I'd like feedback on my article: 5 Great Writing Tips for Beginners

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Mahmood Anwar profile image65
    Mahmood Anwarposted 5 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. I've chosen a subject close to my heart and reviewed it multiple times. Will you please give feedback on my article? What can I do to improve? Thanks!
    Here is my article: 5 Great Writing Tips for Beginners (must be signed in to view)

2. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

Your first photo is blurry and needs to be replaced.  There are also a number of errors in sentence structure, spelling, punctuation, grammar, tense agreement and point of view consistency. Try putting it through something like Grammarly to get specifics of what needs to be fixed.

The main problem is that this information is quite basic that has been presented in countless articles already and it presents nothing unique. Telling viewers to set realistic goals, read, persevere, writing about how they feel and not taking negative feedback to heart is nothing new and your coverage is pretty simplistic. 

Some of your advice is also questionable.  Telling new writers not to focus on grammar and vocabulary isn't the best idea.  In order to be published they need to learn to write well and this includes grammar, vocabulary and word usages along with sentence structure, and punctuation etc. is crucial for becoming a writer and can't be ignored - learning to write properly and write well is the first step not the last.  You also suggest they take articles from others and rewrite them in their own words.  While you may have just meant this as an exercise, new writers may take this as a way for generating articles to publish.  This of course, isn't okay so expanding on what you meant there and how it can help them learn to find their own voice and come up with their own unique topics or unique views on things is important.

The bottom line is you need to give readers something that they can use and won't find presented in the same way all over the internet, and quite honestly, in stronger and more complete articles. 

If you want to provide advice on writing you would also need to establish your credentials.  If you don't have a background of publishing or something that suggests you have the background to provide such advice it won't be taken seriously.  You can't compete with the published writers, editors, instructors and professors etc. who readers will be more likely to look to for advice on writing. And truthfully, giving writing advice in an article replete with mistakes isn't going to get through QAP or be read even if it did.

What do you have experience in? What's your background?  I'm sure you have certain skills and experience in different areas.  Try coming up with topics in one of those areas to write about.  In the meantime focus on writing skills to make sure that your technique is up to par. This will ensure that when you write about an area that you know you will do so in a competent manner.  Then you will get through QAP on the first shot and your articles will have a greater likelihood of being more widely read.

I'm sorry if this sounds overly critical - I'm just trying to help you get the results you want from the work you put into your writing.  When you write about writing, your own writing needs to be close to perfect or no one will take you seriously - not the outcome you want smile .  Good luck!

3. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Natalie, Took the time and offers sound advice. By looking through your article, it is obvious you are not familiar with HP Guidelines. Please read those and make the necessary changes to your article. Resubmit and see if that works. Writing feature articles for HP takes hard work and edits.

4. SoyCandleLover profile image81
    SoyCandleLoverposted 5 years ago

Hi Mahmood,

Welcome!
    Better advice about the context of your article is offered above, but just wanted to give you a few format pointers.

Your image quality and the selections themselves need some work:

1. Your images should be your own, or images shared by permission by the owner, with or without attribution as required by the owner.  Do some research into attributed images shared here by our friends on Hubpages, or of course Google, to get the most current info. 

2. The images are very grainy even viewing on a smart phone. Select large, clear images.

2. The first image of a book is a no-no. If it's not your book, you shouldn't copy and paste it to an article. If you are reviewing a book, then maybe? Not a reviewer, so not sure about that.

3.  Try breaking up your text into category titled modules separated by either images, callouts like near the end of your article,  or reader interactive modules like polls.

I never claimed to be a writing expert, but:
    I am an avid reader,
    I have too little time to do everything I want, and...
    I like to write about too many hobbies, first at Squidoo, and then here at Hubpages.

Best wishes,
    Beth

5. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

I'm sure we will have better advice coming up?

1. SoyCandleLover profile image81
      SoyCandleLoverposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If that is for me, I had started to reply before ANY advice regarding context was given.  I may have been editing my response at the same time. Was not meant to be critique about the advice given.

Cheers

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)