jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

Capsule size

1. Bubblegum Senpai profile image87
    Bubblegum Senpaiposted 7 weeks ago

Been a while since I've been here, but can anyone tell me why they removed the ability to have side capsules or floating capsules and when that was changed? It helped me keep my hubs organized and made things easier for readers. Now going through my hubs, they look like a bit of a mess and now it looks confusing to readers!

I basically used them to put in some background knowledge for readers on the side without interrupting the flow of the article. Now they're kind of tossed in there and it totally breaks the flow of the article. Why would Hubpages remove such a feature that helps make articles look more professional?

1. wilderness profile image98
      wildernessposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

Because they work out very poorly on mobile devices, and that's the bulk of readers today.

1. Bubblegum Senpai profile image87
        Bubblegum Senpaiposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

I guess that's understandable. I just have to delete or rework almost every hub I've written. I mean, I'm grateful for the increased revenue I've received on network hubs, but they're much less reader friendly and the flow of the article is completely broken.

Looks like I'll be deleting capsules and just replacing them with Wikipedia links hmm

1. wilderness profile image98
          wildernessposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

We all have.  The word came out long ago, but if you never saw it you have a job ahead of you yet.

2. Barbara Kay profile image91
          Barbara Kayposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

There is no reason to replace them. Just move them over to the center above or below the text capsule. If you need help knowing how, just let us know.

1. DrMark1961 profile image98
            DrMark1961posted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

If the images are small she will have to replace them or the articles will not be moved to a niche site. HP wants images to be at least 1000 pixels in width.
            (If the images are already big enough, I agree with you and all she will have to do is move them up or down.)

2. Bubblegum Senpai profile image87
            Bubblegum Senpaiposted 7 weeks agoin reply to this

The problem still lies in location. I had these capsules at the side for a reason. I write about anime and video games, so in a video game review for example, I might be covering changes to a certain mechanic in the game series, but use a capsule to the side to describe the mechanic in general.

For example, in Pokemon, there's a mechanic called "Hidden Abilities," and it's implementation is different in every game. So in the review, I describe it's implementation in the specific game I'm reviewing (and whether these changes are good or bad as a reviewer would), but to the side I would have in a smaller capsule a description of what exactly a hidden ability is, this way my review can still make sense to more casual players, but people who are already familiar with the concept can continue to read the review as is.

Simply moving the capsule to above or below another capsule not only interrupts the review, but confuses the review with a tutorial, so I will have to remove these capsules altogether and link to sites that explain these things instead.

2. DrMark1961 profile image98
    DrMark1961posted 7 weeks ago

You do understand that more than 70% of your readers were never seeing those capsules in the location you placed them, right? The images were appearing above or below the text and were just confusing and not helpful at all. The whole point of this update is to make the images in a better position for all readers, not just those using a laptop.

working