Do you feel HubPages is great learning tool for writing?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

Do you feel HubPages is great learning tool for writing?

Sharing is I have learned much with my five year journey. When beginning to write I jested calling it the University of HubPages. Many readers were / are a great help. I learned much with writing regarding style and English language usage with both creative and informational articles. There are a great many hubs on how-to write fiction, poetry, opinions, focus on SEO, and more. Plus, reading others Hubs teaches too. How about your experience overall or any focus with learning?

2. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Absolutely, no doubt that HP is a great learning tool for writing. I would specifically say for online writing which is a different ball game. I knew nothing, zilch, zero about online writing before 2012 and credit HP and several hubbers for helping me and showing me the ropes. Yes, I already had the basics, but if it wasn't for the help in the forums, the HubWeekly, HP Blogs, and the Learning Center, I would not understand the bigger picture. Reading others' hubs was at the top of my list as well, particularly the hubs under "HubPages Tutorials and Community." There are gems there written by hubbers who share based on something they've discovered or learned about hubbing.

1. alancaster149 profile image76
      alancaster149posted 8 years agoin reply to this

The main thing is you enjoy writing, passing on ideas to a wide 'audience'. The advantage of this site is that you can  update, subtract copy/images. Links, maps etc are also easy to add. Many, not as simple to change copy have fallen by the wayside.

3. Zubair Ahmed profile image75
    Zubair Ahmedposted 8 years ago

Yes I agree with Janis below, HP has been instrumental in getting me to write.  I used to stay away from writing, but then I found HP and the community ethos of HP and with financial benefit, followers, comments.  All have resulted in me writing....I enjoy it now, shame don't have much time to do that though :-)

4. alancaster149 profile image76
    alancaster149posted 8 years ago

I have to agree, since opening this account on Hub-pages that I've honed my writing, improved on opening paragraphs and titles, sharpened online skills...
    Presentation is the key, a well structured page is the door to an online presence.
    It's a showcase.

5. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 8 years ago

yes, i like the learning centre which is full of varieties of topics and questions answered fr newbies and oldbies like me.

6. SpiritusShepherd profile image60
    SpiritusShepherdposted 8 years ago

I have noticed that my writing skills have greatly improved since joining Hubpages. I pay more attention to my grammar and to sentence structure. I think the most important skill I have learned is editing. I no longer publish first drafts, but write several before I publish. This was an important skill to learn for me, because my first drafts are usually just words my brain decided to vomit onto a page. In the drafts after this I am able to slow down and get to the core of what I am really trying to say, and structure my hub in a more professional manner.

Good grammar and editing are like good manners, Kris. Just as we try to make sense in talking to someone to communicate an idea they'll understand, what we write needs to do the same

7. kbdressman profile image60
    kbdressmanposted 8 years ago

I think it's as good of a learning tool as the hubber makes it.  If someone passively continues doing what he or she has always done, no learning is going to occur.  However, hubbers who are willing to read the Learning Center, examine Editor's Choice Hubs and compare them with their own hubs, and ask other people for help and feedback, great insight can be gained!

A long time passed from when I wrote my first few pages to when comments appeared. I've got many bare comments boxes, but it doesn't bother me so much any more. It's the quality of the comments and the sentiments/ideas they convey that matters

8. tlcs profile image60
    tlcsposted 7 years ago

Yes, I believe it is. It also makes you think. I have found that when I start a new hub my brain becomes overwhelmed with words and I have to get them down on paper. Writing doesn't come easy to some and I would say once you have decided on your title or on what interests you the most and you decide to write about it the writing tends to flow. Hubpages is a great learning tool.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)