jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do you reference facts that you use in your Hubs? Why and how?

1. bankscottage profile image95
    bankscottageposted 5 years ago

Do you reference facts that you use in your Hubs? Why and how?

We site sources for pictures we use, shouldn't we reference facts?  What is the correct way to reference facts used in your Hubs?

2. hockey8mn profile image76
    hockey8mnposted 5 years ago

Citing sources depends on the type of article you are writing.  For example, writing a paper or article on the social sciences, the most accepted form of citation is APA.  Where as writing a paper or article on the humanities or liberal arts, the most accepted form of citation is MLA.  There are many types of citation methods and if you google it, you will be given hundreds of different ways.  As for citing my sources on hub pages, I don't for the most part, but should.  Credit should be given where credit is due.

3. MarleneB profile image98
    MarleneBposted 5 years ago

Yes. I reference facts that I use in my hubs when I write about a subject in which I am not a bona fide expert. For instance, I have over 23 years of experience in the real estate industry, so when I write about real estate, I don't necesarily reference an outside source, because I have the knowledge from my own personal experience. In other words, I am the "expert". To quote another source would be redundant. The same is true when I write about religious topics because I am an ordained minister and certified pastoral counselor and so, I consider myself a reliable source for the topic I am writing. On the other hand, if I write on a topic such as "Where Does Coffee Come From", then I will quote a source from where I obtained the information.

4. fpherj48 profile image75
    fpherj48posted 5 years ago

If I write a hub that calls for specific, verifiable FACTS, I will mention within the body of my text, who, what and where I gathered my facts from....as in a book, author, article, documentary......you get the picture.  It can get time-consuming to research for informational/educational hubs, but for quality sake, it's necessary.
    It's not quite like being a parent where we can simply tell the darlings......"I'LL TELL YOU WHY.......BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!!  YOU DON'T NEED TO KNOW ANYTHING ELSE!!"
    You can use that in a hub on parenting skills if you want...............Effer

5. randomcreative profile image94
    randomcreativeposted 5 years ago

Typically I follow the same guidelines as Marlene. There are a number of subjects that I write about frequently that don't require a lot of research for me. Thus I won't cite references for these articles. However, if I'm writing about something out of my norm that does require significant research, I'll put in sources. You can check out my tailgating article to see a good example of how I cite my references.

6. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

If I am writing a hub on something that I have to research for, I will cite the source and the location of the resource. It is a good practice and gives the reader another place to check for more info if they want to look into the subject more. If I quote anything, I also cite the source. I learned to do that while in college and still do it the same way.

working