jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Anyone feel twinges of guilt about Best Answers?

1. Jeremy Gill profile image95
    Jeremy Gillposted 9 months ago

Anyone feel twinges of guilt about Best Answers?

May be silly, but if there are multiple well-made answers to a question of mine, I may feel guilty about selecting one as Best Answer. Theoretically, we're all professionals and thick-skinned, but I imagine many Hubbers are secretly hurt by "losing out" when they also provided a good answer. Not selecting a Best Answer could also induce anger. Any thoughts? Do you feel bad about having to pick a best answer among several good ones? Is it an outdated concept that should be done away with? My current solution is to randomly select from the best responses, but I'm open to ideas.

2. lisavollrath profile image95
    lisavollrathposted 9 months ago

If there's no really stellar answer to a question, or there are multiple answers I feel are on point, I simply don't choose a Best Answer. There's nothing that says you have to choose one.

The minus to that is when answers rise to the top that are not so great. Then, yes, just pick the answer that does the best job, and don't feel badly about having several that might have been Best Answer. I don't think people really feel badly about not having their answers chosen.

Jeremy Gillposted 9 months agoin reply to this

I understand. If an answer as good as or better than mine gets it, I don't mind. Still, there have been times where mediocre answers receive it, and where my answer wasn't commented on by the asker, but others were. That can feel like a slight.

3. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 9 months ago

The only time I'm bothered by someone being chosen as Best Answer is when the person who asked the question is clearly just choosing whichever answer is closest to their own POV. Often someone will post a controversial question and get lots of long, well thought out answers, but some snarky one-liner gets chosen because they aren't really interested in hearing opposing views.

I'm not offended or hurt in the slightest if another sincere, thoughtful answer is chosen.

Oh yea, steel thy soul any who enter the religion or political areas. Definitely frustrating when someone asks something but isn't actually interested in various answers, as they already know exactly where they stand.

4. Terrielynn1 profile image93
    Terrielynn1posted 9 months ago

No, It doesn't matter to me who is picked for best answer. My thought is the person who asked the question can pick who they want. To me, thats why they asked to question in the first place. If your question isn't asked to acquire the answer you are looking for, maybe that person should reconsider asking it in the first place. I see a lot of people asking questions now that have been asked and answered many times. It seems they may be going into questions and repeating what they read. that is the only time something in questions bothers me. I stopped answering ones that have been asked to death.

Thanks for the input. I don't mind who gets best answer unless something devious or rude is involved.

working