jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)

Picture Hubs?

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Picture Hubs?

I have done a couple hubs that were mostly pictures and very few words. My question is am I missing any rules about doing them. I have a series (something I did one of that google is loving) of them I want to do that will be 20 or so hubs with at least 10 pictures each and about a total of 150 words total in each hub. Would this be violating any HP rules?

2. roxanne459 profile image89
    roxanne459posted 5 years ago

Good Morning, I don't think there are any hard lined rules to creating a Hub. That being said, it's been my understanding that in order to maintain a featured Hub, it needs a minimum of 500 words. That is one of the guidelines they enforce while in the Apprentice Program. If Google is giving you a lot of views though, it's hard to argue with success! smile

1. Randy M. profile image86
      Randy M.posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is that really true that you need to have 500 words to remain featured on Hubpages?  I thought that was only a requirement with people in the apprenticeship program.  I think that it is more correct that they must have traffic to be featured.

2. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks roxanne!

3. Randy M. profile image86
    Randy M.posted 5 years ago

Processes to consider when making a picture article, including doing your SEO when you are composing it and organization tips. Also included are ideas on some of the types of articles that are perfect for using photos. read more

4. Insane Mundane profile image61
    Insane Mundaneposted 5 years ago

I know that on other websites of mine, I've had some of the best results with image searches.  Heck, I've even sold Amazon products by way of image searches on some of my blogs, for example.  Anyway, it doesn't matter if the web surfers find your site or page via web search, video search, image search or whatever, just so they find it.  However, if you are doing a page that consists of mostly images, it is a good idea to have at least 250 words or more, although 150 words is barely getting by - but whatever works!  A typical informative page with very few images, I like to type around 600 to 1,000 words per post albeit there is no set rule in my opinion, only the results that prove what works and what doesn't; cheers!

1. peeples profile image94
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Normally on informative hubs I stick to 600- 1000. However I did one picture hub with only 150 words and it now gets more traffic  from google in one day than all my other hubs combined. So wanting to expand the idea and see if it works. Thanks

2. Insane Mundane profile image61
      Insane Mundaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh, it is definitely a good idea.  Like I said, I've had some of my best results on other websites with image searches; good luck!

3. BlossomSB profile image93
      BlossomSBposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I like the idea of 500 words. More than 1,000 and I turn off and skim. I love HubPages but there is a life out there as well. Peeples comment is interesting and helpful, too.

4. Insane Mundane profile image61
      Insane Mundaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If the subject isn't interesting to the reader, it doesn't matter if it is 5 words.  I never understood why people talk as if reading is a job...  Blah!

5. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

i would suggest writing at least 250-500words per hub for the pictures. I don't think HP would block or unpublish your hub but viewers prefer to read more words about the pictures, description or your opinion.

6. theodoresumrall profile image60
    theodoresumrallposted 5 years ago

I have seen featured hubs with almost no content but with lots of images.

7. JanMaklak profile image76
    JanMaklakposted 5 years ago

This is a difficult one to answer. I did a few minutes od research on the net and the general view of SEO "experts" deems to be around the 300 mark but Google will index anything that gives value to the reader.  Google has never published a minimum word count and therefore it is a guessing game as to the nest length of an article.  Certainly keyword density is harder to achieve with less words.

When you look through the web you find many high ranking articles that start something like "10 beautiful examples of ..." and have little text to go with them.

Why not go online and research other articles that could be similar to yours on Google's first page and see why they rank well. 

One last thing... Each photograph you post should be keyword dense both in the metadata and in the description that Hub pages allows you to write.  You can keyword photographs though Photoshop,Lightroom 4 or Photoshop Elements.  If you don't have these programs I wouldn't rush out an get them because or the money and the time to learn them.

8. cuttler profile image61
    cuttlerposted 5 years ago

That sounds interesting. I bet if the hub is high quality, then it doesn't matter what form it is in...picture, video, text or a combination of both. Personally I would prefer a hub with more media than words. So continue with what you are doing as long as yo maintain the quality

9. beverleejb profile image60
    beverleejbposted 5 years ago

Its not about anyone else.
    We as writers have to make those choices. To or not to place pictures.
    I myself would place a  picture or two if I had any good ones  who showed others about what the subject was about.

10. lovish09 profile image61
    lovish09posted 5 years ago

even i was interested if something like this works well but what I have read and seen is that around 500-600 words are needed to make our hubs working.