How do you thank people that offer great and useful content ?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Daily Matters profile image62
    Daily Mattersposted 14 years ago

As the title says, i would like to know how do you thank people that provide great content here on hubpages.
    I'm fairly new here, i'm still exploring this world. I don't know too much people or follow much hubbers. The way i found to thank people who provide good information and entertaining read, is to go through their adds, maybe trying to find some that interest me and follow it. I'm alittle bit "shy" to just go and comment...

So, how do you do it ?

1. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had my first comments recently from someone who gave me credit for some of my hubs. I was very glad because there was a short thank you note ''on behalf of parents and kids around the world'' at the bottom of one of the hubs. I felt very pleased someone found my work useful and appreciated my want to share this information. I don't think there is a better thanks. Clicking the ads isn't something that would make me happy if someone wanted to show gratitude in such way cause ads are for those really interested in the topic and this should be accidental. I am amused with the numbers (scores, comments, page impressions). The number rising makes me feel good. There...that's what I think!!!

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please don't click on ads to "help out".  If you overdo it, the Hubber could get banned from Adsense for click fraud - and that wouldn't be much of a thank-you, would it?

If you're too shy to leave a comment, click the "up" button at the end of the Hub.

3. PeytonFarquhar profile image61
      PeytonFarquharposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I will typically reply with a constructive comment to the person's hub, and, if I am sufficiently compelled, will check out their private blog and/or social media profile(s).   As a writer, you can always learn something new.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

For the most part, I give a thumb's up vote, as I often don't have a truly useful comment which adds something.  And I hate those repetitive "great Hub" comments myself.

If I really love someone's Hub, it's easy for me to have something to say along with my thumb's up vote.

1. drej2522 profile image68
      drej2522posted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmmm, I would have to disagree on this one. I think providing the repetitive "great Hub" now and then is useful...as long as it's a great Hub. It's like film critics giving the typical "thumbs up"...actually, in my eyes, it's better than giving a thumbs up vote, for at least the reader took the time to write down something...any positive comment is still just that...A POSITIVE COMMENT... smile

Ahem, GREAT THREAD, by the way!

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And, you will find that many Hubbers don't approve the comment or end up deleting it later on, because of clutter of their comment section.

Besides, if you only leave a comment "Great Hub", it actually detracts from the value of the hub, because those who leave "Great Hub" comments, most likely didn't read the hub, more than simply visiting.

I've had people who have managed to leave a comment on a Hub, and not even be their long enough to register as traffic?

How is that helpful or beneficial to anyone? smile

Just a thought. smile

umm, read what I said, Cagsil...that's how it's beneficial...(rolls eyes)...and I didn't say you couldn't provide more feedback...

and how about this for thought? It provides encouragement! like I said, positive feedback is better than nothing...maybe not everything is about 'traffic' Cagsil. Maybe it just makes the person feel better. If you want to delete it, delete it...

3. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

If you really like their work, you can join their fan club - oops, - you can "follow" them (in the "fan" sense of the word wink )

It can be hard to think of a good comment sometimes, but relache is right, rating/voting the hub up (use the rating button at the bottom of the hub) is a good way to anonymously show your appreciation.

If you find you are reading and enjoying a number of their hubs, you might want to overcome your shyness and at least say "Hi there, I like your article." Most of us appreciate meeting new folk.

4. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 14 years ago

you can  vote it up by clicking on the green button ... but I rarely click on ads. as I am worried about people's adsense accounts being affected if I do.

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

The problem shouldn't be "shy", when you're on a computer and reading someone's hub. If you found the hub to be well written or you enjoyed the information brought forth(meaning you got something from it), then be nice enough to Rate UP the work or offer a simple kind comment.

Many hubbers regulate their comments, which means you would have to wait for you comment to be accepted by them. This isn't a problem, as long as you add value to the it. smile

6. Mamelody profile image60
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

I just comment on the post and say thank you for such helpful information

7. profile image0
    rethansmithposted 14 years ago

Like the others, I will usually thank them by giving it a thumbs up, or a "plus" rating or whatever positive rating button you click at the bottom of hubs.  If it is one that I enjoyed for a particular reason, I will leave a comment interacting with the bit of content that I enjoyed and what I got out of it - or anything I have to add.

If the content fits within the guidelines of something I may think will be helpful to other friends and followers on other networks like FB or Twitter I will share accordingly.

8. drej2522 profile image68
    drej2522posted 14 years ago

and, to my knowledge, nobody has ever deleted my comment. smile

To your knowledge. smile

9. double_frick profile image60
    double_frickposted 14 years ago

i'll admit i am a bit "shy" believe it or not. even on the internet.
    so unless i have something to really add besides how much i loved a persons hub i will thumbs up and/or follow them as i want to read MORE of their hubs. smile

i'm sad i don't get more comments. but i can't be too upset since i have a hard time leaving comments too. haha its like leaving a message...awkward. *shrugs*

10. tipperary profile image60
    tipperaryposted 14 years ago

The best way to thank someone is by leaving a comment.

11. Daily Matters profile image62

That's more or less the same way i feel about comment on someone hub... But it seems this have to change, i would like to make part of this community o hide in the shadows it's going to be very helpful.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

leaving a nice comment can also start a friendship, especially of those you follow. I almost always leave a thumbs up and say something if I have time to leave comments. as you start leaving comments, you will feel more comfortable writing them.

good point!...the 'awkward' stage, as double frick pointed out, will quickly phase out as you continue to critique more and more hubs.

2. double_frick profile image60
        double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i do agree as it is getting more comfortable do comment as i do it more. smile
        once i get comfortable i'm the most extroverted person i know.

3. Jane@CM profile image60
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rebekah, great point!

I leave a note of thanks in the comments for the related article or I will thank them through email smile  If you love someone so much - go ahead tell the world, post a thank you in the forum smile

12. Daily Matters profile image62

You're totally right... But i never overdo it, normally i only click on those i feel interesting enough, and i only do this sometimes... it's not like a way to thank, but more like a way to get more information about something.

But i do get your point, and it's not the right way to do something like this.

13. Dao Hoa profile image60
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

I was "shy" of leaving comments too. At first, I just vote "up". As you are here longer, you will be comfortable with comments smile

14. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

don't be shy, comments mean a great deal to most hubbers.  I know they do to me.  Hope your able to share your thoughts to some hubbers soon big_smile

15. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 14 years ago

There are a number of ways you can thank people for great content. You can link to them from somewhere else; you can promote their content on social bookmarking sites like Digg and delicious; you can even write content about their content with a link back to their content (such as a post on 3 best hubs I've found this week). Oftentimes if they have an Amazon affiliate link and I was planning on buying something from Amazon in any case, I'll buy it by going to Amazon through their affiliate link and then finding whatever it was I wanted and buy it--that way they will get the commission for the sale.

Comments and up votes are good, but for the people who have truly great content, rewarding them more tangibly means that they have the free time to keep producing great content.

16. supermom_in_ny profile image72
    supermom_in_nyposted 14 years ago

When I find useful information on a hub I:
    rate it up
    leave a comment
    add it to a bookmarkmarking site
    tweet it
    stumble it
    digg it

The best thing we could do for each other is to share it with our own networks.  Sends the hubber more traffic and your social media networks will be appreciate your great contributions.  It's win-win. 

Wouldn't you agree?

smile

1. sunforged profile image71
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree.

The best thank you is some sort of "share" with networks, friends or especially backlinks on external sites.

All things which I do.

17. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I tattoo my head with hands that clap....

***SLAP*** tongue lol lol

18. grannygoodearth profile image60
    grannygoodearthposted 14 years ago

I do read the hubs and like to comment so that the author knows that i did read it. I also hope that my comment might encourage visitors looking at the comments sections first to stick around and read the hub...and maybe a few ads!

19. libby101a profile image62
    libby101aposted 13 years ago

Wow! I didn't know people were shy on the internet. I guess it's possible...I just can 't see how! Nobody can see you....so it's not personal! It seems on hubpages a person should be more open than ever! I believe once you "shy ones" get out and read more hubs, comment in forums, and write more you will slowly climb out of your shells.

Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And you revived a 10 month old dead thread for that. roll

1. libby101a profile image62
        libby101aposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry... I didn't notice the date. My bad!

2. marty1968 profile image60
        marty1968posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil, What side of whose bed did you wake up on this morning. That was down right rude of you. If I were you I would be ashamed!!!!!!

20. Staci-Barbo7 profile image70
    Staci-Barbo7posted 13 years ago

I LOVE reading comments my readers leave for me.  The first thing I do when I sign in to my account is to read comments.  big_smile

21. lovetherain profile image80
    lovetherainposted 13 years ago

Leave a nice comment, link to it in your blog, tweet it, stumble it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)