jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

How can the forums be a less stressful experience?

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 5 years ago

How can the forums be a less stressful experience?

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I don't know. There seems to be a mentality of unkindness and aggressiveness when it comes to any kind of arena where we can remain faceless, and unaccountable.

I like to read Yahoo! news and often check the comment section and the nastiness that is posted over a simple news or feature piece is unreal.  Same thing if you follow comments anywhere, it seems to invite people to be unkind and nasty.

I find the only way for me to handle it is to stay out of the forums.  My blood pressure just goes sky high when I get involved in that kind of communication so I stay away.

1. ChristinS profile image95
      ChristinSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree on Yahoo - it's a special kind of ignorance on a lot of the posts there.  You wonder if it's really possible for people to be that unkind and angry all the time.

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 5 years ago

Remove all the human writers from the forums. Problem solved.

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image98
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

I think the forums should be dropped completely from HP.  They tend to create hard feelings between writers and take away from the "niceness" of the other parts of the site.

1. Joan King profile image71
      Joan Kingposted 5 years agoin reply to this

One of the other  sites I write for did just that.  The forums got so out of hand that they removed it completely.

5. Kathleen Cochran profile image81
    Kathleen Cochranposted 5 years ago

When people have the freedom to be annonymous, they feel freed from common courtesy.  The same thing happens on the phone and when driving.  Those are the very time we find out who we really are.

6. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 5 years ago

I don't usually answer after  a Best answer is already  chosen so fast but I wanted to say I have never found the forums to be stressful on here but maybe it's because I avoid some of the topics that seem argumentative!

7. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 5 years ago

If you really want to participate in forums perhaps stay away from "hot button issues" and stick to topics that invite more friendly conversation.  I've tried participating in the past in certain forums - not just here, but I just didn't like the "schoolyard bully" vibe about some topics I'm truly interested in.  It seems people can't engage in civil discourse about politics or religion especially so I steer clear of those topics now smile