How many views, roughly, are needed to keep a hub from being unfeatured?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (29 posts)
  1. KL Klein profile image68
    KL Kleinposted 10 years ago

How many views, roughly, are needed to keep a hub from being unfeatured?

I've noticed a lot of people complaining about hubs being unfeatured for lack of engagement.

I've noticed traffic declining on some of my hubs, and I was wondering if anyone knows at what point I'd have to worry about being de-featured?

2. skgrao profile image66
    skgraoposted 10 years ago

There is a good guide by the Hub Team you please read it.It is in your Hub.More than Views it is the content and the effort that you put to make the viewer get interested that makes a featured hub ( As I Presume ).I have over 200 Hubs not as featured Hubs.I do not worry I make my home work by revisiting those Hubs and follow the Guide by Hub Team.

3. somethgblue profile image72
    somethgblueposted 10 years ago

I have Hubs that have over a 1,000 page views that aren't featured, so who knows what makes these folks un-feature hubs.

1. Insane Mundane profile image57
      Insane Mundaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Dang, that sucks!  Have you tried making a few small edits and then republishing them, to see if they get featured again?

2. somethgblue profile image72
      somethgblueposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm going in a different direction and although I will still publish on this site, I now believe that the Pole Shift will only serve as a catalyst for the ascension/harvest related in the RA Material.

3. Insane Mundane profile image57
      Insane Mundaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Did you ever get your website up and running yet?

4. watergeek profile image93
    watergeekposted 10 years ago

All 69 of my Watergeek hubs are featured. I wrote them all careful of quality and mainly as informative and/or how to hubs, rather than blog-types or rants. My other pseudonym is for blog-types and rants, and half of them are not featured.

5. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

This is a good question.  Well, all of my hubs are featured.  I went back and edited and added whatever to make them "evergreen" as possible.  So, I am not under the impression that it is the amount of views that will make one's hub become unfeatured, but that it must be of good quality to remain featured.  Just my opinion, and I may be way off base here.  Back when the hubs would go idle, I believe it was that they were not being viewed and I really do not have a clue about how many views it would take to prevent a hub from going idle then.  I look forward to reading the answers of others, as it is a good question.

1. Abby Campbell profile image72
      Abby Campbellposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree! I believe "evergreen" hubs do help to stay featured. If they're evergreen, they are most likely to be picked up in Google and other search engines and therefore viewed.

6. profile image88
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 10 years ago

In my experience, a hub has to get around one visit a week to stay "alive". One day, I will rewrite those few that do not reach that level of traffic, but I am concentrating on writing new hubs and re-writing some older but featured hubs first.

HubPages staff have said that the threshold for being featured is set very low and to be unfeatured for traffic of less than a visit a week seems very reasonable to me, although I know there is a lot of noise from some hubbers on this.

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Agreed. The threshold is extremely low.

7. C.V.Rajan profile image59
    C.V.Rajanposted 10 years ago

No idea. But lots of my hubs are "featured" but they are not really getting any page views! So there may be other criteria than just getting page views.

8. profile image0
    Ghaelachposted 10 years ago

It's realy hard to come up with the right answer. The checkers at HQ obviously don't like the same stuff as I do and more than likely the same in reverse. It's really an individual taste, in my mind.
    I have 5 unfeatured through quality and 22 unfeatured through ENGAGMENT (lack of visits). Some are over two years old some are within the last six months. I've also deleted approximately 10 others.
    I've learned not to worry about it and will over time delete those that HP doesn't like and after time publish them somewhere else.
    I still find it hard to figur out the difference between a 1000 word hub on info (not Bulls---) and a short 10 line hub that doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Not to worry, it's just the wonders of HP.
    LOL Ghaelach

1. watergeek profile image93
      watergeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You may have been speaking facetiously here, but a 10 line hub doesn't meet the minimum qualifications for posting on HP. Minimum words are 800 now.

2. skgrao profile image66
      skgraoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You have taken the words from my mouth.

9. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 10 years ago

It seems to be about 10 page views per month, though some hubbers have said as few as 5 per month is enough for a hub to stay featured for engagement.

10. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
    sunilkunnoth2012posted 10 years ago

I have done 71 hubs and all are featured.  Till recently a few remained unfeatured.  I gave some good edit and got it all featured.  At times, we may give repeat edit to get  it featured.  The point is constant watching and revision.  They may make it unfeatured. Then edit and resubmit. Again then may disappoint you saving this (too)  is unfeatured. Don't give up. Relax and examine where you can improve. Give necessary edits accordingly. Finally HP will approve your work.  This is the secret of my 100% featured hubs. Pay attention to quality. Traffic will follow.

11. younghopes profile image68
    younghopesposted 10 years ago

Interesting question, a few of my hubs which were earlier featured became unfeatured, but then i edited them, added a bit here and there and they were featured again but i never knew about the views quotient

12. Raitu Disong profile image60
    Raitu Disongposted 10 years ago

I have 13 hubs, all of them featured.
    And till now, they are featured. some of my hubs has many views, while some of them very few.

I don't see any reason why they should unfeature those hubs which has already passed the Quality assessment.

1. skgrao profile image66
      skgraoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes but the content standard is not under Quality Assesment I think.

13. AlexK2009 profile image85
    AlexK2009posted 10 years ago

I have a hub with 8 views not featured. I notice that when traffic rises suddenly unfeatured hubs tend to become featured and when it falls the number of unfeatured hubs tend to rise.

I have a suspicion that, while the quality guidelines are content agnostic anything the reviewer hates is more likely to get unfeatured. I also suspect there is an algorithm somewhere that is used to feature/unfeature hubs automatically.

Tangentially speaking I have a feeling all HPs efforts to improve quality are driving overall traffic  ( and membership ) down, but no one wants to admit this.

14. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 10 years ago

At present all of my 59 hubs are featured even though a few of them haven't received any views in the last 30 days and some only receive a few views a month. So possibly the new "weeding out" process hasn't gotten to my account yet. Several months ago, hubs with low views continually became unfeatured, so I added supplementary information and they became featured again.
    On the stats page, a symbol may appear next to an unfeatured hub indicating that the hub is unfeatured due to "engagement". So does this mean lack of views, or possibly the length of time a user spends reading a hub is measured and if they hit the back button on the browser due to lack of interest, this also counts as "lack of engagement"?

15. cherylone profile image87
    cheryloneposted 10 years ago

Excellent question.  I have been asking myself the same question for some time.  I have some hubs that I know need revamping but they are getting a lot of views and then I have some that are great (to me at least) that are unfeatured for whatever reason.  I don't know the criteria for featuring a hub, but I assume that page views have a lot to do with it.

16. krillco profile image87
    krillcoposted 10 years ago

If you are a niche writer, you can be as 'evergreen' and high quality as all get out and still get the whammy  from the feature creatures because there is a narrower audience for your work. It's all about money, and what is popular to write and read about....just like back in high school, Moondoggy. I just wrote an article about big hand low desire for sex in couples, and did not even use the word 'sex' once so that the Hub can avoid banning by the censors....call it a little experiment.

1. krillco profile image87
      krillcoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, the experiment revealed the mentioned Hub on you-know-what is not a featured Hub, though the writing is the same quality that I always produce and got featured Hubs with in the past. I kinda think they want you to use their expanded format.

2. watergeek profile image93
      watergeekposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Actually, most of my Watergeek hubs are about water conservation, which is not a popular topic. I have an average of about 24 views per day for all 69 hubs, so topic popularity couldn't be a big factor in featuredness, although it helps with traffic.

17. alancaster149 profile image74
    alancaster149posted 10 years ago

You can always go back over the ones you're not happy with and either re-write or modify them. If you're happy with the quality of your Hub pages then leave them or change/modify the heading. That sometimes does the trick. My least visited page, part 42 of the Hunding Hrothulfsson saga has only been visited eleven times, but it still keeps its 66 rating.
    Leave them be, even, and readers will come back to them, or new readers will take a shine to them (there are 1,000's of new visitors all the time).

18. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

i noticed that recipes hubs always get featured but other articles don't . I have tried the evergreen but still same. Hence, i gave up writing other topics besides recipes

19. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

After you have first published your Hub, caring about content, keywords, evergreen and such. I think that it just depends on how up to date you keep them. Not weekly and probably not monthly, I believe that they just recommend keeping them yearly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)