Whats up with my 70% drop in pageviews over the last few weeks? Mostly hubbers

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)
  1. cam8510 profile image93
    cam8510posted 11 years ago

Whats up with my 70% drop in pageviews over the last few weeks?  Mostly hubbers are missing.

Over the last couple of weeks I have experienced a 70% drop in pageviews.  Most of the loss was from fellow hubbers not viewing...am I not showering enough?  Bad breath?  Offensive behavior?  haha.  I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen this as well.

2. Becky Katz profile image82
    Becky Katzposted 11 years ago

My views have dropped considerably also. I am now making half the amount that I did a year ago. It has discouraged me considerably with this site. I love the people and the community feel of it, but would like to make a little something also.I think it has to do with the un-featured. People are leaving because of it, especially creative writers.

1. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A lot of Hubbers have left HubPages over the past year.  I mean A LOT, close to 100K or over 40% of their prior peak of Hubbers.  The unFeatured change has a lot to do with it, as do other onerous changes, such as no more RSS.  Time to reconsider HP?

2. cam8510 profile image93
      cam8510posted 11 years agoin reply to this

All of my hubs are featured.  I've been consistent at commenting on hubs and interacting on forums and questions.  My non HP traffic may be down a little.  I just don't get it.  I'm not concerned about money because fiction doesn't seem to earn much.

3. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 11 years ago

I haven't seen it, but it does not surpise me.  The time it takes to constantly update Hubs to keep them in good graces with HubPages could be better spent writing new Hubs, reading other Hubber's Hubs, and generally networking on HubPages.

1. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Cam, I read your Hub "Three Ways to Save Money on Gas/Gasoline" .  Good tips.  Categorizing Hubs to increase viewers, see instructions in:  http://rocknj.hubpages.com/hub/Using-a- … Accessible

2. cam8510 profile image93

All of my hubs are grouped and cross linked.  I removed about twenty-five hubs that weren't doing well and were on a topic I wanted to leave off HP.  Some of the reduction in traffic is due to that choice.  I do have a few orphan hubs.

4. jeffduff profile image74
    jeffduffposted 11 years ago

According to Alexa.com (on January 31st), one of the internets 'scorekeepers' for visitor traffic to thousands of websites, the Hubpages.com traffic has seen the following changes in the percent of visitors:  Minus 1.02% for the last 7 days, Plus 1.4% for the last month, and, Minus 5.37% for the last 3 months.

By my estimation, this does not measure your fellow Hubbers jumping onto your hubs through internal hub-hopping, but rather the count of outside visitors to your hubs.

A 5.37% drop in Hubpage visitors from three months ago is a small but statistically significant amount of change.  But, I don't know if that explains your precipitous drop, cam8510 ?!

I feel like I dropped off the planet.  I have never had a huge traffic flow, but I dropped from a range of 100-200 per day to 30-50, and those are total traffic figures.

5. internpete profile image87
    internpeteposted 11 years ago

I usually get 90% or more of my traffic from Google, so I haven't noticed much of a change besides the changes Google has made over the last year. But as others have mentioned, there just aren't as many hubbers hanging around. I think it is a bit of a transition period for hubpages, and hopefully they will attract new people, and even bring old hubbers back.

6. Goody5 profile image59
    Goody5posted 11 years ago

There are a lot of hubbers that have been leaving the hub pages since last year Cam. This may be one of the reasons for the decreases that you've been experiencing. I've been keeping track of the stats and they aren't exactly favorable for the hub pages right now - http://goody5.hubpages.com/hub/Google-vs-the-Hub-Pages

I finally read your hub last night on the subject of the losses HP is experiencing.  It is disturbing.  You are right too, that some of my decline may be that some I am following and who follow me, simply are gone.

7. AlexK2009 profile image85
    AlexK2009posted 11 years ago

I have had a continuous loss of traffic since October despite following all the "good advice" Hub Pages supply.  I am definitely reconsidering Hub Pages since it is beginning to feel like a sinking ship and I feel I should grow a tail, squeak and jump ship.

8. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years ago

I've had ups and downs in this area, but since the majority of my views come from Google...as they should...I don't pay much attention to hubber numbers. 

Maybe you need to do some title tweaking and getting rid of hubs that have not been producing.

I'm at this all the time and it keeps my numbers up...however CPMs have been awful since the holidays, so even with more readers, I'm making less money!

I dropped about twenty-five of my poorest performing hubs.  Everything is grouped and cross linked.  My main "problem" is that fiction starts off with lots of pageviews but tapers off.  I've done a lot of hub maintenance, but not enough I guess.

9. Ericdierker profile image46
    Ericdierkerposted 11 years ago

CAM I read this when you first posted. for me there was good news and bad news. The good was that you asked the question. The bad was you answered is that for me you answered it immediately; "am I not showering enough? Bad breath? Offensive behavior?". Do you know my wife or have you been reading my mail?

I do believe there is a marketing shift and membership issues and revenue enhancements that are rolling down hill like a snowball headed for hell.
    Mark my words HP is positioned for a takeover of the not so nice kind.

10. Emanate Presence profile image68
    Emanate Presenceposted 11 years ago

Chris, every time I see you have answered one of my questions or made a comment, I feel camaraderie with you. I browse the hubs of others when attracted and like to comment with sincerity. Lately I have been super-involved with making video hubs, something new for me, and that lowers my time for readership of other hubs.

Generally I write better hubs than Answers or hub comments. I haven't visited your fiction sites because I am not drawn to fiction writing. I would drop by and do some thumbs up and so on just because I like you as a person, but I think that is not what you want.

That said, you have some thoughtful responses here from others. I have noticed also a steep drop in hubber views overall in the Questions department. Most of my questions though are not targeted to the mainstream.

I asked about the drop in hubber participation in Questions also, and people said they have busy lives, they do things besides hubbing, they only get onto Hubpages once every two weeks or so.

Most of my hub views come from my Weebly web site. Also, the web site gets a nice number of hits coming from Hubpages. Like you, I am not concerned about the money. Money is useful but not the most important thing. In fact, though we had fun seeing the pennies add up, I turned advertising off on all 41 hubs so they will have a cleaner and quieter appearance for the readers. The kicker was when I had a negative experience with a software company which had deceitful behavior and that day saw their ad on my hub. I felt it would not be acting with integrity to permit such advertising when there is a choice to turn off at least my portion. Not to say I won't turn it back on sometime, but so far it feels right.

The value of Hubpages to me is when one or two people are genuinely touched by what I am creating. I am prepared in the event HP dissolves as some have prophesied. The people I feel most connected with won't dissolve. And, as we know, everything changes.

Gary, I've always appreciated our camaraderie here.  The similarities in background/viewpoint make me appreciate what we are able to experience here as hubbers.  No worries about not reading my fiction and thanks for the thumbs up when you do visit.

11. MarieAlana1 profile image69
    MarieAlana1posted 11 years ago

I've given you some pageviews recently. I have seen my pageviews go up since I started the challenge. One time I logged in and saw that I had more pageviews than the next time I logged in. So, I was confused about that one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)