What's Your Writing Process Like?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. RooBee profile image80
    RooBeeposted 5 years ago

I'm always curious about how different people go about their writing process. I've been writing professionally for a decade. Yet..I still find myself falling into chaos and struggling to manage my time efficiently. Do you have a strict protocol as far as the when, where, and how of working - or do you just squeeze it in where you can? Do you have some tips, tricks, weird and disturbing rituals, or other insights to share on how you discipline yourself into churning out the words at an acceptable pace?

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
      Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I usually get an idea, based on something I read or a question someone asked about one of my niches. But my disturbing ritual is that I can only write at night. I guess there's too much happening in the day. Sometimes I have several ideas and let them sit until I am in the mood to write.

Then I like to consider how I want to present my piece, so I think about it for a while, let it perk inside my head. When I am ready to write a first draft on Word, it's usually pretty close to finished though. By then I know what I want to say, and the piece just needs some tweaking and a few finishing touches.

RooBeeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like you and I have a lot in common as far as this goes. I'm always up late at night working on projects. Drives my husband crazy, so I'm trying to adjust.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

interesting question. I write about things I know a lot about or that I think will help people.  Time isn't a problem for me because I'm retired.  Sometimes i write often, other times I might not write for a month or more...especially if there is something distracting or important going on in my life.  I do spend a lot of time updating when I see articles that aren't getting good page views.  I don't feel that I have to write, I just like doing it!

Thanks for the reply! I peeked at your profile, and am excited to go back and read about some of your adventures.

2. agilitymach profile image92
    agilitymachposted 5 years ago

Hmmm.  I find I make time to do those things I want to do. So, for instance, I love to train my dogs. Therefore, I make time to train my dogs, pushing other priorities, such as a cleaner house, aside.

The same goes for writing. If I have a topic I'm excited about, I find it easy to find the time to write. If I have a topic I know will be good but I'm not personally whooped up about, I procrastinate, and the dirty house become more important.

So now, I try to work only on topics that excite me. I've been writing fiction for the last year (yay..my first novel!), something I've never done. It's been fun, and I write every day. I haven't written Hubs lately because I hadn't come up with topics that drew me to the keyboard. I have some now, so I'm writing Hubs again.

I do have a place where I write. I also try to sit down and write something almost every day. When working on a novel, I have a low weekly word count (2,000 words) that I set as a goal. I usually do more like 5K, but I at least have to do 2K. That helps me too.

I believe the podcast "Writing Excuses" covers this. You might check its archives and see if their ideas are helpful to you.

I will absolutely check out that podcast, thanks for the suggestion! I really appreciate your input, and am inspired by your word count goals. Also, I'm so glad to hear you're having fun writing your novel - that's great!!!

3. profile image0
    RTalloniposted 5 years ago

I like quiet, and alone time. Not an earth shattering tip, but finding that quiet space helps a lot. Perhaps scheduling that rather than putting "writing" on your calendar could help. :- )

Excellent suggestion! My life is heavy on distractions and noise, so I'll heed this tip. Thanks!

4. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Tons of ideas and I play catch up trying to get those ideas written down and edited for others to read.

I stick with my clients' deadlines and write my stuff every day. If I feel that my schedule or writing habits are not working for me or others, I reassess my goals and purposes. They always come back to "I love to write."  I keep writing.

I wrote for one of the original screenwriting websites - it is now called Screenwriting University. I interviewed countless screenwriters of major movies. They all have their own way of getting in front of the computer and writing - their own process. Their common denominator is to write and write some more. Write until you have something worth selling and reading. Nothing gets in their way.

I found that belonging to a writer's group is helpful as long as the group members are writers who work and get their projects down for others to read and eventually sell.

Never, never compromise your own goals and purposes. It's a waste of time.

Wonderful advice, thank you!

5. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
    Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years ago

When writing a hub, I need 100% focus. I eliminate as many distractions as possible, which includes turning off my cell phone and not checking emails every 30 minutes. In addition, I do not focus on the “endless errands,” such as grocery shopping or household tasks and responsibilities.

I can assure you that my first draft and what is finally published are diametrically opposed.

Getting to that place where I have no distractions is always a challenge (which is why I'm often up in the middle of the night trying to work). Thanks for the insights!

1. liesl5858 profile image83
        liesl5858posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I write straight away when an idea pops into my head. Sometimes I finish an article in a day but I keep updating it even though I just published it if I find I need to add some more. I don't really have a specific time to write my articles. I am quite an impulsive writer. I work full time so I do write on my days off.

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
          Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Linda, I am just like you. Once I publish an article, I keep updating it too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)