. starstream profile image76
    starstreamposted 5 years ago

Can you provide the opening line for a book?
    Capture the audience.

2. Curiad profile image78
    Curiadposted 5 years ago

How about "Words from within." I think this would create a curiosity in the mind of the reader.

3. profile image0
    Garifaliaposted 5 years ago

"Hues of deep orange, amber and gold gradually painted the sky as the sun made its way back to its throne. "

starstreamposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Very colorful opening lines!

4. Cardisa profile image92
    Cardisaposted 5 years ago

"She was picking up the pieces and trying to glue them back together when he walk in............." - romance

It all depends on what the book.

"The wind rustled the trees as he made his way through the darkness, trying to find the spot where......................" - adventure

5. JohnGreasyGamer profile image83
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 5 years ago

Clive Barker did an amazing job by breaking the fourth wall with "BURN THIS BOOK!", from the demon Jakabok in "Mister B. Gone". It's an amazing and comical read, and it had me throughout. Even when Barker threatened the reader I was literally looking over my shoulder. I've a review on it here:

http://johngreasygamer.hubpages.com/hub … e-A-Review

6. profile image0
    KDuBarry03posted 5 years ago

"Johnny wished mommy loved him; she wouldn't admit it even when Johnny shot her in the arm." -suspense/thriller/horror

"Becoming a memory is something to be thankful for, even if the memory of you makes me cry." -Romance/Drama/Fantasy.

to be quite honest, to make a first opening line of a book work, you need to have a basic story premise to work with so the opening line can be a great starter with great back up.

If you take a look at my suspense/thriller opening line, you could write a story based off that one line, where Johnny only wants love from his mom but only shows her pain and doesn't know it (possible psychological disorder?)

If you truly want to write different opening lines for a book, I suggest for everyone to write "hint fictions", in which is where you write a one sentence line and start getting your mind thinking creatively. Very simple stuff smile

Thanks for offering these great ideas for our writers.

7. xanzacow profile image71
    xanzacowposted 5 years ago

Just as it was in the beginning, so it is at the end. It is the in between that will amaze and amuse the psyche. It all unfolded like this....

Nice setting to cause the reader to want to read more about your story.

working