jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

When did floating adds come in? Why?

1. carter06 profile image81
    carter06posted 4 years ago

When did floating adds come in? Why?

Why do some hubs have floating adds across the page that float to the end of the hub? I find them annoying when voting or commenting on a hub & almost click on them when they flash in the way!

2. missolive profile image96
    missoliveposted 4 years ago

Same here. Are you using an iPad? I only see them when I'm using my iPad.

carter06posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that missolive. you are right I was using my Ipad and went and checked on my phone and laptop and neither of them have the floating adds on hubs only the Ipad??  Weird huh? Cheers

3. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

This would best be posted to the forums with a screen shot if possible. If this is a bug, allowing the HP moderators to see it will be beneficial in them fixing the problem.

carter06posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks peeples I dont think its a bug as it seems its only when i use my Ipad but will keep your suggestion in mind if it occurs on other devices..cheers

2. Barbara Kay profile image90
      Barbara Kayposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This is being used by Hubpages. We get no money for the floating ads. The forum has been full of complaints about them. The ads aren't a bug.

4. Sue Adams profile image97
    Sue Adamsposted 4 years ago

Hi Carter 06,
    I am really glad you brought this issue to people's attention in the Questions.

There are over 15 forum threads on the dreaded floating ads, misleadingly headed "Related Search". You can find all the forum threads here:
    http://hubpages.com/search/include%3Afo … rch?page=2

Most hubbers who know the truth about these floating ads oppose them. Why?
    1. Find someone else's Hub and click on a floating ad. You will be taken to entire pages of irrelevant advertising.
    2. We do NOT get our 60% share from these ads on our domains. HP's excuse for this is that they are not really ads in themselves, they are links do ads on one of their own pages (even though they are using our pages to link to them).
    3.Because they are so irrelevant to the hub titles and so spammy, many of us believe that these floating ads have contributed towards the steady decline in traffic on HP since their implementation in March 2013.
    4. Many of us have gone on strike until the Related Search ads are removed from our domains.

Feeling that all hubbers should be made aware of the bitter truth behind the floating Related Search ads, we agreed in the forum that SimeyC should write a hub about the issue, collating the main points of why we so strongly object to them. here is his Hub:               
    Related Searches by SimeyC

However, despite all our efforts, we are banging our heads against a brick wall on this issue with HP staff.

Now it's your turn, will you start another forum thread? Will you join the strike?

What can be done?