Those who write quote articles

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image93
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Writing quotes can get a bit tricky because you are using quotes not your own words. How do you get around the original content pass?

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 5 years agoin reply to this

This too can be a bit tricky with some. But writing around the quote to explain an issue or a solution can be somehow helpful. There are times we had been asked to do so in an examination. Thank you.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image93
      Kenna McHughposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I sorry. I wasn't clear. I meant writing about quotes like "Great Sports Quotes" or "Inspirational Quotes."  The articles about quotes are getting approved by HP. I want to know how it is done. Original content is tricky. Any suggestions?

1. Jean Bakula profile image88
        Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There is a quote option in the text capsule. I have written it in a font and choice of color, to make it stand out better, and just attributed the author. I've done it on several articles without an issue. Maybe that helps?

Jean,
          Yes. That is what I do when I am quoting someone in a "regular" article. The one I am working on is an article about favorite quotes and so forth.

1. Jean Bakula profile image88
            Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like a great idea for an article, I love good quotes. I hope it works well for you!

Jean,
              Thank you. So do I.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image93

I wanted to let everyone know that my Albert Einstein quote article passed QA and is featured. Samantha helped me by working with me and making sure the original content and quote ratio passed QA. Thank you, Sam! I plan to add extra original content and submit to a niche site.

Hey, Kenna, let us have the link to the article. Thanks.

Yes. I did send you an email with the link to the article. Did you get it?
          https://hubpages.com/education/22-Alber … d-Religion

I am now logged in my email box. Got it. And, thanks.

2. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
    Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years ago

Kenna, are you referring to introducing a quote from a third-party source within an article? Do you mean something like this:

On April 8, Condoleezza Rice, the U.S. National Security Advisor, testified before the independent National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States. CNN.com points out that “The White House initially refused to allow Rice's public testimony but reversed its position after pressure from relatives of 9/11 victims, commission members [sic] and politicians.”

Or is it something else?

3. Gregory DeVictor profile image95

Kenna, if you’re looking for words and phrases to introduce quotes within a manuscript, this may help you:

Here are some words and phrases that you can use to introduce a third-party quote: “remarks,” “points out,” “according to,” “tells us,” “explains,” “confirms,” “reveals,” “argues,” “agrees,” and “adds.” Here are some examples of how the words and phrases function within the body of an article:

On February 4, Facebook was launched by Mark Zuckerberg, Eduardo Saverin, Dustin Moskovitz, and Chris Hughes in a Harvard University dorm room. Matt Ahlgren tells us that Facebook is now “the king/queen of the social media landscape with an audience that is both massive (close to 1.5 billion active daily users) as well as loyal (average time spent on it per user per day is 35 minutes).” About 400 people join Facebook every minute.

On December 25, a 9.1 magnitude earthquake created a tsunami that caused devastation along the coasts of several Southeast Asian countries. Britannica.com confirms that “On December 26, 2004, at 7:59 AM local time, an undersea earthquake with a magnitude of 9.1 struck off the coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra. Over the next seven hours, a tsunami--a series of immense ocean waves--triggered by the quake reached out across the Indian Ocean, devastating coastal areas as far away as East Africa. Some locations reported that the waves had reached a height of 30 feet (9 metres) or more when they hit the shoreline.”

CBSNews.com tells us that General Motors, the nation’s biggest automaker, lost $30.9 billion in 2008. That was “nearly $85 million a day, or more than $3,700 on every vehicle it sold in 2008.” Likewise, Ford Motor Company suffered a $14.6 billion loss in 2008, “the worst annual result in its 105-year history.”

In September, the term “grayware” was coined. ComputerHope.com explains that “grayware (or greyware) refers to an unwanted software program (small or large) that can cause damage to a computer system. Most adware, malware, and spyware programs can be classified as grayware. In general, grayware is not as destructive as a virus, but rather are more of a nuisance or annoyance.”

In 2004, the national unemployment rate was 5.50%. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics points out that “Two States that border the Pacific--Alaska and Oregon--recorded the highest jobless rates in 2004, 7.5 and 7.4 percent, respectively. Michigan, at 7.1 percent, was the only other state with a rate above 7.0 percent. Overall, 16 states and the District of Columbia had unemployment rates above the national average of 5.5 percent in 2004.”

On May 14, the "I Love You" virus attacked tens of millions of computers worldwide. According to Commdocs.House.gov, “a number of people around the world began their day by reviewing their e-mails, including one with an attachment attractively entitled ‘I LOVE YOU.’ Upon opening the attachment, however, these unsuspecting victims soon learned that saying ‘I love you’ also meant having to say 'I'm sorry' as they became victims of the Love Bug computer virus. In one day's time, roughly 47 million people received the email worldwide and the virus looked for love in all the wrong places in over 10 million computers.”

In January, Citigroup, the nation’s largest bank, reported a fourth-quarter loss for 2007 that approached $10 billion. Citigroup CEO Vikram Pandit blamed the company's grim results on “subprime exposure in the company's fixed-income business, a surge in credit costs in its U.S. consumer loan portfolio and the staggering $18.1 billion writedown on its subprime-related exposure.”

The monetary crisis quickly spread to the entire U.S. financial sector. Joel Havemann reveals that casualties in the United States included the largest mortgage lender, government-sponsored entities Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the entire investment banking industry, two of the largest commercial banks, the largest savings and loan, the biggest insurance company, and the auto industry.

Whenever appropriate, I also insert “[sic]” into the body of a quote when there is an obvious grammatical error, missing punctuation marker, missspellling, etc.

Here is a link to a useful article on the subject:

https://www.gallaudet.edu/tutorial-and- … araphrases

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

I think OP means pages that are just examples of famous quotations on various subjects -- not the sort of thing you paraphrase

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
      Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If that’s the case, there are a couple of writers here whose articles Kenna can reference as a prototype You probably know which authors I mean too.

Gregory,
        Thank you. Your other suggestions were great, too. Quoting properly is important.

5. Gregory DeVictor profile image95

Doesn't Natalie periodically write those kinds of articles?

Yes. She hasn't been around of late.

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
        Gregory DeVictorposted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is true. I think that she has written articles that have quotes centered around a common theme.

Yes. I have viewed them, not hers, and I followed their format. I am now working with Samantha to get my first one approved.

6. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 5 years ago

Hey, Kenna, perhaps, you are alluding to the "call out" text capsule quotes? I start with it last year, and my experience is like this: I look for a significant short text in a book or article relating to what story I am writing, and the subsequent text capsule.  It is like calling for attention.  That short quotation will be a pointer to the text I am writing. It embodies the body of that particular text capsule. The text capsule then will be simplifying the question and explaining things in detail. I hope this helps a little. Thank you, and good day to you.

Miebakagh57,

Thank you. I do this with my other articles. This one is about favorite quotes and so forth.

Hi, Kenna,  "This one is about favorite quotes and so forth." What type of favorite quotes are these, I may ask. Do you mean to say a writer just quote a long text of a page or two amount to 750 words? And, this becomes a standard text accept by HubPages for publishing? Thank you.

It's a list quotes from Einstein and discusses his life and theories.

Well, can you give me a link to the article? And, thanks.

It's not published. I am waiting for approval since I resubmitted it.

Noted, and thanks. Can you inform me when it is done, via email? Thanks again.

Yes!

Have a great time.

7. Kenna McHugh profile image93
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Great!

8. Rishikes sarker profile image36
    Rishikes sarkerposted 4 years ago

Great post. Articles that have meaningful and insightful comments are more enjoyable, at least to me.

Kenna McHughposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)