jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Do you feel HubPages is great learning tool for writing?

1. tsmog profile image80
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

Do you feel HubPages is great learning tool for writing?

Sharing is I have learned much with my five year journey. When beginning to write I jested calling it the University of HubPages. Many readers were / are a great help. I learned much with writing regarding style and English language usage with both creative and informational articles. There are a great many hubs on how-to write fiction, poetry, opinions, focus on SEO, and more. Plus, reading others Hubs teaches too. How about your experience overall or any focus with learning?

2. janshares profile image97
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

Absolutely, no doubt that HP is a great learning tool for writing. I would specifically say for online writing which is a different ball game. I knew nothing, zilch, zero about online writing before 2012 and credit HP and several hubbers for helping me and showing me the ropes. Yes, I already had the basics, but if it wasn't for the help in the forums, the HubWeekly, HP Blogs, and the Learning Center, I would not understand the bigger picture. Reading others' hubs was at the top of my list as well, particularly the hubs under "HubPages Tutorials and Community." There are gems there written by hubbers who share based on something they've discovered or learned about hubbing.

1. alancaster149 profile image85
      alancaster149posted 2 years agoin reply to this

The main thing is you enjoy writing, passing on ideas to a wide 'audience'. The advantage of this site is that you can  update, subtract copy/images. Links, maps etc are also easy to add. Many, not as simple to change copy have fallen by the wayside.

3. Zubair Ahmed profile image79
    Zubair Ahmedposted 2 years ago

Yes I agree with Janis below, HP has been instrumental in getting me to write.  I used to stay away from writing, but then I found HP and the community ethos of HP and with financial benefit, followers, comments.  All have resulted in me writing....I enjoy it now, shame don't have much time to do that though :-)

4. alancaster149 profile image85
    alancaster149posted 2 years ago

I have to agree, since opening this account on Hub-pages that I've honed my writing, improved on opening paragraphs and titles, sharpened online skills...
    Presentation is the key, a well structured page is the door to an online presence.
    It's a showcase.

5. peachpurple profile image81
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

yes, i like the learning centre which is full of varieties of topics and questions answered fr newbies and oldbies like me.

6. SpiritusShepherd profile image60
    SpiritusShepherdposted 2 years ago

I have noticed that my writing skills have greatly improved since joining Hubpages. I pay more attention to my grammar and to sentence structure. I think the most important skill I have learned is editing. I no longer publish first drafts, but write several before I publish. This was an important skill to learn for me, because my first drafts are usually just words my brain decided to vomit onto a page. In the drafts after this I am able to slow down and get to the core of what I am really trying to say, and structure my hub in a more professional manner.

Good grammar and editing are like good manners, Kris. Just as we try to make sense in talking to someone to communicate an idea they'll understand, what we write needs to do the same

7. kbdressman profile image94
    kbdressmanposted 2 years ago

I think it's as good of a learning tool as the hubber makes it.  If someone passively continues doing what he or she has always done, no learning is going to occur.  However, hubbers who are willing to read the Learning Center, examine Editor's Choice Hubs and compare them with their own hubs, and ask other people for help and feedback, great insight can be gained!

A long time passed from when I wrote my first few pages to when comments appeared. I've got many bare comments boxes, but it doesn't bother me so much any more. It's the quality of the comments and the sentiments/ideas they convey that matters

8. tlcs profile image45
    tlcsposted 21 months ago

Yes, I believe it is. It also makes you think. I have found that when I start a new hub my brain becomes overwhelmed with words and I have to get them down on paper. Writing doesn't come easy to some and I would say once you have decided on your title or on what interests you the most and you decide to write about it the writing tends to flow. Hubpages is a great learning tool.