jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)

Where do you get images?

1. Zizish profile image54
    Zizishposted 7 years ago

I'm looking for sites to pull images from that won't get me into trouble here. I know about Wikipedia, but I'm wondering if any other sources are out there.

For example, right now I'd like to find a picture of the muscles in your face, for a face-sculpting Hub I'm planning.

Thanks,
    Zizish

1. profile image46
      Green News Guyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The US Government has millions of photos that are public domain. Also Googling "public domain images human face" will give you other sites.  Good luck

2. vox vocis profile image83
      vox vocisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I find my images on Google...just by typing the key words...as far as I know it's a public domain and copyright images usually have a watermark or sth similar...

1. Marisa Wright profile image99
        Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's not true.  ALL images are copyright unless specifically stated otherwise.  Watermarks are placed on images that are for sale (when you pay, you get a clean version).

2. RedElf profile image84
    RedElfposted 7 years ago

You could try just Googling them (search Google Images), and checking for copyright. I have a browser add-on called CoolIris that works beautifully with Firefox (browser), and is great fun to use - also faster than just using a Google Images search.

I like to use my own whenever possible. Whatever source you use, ALWAYS attribute the picture (see the most recent HubNuggets hub for the way that is formatted), and never cite them "with permission" unless you have that in writing (or in an email smile )

You will still spend a lot of time searching for just the right pictures, but you will have a much broader scope.

Good luck! big_smile

1. Zizish profile image54
      Zizishposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that response. I'll check out Cool Iris. I love using Firefox because of all the cool plug-ins.

What about Flickr or Photobucket - aren't those images free to use as long as they are attributed properly?

Flickr has an Advanced Search - tick "Creative commons" and "for commercial use" and you'll get photos you can use with attrribution.  Attribution means referring to the photographer's photostream, ideally with a hyperlink (which you can't do in a caption, so I usually put it in my "Hub credits" at the end of the hub).

Photobucket images have been copied from multiple sources on the web, usually illegally.  There's generally no way of finding out what the licence is.  I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole!

Note that ALL images on the internet are copyright unless there's a specific statement to the contrary - which is the opposite of what most people think. 

Google has a "photos labelled for reuse" search but you can't rely on it - Google itself states that it's up to you to check the licence on the images found.  I've found copyright images using that search.  I had a quick look at Cooliris but I can't see any indication that it filters by licence.

3. profile image0
    Justine76posted 7 years ago

flickr etc...yes. ummm  look in the guide, i know i read 'the rules' somewhere in there when i joined. i just use my own pics to be safe. (except one. dont tell on me...)

4. darkside profile image81
    darksideposted 7 years ago

www.freerangestock.com
    www.sxc.hu
    www.morguefile.com

Each have their own terms and conditions, be sure to read up on them.

5. AnythingArtzy profile image81
    AnythingArtzyposted 7 years ago

I use my own.

6. Paradise7 profile image83
    Paradise7posted 7 years ago

I go to Bing a lot.  I like their pics.

7. marcel285 profile image69
    marcel285posted 7 years ago

Google image search. Most of them you're allowed to use.

Again, not true.  90% of the images on Google Image search are copyright.  If there is no statement specifically saying the image is available for use, it's not available for use.

8. marcel285 profile image69

Actually yes that's right Marissa. I just remembered..Because i am doing a course in article writing, now i recall that everything is copy right, belonging to the creater.

But i don't understand why one would spread their images over the net, if they didn't want other people using them..

1. Paradise7 profile image83
      Paradise7posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Me, either.  But maybe the person IS getting paid somehow, unless someone borrows their pic.

9. Princessa profile image83
    Princessaposted 7 years ago

I try to use my own pictures, its original and I have fun doing them.

I have also used photos from Flickr.  Everytime I've contacted the owner for permission they have given it to me.  In fact they were flattered that I was wanting to use their photos.  The same goes for videos from YouTube, the owners are always happy to let you use their videos.

10. marcel285 profile image69

It is the responsibility of the creator to mark their work with a little c. If they don't, well although their work is still copyright, when it comes to a lawsuit, not much is going to happen. Because it is the creators responsibility to clearly mark their work as copyright.

Marcel, so what you're saying is, it's OK to use someone else's material so long as you can't get sued for it?

I hope I'm misunderstanding that.  As a creative person myself, I find the idea of misusing someone else's creative work reprehensible, whether or not I can "get away with it".

1. marcel285 profile image69
        marcel285posted 7 years agoin reply to this

i don't have a link. I am doing an article writing course. The information came from a student book called, 'writing and the law.'

Oops, I edited while you were posting.  I'm pretty sure the law is different for images than it is for writing.

1. marcel285 profile image69
            marcel285posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The two go hand in hand, according to what i know about it. Most articles have pictures..

I'm quite surprised that people whom appear to be professional writers, don't even know..

There may be pictures alongside an article, but the pictures are not part of the article and not covered by any copyright statement that refers to the text. 

This is an excellent article debunking some copyright myths - all Hubbers should read it!

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

11. brimancandy profile image81
    brimancandyposted 7 years ago

I mostly use my own images. However, if you look around in different Facebook groups on your topic, you can find a lot
    of pictures that are pretty much used by everyone. I even find some of my own photos in those groups, which is ok with me.

I also get a lot of mainstream videos at Youtube. I would post more of my own, if it didn't take an entire day to upload them
    from my computer. But, you can find them pretty much anywhere.

You can also search for them in your browser. But, I have had the best luck with facebook.

working