Is video the future? Say Media, Maven, Hubpages vs. YouTube

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. robhampton profile image92
    robhamptonposted 6 years ago

All I know is that even though many of my articles appear first page, first position on Google that the ads and YouTube vids appear before that. Should I start making "videos" for my niche? I also know that when I want to like work on my car, I go to YouTube first before anything else. This merger with Say Media is exciting, but I'm wondering that as unlimited broadband grows, and video accessibility becomes more "the norm",, will video outweigh text articles in the near future of internet engine searches? Does this even make sense? lol

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I find it helps to link your articles to your own Youtube videos.  It definitely makes sense.

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, makes sense. I think most people like to look up a quick tutorial or information on video; it's easier. People make a lot of money on YouTube. Some people, not everyone, of course.

But I'd think if your articles are doing well, videos would too.

3. Shesabutterfly profile image94
      Shesabutterflyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I sure hope not. I know for me personally I hate video's. I'd rather read or skim to find the answers I'm looking for. If I stubble upon a site that only has a video I exit and find a new one. In a society where people want things now rather than later I find it hard to believe videos are the thing readers would want. When I watch videos (which is very very rarely) the answers take forever to get to. You also can't skim them, and half the time they go off on random tangents or include a bunch of information that is not really needed. I honestly find them really annoying to watch.

For some topics, cars for example I can see video's being a better option. My husband prefers watching youtube or some other how to so he can figure out how to fix the car. How to video's for this seem easier especially for hands on learners or those that need to see things in action. However, I don't think video's are needed for most subjects.

I could include video's on some of my articles to enhance them, but I could never simply put together a video and have it stand on it's own like I've seen on some other sites.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

If you can make good videos, definitely do that and treat it as a second source not replacing hubs. Do both.

robhamptonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes.. agree. From what I've read on YouTube payments, right now the 'YouTubers' pretty much need to be viral with 10's of thousands of views just to get a couple bucks. We're good here lol

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

That is how it is smile

2. EricFarmer8x profile image93
      EricFarmer8xposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I considered making videos to post on my Hubs but I wondered if doing this would be worth the extra effort.

I think it is, it does depend on the subject though.

3. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

This was something HP encouraged a few years ago. We had the facility to upload our own vids directly. It wasn't anything that appealed to me, so I didn't look into it. It didn't really help traffic and wasn't popular, so it was discontinued. I think the majority are here to write, otherwise we'd be Youtubers instead of hubbers.

HP discontinued their own videos a few years ago but others continued making them on YouTube and posted the links.  Earnings made there are added to Adsense earnings.

2. robhampton profile image92

I'm here to write not because it's "my passion" but because I make decent money from it. My question wasn't really about videos on HP, it was referring to more of a general internet thing. Will videos eventually become more desirable than written articles in the future? Not by authors, but by readers/viewers.

4. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 6 years ago

Interesting and valid question. I think you are right. I recall a client who works in media telling me that as a therapist I need a video rather than a website and articles. Just this past week, I heard on a business marketing report that websites will soon be extinct.

Regarding videos on HP, I do have a couple on some of my relationship articles. I did not make them myself but they are from another project where I was interviewed. I'm not certain they actually increase views but they are meant to enhance the article topic.

Yep. My question was more... is video eventually going to become more popular than written articles? I didn't mean just on HP, I meant just in general on the internet.

Isn't it already? Social media is mostly videos, and that is where the people are.

2. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

+1 Got it, Rob.

5. Kangaroo_Jase profile image73
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 6 years ago

Consider where you need or want to spend your time and energy with this.

Sure writing content on Hubpages/Say/Maven is no doubt a lower barrier to entry.

The time and energy needed to write content is far less intensive than making, creating editing and uploading video (say to YouTube)

Sure, every year we hear that 'this is the year of video' and I myself have been reading or hearing it for over 9 years (almost longer than YoutTube has been around)

Ultimately I look at the primary concern. That concern is, 'Am I answering the question that my reader or viewer is asking', with the intent of my articles, or video's answering their questions. I also ask withthe conten I produce, is it relevant, timely, a great resource, helpful and easy to understand.

My suggestion would be continue to write and look at creating and putting up a few video on YouTube as a side venture. You can dip your toe in the water and see what happens.

Well put. I agree. Video editing can be a pain. I definitely plan to stick with this as long as I can. Great suggestion!

6. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 6 years ago

Rob, I hate the idea of getting up and combing my hair just to put something out on the internet! Down with videos, and long live written media!!!

Haha

2. janshares profile image94

OMGoodness, DrMark1961 I agree, which is why I refuse to activate Skype! I'm in my pajamas right now, at 12:30p EST. big_smile big_smile big_smile

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I got a good laugh out of that. I have been working in my garden all day and am covered in sweat and mud. The last thing I want to do is get into a Skype conversation with someone from the big city.

1. janshares profile image94

big_smile+1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)