jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Do the new Hub Pages "ranking" inspire unnecessary imaging?

1. ThompsonPen profile image79
    ThompsonPenposted 4 years ago

Do the new Hub Pages "ranking" inspire unnecessary imaging?

I find a lot of my hubs have been marked as "Not Featured" purely because they don't have enough images. Surely a ranking should be based on the content, not whether or not the Hub is of picture book quality

2. WryLilt profile image91
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

Internet searchers have notoriously low attention spans. If you present them with a huge block of text, they're going to get bored and click the back button. Adding images raises the quality and keeps them interested, plus is another way to let Google know about your keywords (and you can add a Made For Pinterest image for good measure.)

1. ChristinS profile image96
      ChristinSposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Exactly this - especially with Pinterest.  I get a lot of traffic to hubs from there because I create pin friendly graphics for all my hubs.

3. agvulpes profile image88
    agvulpesposted 4 years ago

In my 'opinion' images are a part of the 'content' of our hubs!  The way that Hubpages have set up their rules it  would appear that is how they want it done!
    So as long as Hubpages keep paying me to do it their way, that is the way I will do it!
    I also agree with WryLilt's comment!

4. tillsontitan profile image89
    tillsontitanposted 4 years ago

I think your question is interesting.  Pictures are wonderful in anything we read, but, if they aren't pertinent or necessary one would think they shouldn't be there.  On the other hand, WryLilt is correct, our society is one that wants to be entertained and pictures help to do that so, as she says, they don't get bored.  I guess its a catch 22 position and in this case best to go with folks who know (HP).

5. Au fait profile image94
    Au faitposted 4 years ago

Hubs are usually idled because they do not receive enough traffic.  Photos and videos are believed to attract more traffic as do smaller paragraphs.  Who wants to read a huge block of small print?  Confronted by conventional paragraphs like one might find in a book or research paper, lots of people move on.

Hubpages is of the opinion that too little information is not conducive to traffic either, which is why they now prefer hubs of 1250 words or more.

Try to find more provocative titles for your idled hubs.  Add photos and videos where applicable.  Then promote your hubs by whatever means you can think of -- Pinterest, FB, mailing lists, etc., and that's really all you can do.

The reason you want to please Google is so Google will make your hub available to searchers who in turn will give you traffic.  The name of the game is traffic.  If your hubs aren't getting sufficient traffic, they will at some point be idled.

6. fpherj48 profile image74
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

TP.....Surely, HP has the power.  They make the rules, they rank our hubs and whether it's HP or google or both.....they determine what is Featured....Not Featured.....blocked from revenue, and on and on and blah, blah, blah.
    I know how frustrating and/or disappointing it can be.  Be kind to yourself and learn to go with the flow......If you find these things matter to you a whole lot.....jump in with both feet and figure out the way to make it all work for you, while you work hard for "IT."   I realize that it is especially important to those hubbers who depend on writing here......for their main source of income. 
    I am retired.  Two years ago, I joined based simply on my pure LOVE of writing.  I'm still here for this reason, and now, of course, because I love the community, the education, entertainment & outlet..............However, NONE of this defines my life nor who I am. 
    You are doing so well.  Relax.  Take a deep breath......Good luck.

7. coleikerd profile image83
    coleikerdposted 4 years ago

Yes. They do inspire unnecessary imaging.

However, the reason the formula is there, is because the people in charge at HubPages are seeing what gets the most attention. More images - more love.

My personal opinion is that if you want to get the most views here on HubPages, follow the formula. If your goal is more focused on setting up your article in a specific way, do that. Better to be true to the article than to bog it down with irrelevant images. I've found sometimes, my work doesn't quite work with the formula. In those cases, I deviate. If they don't get as many views, I'm cool with that because the article is how I want it.

working