jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Can our choice of topics reveal the inner self and personal side to our lives?

1. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

Can our choice of topics reveal the inner self and personal side to our lives?

Did you realize that what you write about and dwell upon, is a reflection of your inner most thoughts and who you are?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6954464_f260.jpg

2. ThoughtSandwiches profile image80
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 5 years ago

uh-oh...I'm not entirely sure what that says about me,,,

3. Thundermama profile image90
    Thundermamaposted 5 years ago

This makes perfect sense to me and yet when i see what I have written about it makes me kind of sad that I am not a more interesting person with a wider range of interests. you're right though, we are or at least become what we write and think about.

4. whonunuwho profile image79
    whonunuwhoposted 5 years ago

This may not always apply to us, yet in reflection, may help us each in dealing with our lives.

5. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

Absolutely.  I believe many writers use their work to express their inner selves.  I know for me personally, writing started off as a personal journey and I used it for healing with journals etc.  Many of the writers I know are actually quite introverted in person - myself included, but feel writing is a way that helps them to express their ideas without feeling socially awkward.  For me, I write much better than I speak and for that reason I use writing to express myself and my innermost thoughts and ideas.

1. whonunuwho profile image79
      whonunuwhoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have the same feelings as you,Christin about what we write and why. It is truly a great way of self expression and we don't have to confront our readers in person, and only in our sharing. It is good that we can write out our feelings, often times.

6. Admiral Murrah profile image73
    Admiral Murrahposted 5 years ago

Your question reminds me of a story that I have found illustrative of this matter. There was once a camp meeting with many pastors taking turns preaching. A young pastor took his turn at the pulpit. He preached on the wickedness of sin, with all the pulpit pounding, and voice raising and emotional display he could muster. On finishing he was amazed that the crowd was not moved to answer the invitation. He was followed by an old pastor who talked about what heaven will be like. His words brought the people to the invitation in droves. After he finished, and left the podium, he proceeded taking a plug of tobacco from a pouch in his coat. The young preacher approached him and asked, "What is your secret?" The old preacher, put in the plug of tobacco, waited a moment and then responded, "I reckon that a man preaches about what is in his heart!"

That being said, our choice of content and our most powerful content often reveal what is in our heart.

7. Beata Stasak profile image84
    Beata Stasakposted 5 years ago

I believe it is what you see, how you perceive the world around you...our perception of us and the world around us is hidden in our writings...

working