What do you like the most about writing articles on Hub Pages? The least?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. PegCole17 profile image93
    PegCole17posted 9 years ago

What do you like the most about writing articles on Hub Pages? The least?

The Hub Pages community is changing daily with the influx of new members and new guidelines. What do you enjoy the most about the opportunity to write here and why?
    Are there things you would like to see change? Please explain and give examples when possible.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12310505_f260.jpg

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

I still like writing stuff, and of course it's always nice to get comments/feedback so you know that someone else besides yourself bothered to read the thing.

I hate it when I post a new Hub that I'm very proud of, I share it through my usual channels, but then when I check its traffic stats a few days later it's gone over like a lead balloon.

Unfortunately the above scenario has been playing out a little too often for me lately.

PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Keith, Feedback on our work is really what prompts us to write more. I think we're all having a bit of the same trouble with traffic lately. Not like the old days...Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

3. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Hi Peg Cole. I love putting an article together with the hubtools. It's fun fitting all the puzzle pieces together to create a quality, visually appealing article. I also love how you can get help from generous hubbers. The community is great. What I don't like it the addictive nature of HP which I think is designed that way for people like us who are overachievers and perfectionists. It creates a bittersweet, love-hate relationship that keeps us complaining and producing simultaneously.

Janis, you're right about the bittersweet nature of writing. The community here is kinder and gentler than any other that I've found. Writing here is addictive and I spend way too much time editing my existing articles rather than writing new ones.

4. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

I like trying to improve my writing to draw in outside comments. I am receiving plenty of views from the outsiders but not the comments. I check on Google Analytics and can see this.
    I also test different waters to see what genre I am better at writing, what genre I like writing.

I think you've got the right idea about drawing in outside comments. That is key to our site's success, not just the internal comments from other hubbers. Good idea to test the waters and find your strength. Thanks for sharing that tip.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I need to increase my traffic and my income. I have been here two years and still have not been paid.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image84
    M. T. Dremerposted 9 years ago

I enjoy the comments most. It's always the first thing I check for when logging into HubPages. Hearing from the community (regarding my writing) is incredibly satisfying. My least favorite thing would probably be the traffic, which is totally schizophrenic.

Hello M. T. Dremer, Yes, it is rewarding when people take the time to read our work and leave a comment. I agree that the current traffic situation is frustrating.

6. Faith Reaper profile image84
    Faith Reaperposted 9 years ago

Oh, I truly love the community of HubPages, and I joined to not make money. I was surprised that anyone cared to read what I wrote and actually left a comment.  I am blessed by the many followers and comments I have received in just two years much to my delight.  I am only able to write on the weekends and in the evenings, so my time is limited, as I work full-time as a paralegal in the city, with an hour commute during the week and back.  I have found that it is important to read and comment on all the hubs that are published by your followers, so that they will also return the favor and read and comment as well.  I love that I am free to write about what I want as long as I follow a few guidelines and that I can take up all the space I want at no charge, plus my comments tend to be a bit long too.  I keep waiting for HP to start charging me.  I was skeptical about HP when I first joined about it being totally free, as they do provide a lot of means so that we are able to be as creative as we wish.  One thing I do not understand and never will (but really do not hate) is the fluctuating hub scores for I do not understand how a hub can be in the high 90s and then a day later drop so much, and then those that had a lower score are now at the top.  But as long as I can write about what is on my heart, then I will continue to write here on HubPages when I am able to do so.  The community as a whole is supportive and kind, and I have actually made amazing friendships that I would not have made otherwise.

Faith, your articles are always from the heart and well written, thought-provoking and full of human kindness. Hub Pages has a gem with you adding your contributions here.
      I agree that answering the comments is the respectful and right thing to do.

7. Besarien profile image73
    Besarienposted 9 years ago

Maybe I haven't been here long enough to have noticed a downside. The experience as a whole has exceeded my expectations.

My favorite part would probably be either the people I've met here or the artistic freedom. I came from Iwriter where you have to write according to a client's needs. I had fun there and learned a lot. I was also chuffed to earn a bit of money on something I've always done for fun and for free. On the other hand, some clients there are truly terrible people. Plus I rarely got to write articles on subjects that interested me.

It is a great feeling to have freedom of expression on whatever subjects we want to cover. I'm glad you found the site and hope to see your work soon.

8. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Like other commenters I appreciate the opportunity Hub Pages offers us to write practically whatever we want an as much as we want. If it wasn't for HP I doub't I would even be writing. I love to keep trying to improve my writing experimenting with different genres, and the kind and encouraging comments from my peers is greatly appreciated. This is a wonderful community. The only downside is that rating methods for hubs and hubber scores are continually changing and it is hard to understand.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do not try to understand it John. Just think of it as the yellow brick road.

2. PegCole17 profile image93

Yes, John, isn't it great that we have this platform to express our thoughts and experiences? I think many of us are baffled by the scoring changes and random nature of that process. Also frustrating is the non featuring for engagement.

9. liesl5858 profile image83
    liesl5858posted 9 years ago

I like Hubpages because it is here that I learned something about myself that I can write articles or hubs. Hubpages is the first writing site that I joined which led me to Pinterest and Webanswers. I like how the Hubbers support each other. I also learn a lot of things from other Hubbers articles or hubs. Hubpages has a good community of excellent writers and hubbers. I love reading comments from outsiders as well as fellow hubbers.

Linda, It's nice to meet you here. I will get over and check out your work. I agree it is a constant learning experience to read what others have written. Thanks for coming by on this question.

10. lawrence01 profile image63
    lawrence01posted 9 years ago

For me it would be that anyone can do it!  The site is easy to use and the feedback is good. The thing I don't like is posting new hubs that take time to generate decent traffic ( I've got a few  that were written weeks ago but only a few visits so far)

Hi Lawrence, The site is truly user friendly but you're right, it takes time to generate visitors who stay and read and better yet, leave comments. Sometimes I find that if I read other hubs and comment, readers return the favor.

11. profile image87
    Robbie C Wilsonposted 9 years ago

As the majority of my hubs are about finding a solution to a problem, it is the process of finding out how to do something that I enjoy the most. I love the writing of the hub and getting the pictures together for it. I also love watching my Google Analytics and seeing people around the world looking at my hubs (sadly not enough of them).

In terms of what I dislike, I actually find the process of uploading my Hubs stressful as I am a perfectionist and I agonise over things like titles etc. But once it is all done, I am always happy and proud of it all.

Finding solutions to problems and sharing the solutions is a great reason to write a hub, Robbie. I also find that I edit several times even after publishing the hub and later, sometimes make changes again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)