jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do you write your 'summary' before or after you write your Hub?

1. Joel Diffendarfer profile image93
    Joel Diffendarferposted 3 years ago

Do you write your 'summary' before or after you write your Hub?

I started out writing my summary before I even started adding content to my Hubs.  But now, I am finding I write it last.  Give me, and others who may need to develop, your experience and best practice.  Thanks.

2. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 3 years ago

Hello Joel, I have always written my summary first for some reason. I think it is because I know what I am going to write and writing the summary first gets my writing going. For some reason I cannot write until I get the summary over with.

3. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 3 years ago

Depends on what you've written. If you've written travelogues. historical, or fiction hubs there's no need for a summary, although you might like to pick up on a point you've made somewhere in your article. .
    If you've set out a treatise or argued a case for/against something, then you might need a summary - especially if you've covered several points.

4. somethgblue profile image87
    somethgblueposted 3 years ago

You write the summary when ever you feel like writing the summary, there ain't no rules to this game baby!

I write it when I have completely finish writing the entire article and have reread and edited it at least 3 or 4 times, including spell check, links, copyright, category and everything else. This way I can summarize the whole piece completely while thinking of how the summary will lend itself to search engines.

After all how can you summarize nothing?

5. ThelmaC profile image95
    ThelmaCposted 3 years ago

Joel I write mine last.  Sometimes I'm not sure exactly where the hub is going until I complete it.  That's because I write as I research and I often find details in researching that would be appropriate in my summary.  I think the main thing is to be sure you do a summary as that helps you in the search engines.

6. easylearningweb profile image91
    easylearningwebposted 3 years ago

Hi Joel,

I usually write it first but when posting my hub, it's usually too long and I have to edit it. So in the end, I usually refine the summary and make it the best it can be!

7. favored profile image36
    favoredposted 3 years ago

It depends, but I usually have an outline of what I want to write and as it progresses the summary just happens and falls in place.

8. The Examiner-1 profile image75
    The Examiner-1posted 3 years ago

Anytime that you think of it, just be sure it is there before you publish it. I usually write in Word and start the Hub first, sometimes the title and the summary come to me together before the Hub does.

working