jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

How do you feel about live chat on HP? It's been discussed before, but let's tal

1. cam8510 profile image97
    cam8510posted 15 months ago

How do you feel about live chat on HP? It's been discussed before, but let's talk some more.

There are times, like right now as I am typing, when it would be nice to see if someone else from HP is online and would be willing to beta read my latest hub/flash fiction story. You see, I've scared off all my friends in the real world. They see me coming and think, Oh my gosh, another story? I'm sure we could think of other uses, like carrying over fights from the forum into live chat. You know, character assassination in real time. But really, I think we could use it more positively than that, don't you? So speak up, say what you think.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13265973_f260.jpg

2. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 15 months ago

Hi Chris. I am a fan of live chat and sometimes use Yahoo Messenger, but the new version is useless so not worth the effort most of the time. I have seen this suggested fr HubPages before and do think it would be great, but I don't think it has ever been seriously considered.
    As you say it would be very helpful in getting beta readers and the like. As long as you can ban people that you don't want to chat with, I'd support it.

1. cam8510 profile image97
      cam8510posted 15 months agoin reply to this

Hi John, I searched the topic and found this: "This is something the Team has talked about in the past, but our main concern is that we simply don't have the resources to monitor or moderate a live chat." 24hr monitoring wouldn't be necessary.

2. Jodah profile image91
      Jodahposted 15 months agoin reply to this

I am sure they could find volunteers to act as moderators from among hubbers

3. cam8510 profile image97
      cam8510posted 15 months agoin reply to this

If this question gets enough participation, we might catch their attention. Or I could send them a link.

3. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 15 months ago

I don't like live chats, period, but perhaps it is because I don't like what I've seen in chat rooms so far. Also, I would wait around to see if one on HP turned into the brouhaha that so many forums and questions do. I think a lot of people use the forums and questions like a chat room, so how do you keep them out so it could be constructive?
    If a chat room could be run in a constructive manner where we could be of real help to each other and not turn into a circus, I could change my mind.

I understand what you mean about running your friends off. My friends couldn't care less about my writing, with the exception of one, a fellow editor where I work. But now she has indicated that she is tired of my trying to get her to read my stories. I really do like genuine critiques, and I always appreciated her red marks where I forgot a comma or quotation mark.

1. always exploring profile image85
      always exploringposted 15 months agoin reply to this

Chris, I think it would be nice to chat on HP if people would leave politics out of it. I believe we could learn from each other...

working