jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

What do you do when you find a factually inaccurate hub?

1. Docmo profile image91
    Docmoposted 5 years ago

What do you do when you find a factually inaccurate hub?

As with any collection of online resources the hubpages may contain a mixture of accurate and inaccurate facts- when you come across a hub that makes factual errors how do you react and respond?

2. OldRoses profile image95
    OldRosesposted 5 years ago

I always respond with a polite "correction" phrased like "it is generally believed..." or "it has been my experience...".  I never say that the writer is wrong.  I prefer to think that the author unintentionally misstated the facts.  I think that it's important that we all support and encourage each other.  We all learn through making mistakes so we should make errors learning experiences.

3. fpherj48 profile image77
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

This has, in fact, occurred a few times.  If I felt it was seriously inaccurate and might pose any sort of danger or negative outcome....I would get a message to the author via the contact method on our profile sites. I would not respond in their comment section, visible to all.  I would make a point of being respectful and simply point out the inaccuracies to the writer and explain the reason.

4. MartieCoetser profile image89
    MartieCoetserposted 5 years ago

I will send a private message to the author. If he/she fails to correct the factual errors, or at least acknowledge the facts I've given them in some way or the other in order for readers to take note of different opinions, I would simply report the hub as false and misleading. As writers we do have a responsibility towards readers all over the globe; we are not suppose to allow incorrect information to settle in the minds of innocent readers eager to obtain knowledge.

5. theclevercat profile image94
    theclevercatposted 5 years ago

Great question!  This is exactly why I like to back up my sources with a section stating where I did my research. Luckily I haven't run into "facts" that really aren't, but if I do, I expect I would ask for their source.

6. Mazzy Bolero profile image79
    Mazzy Boleroposted 5 years ago

It depends what it is. If it doesn't really matter, I wouldn't do anything - we all make errors at times. If it's a fairly serious error that could embarrass the writer, I might contact them privately. However, if they are inventing "facts" to support a political argument, I might comment openly, because that just gets my goat!

7. kschang profile image90
    kschangposted 5 years ago

Depends on the hubber and hub content.

I wrote quite a few scam-busting hubs, which put me up against quite a few people who promote suspicious schemes, and wrote hubs about them. They usually deal with "income opportunities"

Those people do NOT respond well to criticism. The only thing you can do to those people is flag them.

For people who may actually be interested in amending their hub, simply provide citation to the facts as you found them, and see how they react. If they change their hub and thank you, great!

If they just delete your comment / deny your comment (you can see that in your activity log) then you may want to put up a link in RBUTR.com, which is like global webpage comment system.

working