I'd like feedback on my article: Unbelievable Pictures & Videos Showing How...

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (23 posts)
  1. compu-smart profile image88
    compu-smartposted 16 months ago

Hi Hubbers,

I would really appreciate some help with my article to help pass the Quality Assessment Process. Any feedback to improve it would be great fully appreciated!

Thanks!
    Here is my article: Unbelievable Pictures & Videos Showing How Small Earth Really Is!

1. theraggededge profile image98
      theraggededgeposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Hi there,

My suggestions:

Remove the ampersand from the title.

Remove the frame from the first image.

Credit your photos and make sure they have the appropriate licence, i.e. Creativie Commons for commercial use or Public Domain.

Remove the link to your other hub as it isn't relevant to the content.

Remove the last video as it's not relevant either.

I would also question whether the 'Interesting Earth Stuff' capsule is relevant to the title. Remember you are writing about size comparisons of Earth to other planets and starts, therefore, you must stay on topic. And... if you remove that section, you really need to add more on the actual topic or the article will be too short on words.

compu-smartposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Hi theraggededge:)

I have followed/done all your suggestions.

I will now have to add more words and follow your advice concerning the following,,,

"Credit your photos and make sure they have the appropriate licence, i.e. Creative Commons for commercial use or Public Domain".

BIG THANKS!!! smile

2. compu-smart profile image88

Hi again...

Ref "crediting the images", I performed an image reverse and found many replica images, so I am not sure who to credit them to!

https://tineye.com/search/3a1eb1125500f … 8c5?page=1
        i.e. Creative Commons for commercial use or Public Domain.

I don't know where I can find similar images I can use freely!

See if they are on Pixabay or similar.

More help here: https://hubpageshelp.com/content/Learni … -image-use

I cannot find anything on pixabay that is suitable, nor the original owner of the images I have used which are all on other websites for other reasons/uses.

How can I found thee original owner to attribute the image to, and how can I tell if they are not allowed to freely be used!?

I've no idea. Where did you get them from originally? Are they from NASA?

If so, you're probably fine reproducing them. I think they make them available to anyone to use, but you should check that in case I am wrong.

I cannot remember where I got them from. I do know that each image has been used 100s of times on various reputable websites and blogs, and without any of them adding attribution/source of original image location/owner, although my information/words are unique.

I hope given these facts, it should be okay!

2. compu-smart profile image88

Hi...again:)

I have worked very hard on this hub, even having a break to view/edit/make better with a fresh mind. And taking on board all the advice.
            Yet, something is a miss. I have re-worded and deleted sections and added new videos and found a source to attribute the images yet It still is not featured and HP has suggested getting someone to proofread for me. Unfortunately, being a recluse/loner (long-stay) I have no-one to. I would even offer to pay you for your time and help!

Kind regards.

CS.

Hi there,

I noticed you have it in the wrong category. You have it in 'Entertainment'. It should be under 'Education'.

Get rid of the bold text. Use bold sparingly.

Put your subtitles into title case.

Your intro goes wildly off-topic with the mention of Pluto. Why have you brought it in there? This is about Earth and comparative sizes. It's not about Pluto - not until it's the right time to bring it into the article anyway.

"How could we humans..." Not 'us'.

"That show how..." not 'shows'.

It's still really thin on text. It's hard to read with all the figures and bold planet/star names in there. I think a comparison table might be helpful.

One of the problems is that you are just regurgitating cold facts. It would be much better if you could expand your article into something that could be an educational resource.

Obviously, you can't copy this one, but there's a ton of info here: http://www.astronoo.com/en/articles/siz … stars.html and it may help you structure your article.

The important thing is not to stress over it. Go and have a look at the articles on similar topics for inspiration:

https://owlcation.com/stem/astronomy/

Thank you.

I really, really, really appreciate your feedback and I have followed/corrected all your advice.

Except, "Put your subtitles into title case" which I don't fully understand.
                And your comment  "It's still really thin on text." which I will work on today?

smile

Sweet!  Again, I really appreciate the time and effort you have given me.

Luckily, I am tenacious and resilient and am/will doing/do anything within my (and your) power to get this hub featured! smile

2. OldRoses profile image97
      OldRosesposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Your article is much too short.  HubPages is looking for articles that are approximately 1,000 words.

The images you are using are not "okay" if other sites and blogs are using them.  The sites and blogs may have received permission to use them.  They may have purchased licenses to use them.  You can only use photos and videos that are your own or Creative Commons licensed unless you have purchased a license to use them or have permission from the photographer to use them.  If so, then you have to indicate that.
      Period.  No exceptions.

I had diificulty following your size comparisons because you don't indicate where any of the giant stars are located.  You must remember when writing an informative article, that not everyone has the same knowledge that you do so you must explain everything that you mention in your article.  Where are the stars and planets in relation to earth?  What are the orbits?  What is the Milky Way?  What are the celestial objects made of?  Can they be seen with the naked eye?  What kind of telescope is necessary to see them?  Explaining these details will also help you reach the 1,000 word count.

Thanks for your input which has been and will be worked on.

I have been and will keep trying to make contact with those websites using the same images to see where they got them from and what permission they have, seeing as none of them have any information detailing they have permission to use them or any attributes/or source of image because without that, I will have to get out my feltip pens and draw the planets and stars myself which would be the only solution!

1. OldRoses profile image97
          OldRosesposted 16 months agoin reply to this

Have you tried Wikimedia Commons?  All of their photos are Creative Commons licensed.  I find it very helpful when I am searching for pictures of flowers, plants and seeds (I write on gardening).

I really appreciate your help/input.

I could not find any which were suitable. I will have to draw them and take a picture as a last resort if I cannot find a resolution (pun unintended!)

Although I have exceeded the minimal of 750 words required.

Thanks.

1. AliciaC profile image98
              AliciaCposted 16 months agoin reply to this

I don't know whether you've investigated this clue. If you go to the third source in TinEye when the images are sorted by oldest (the nrg one), you'll see a page with two of your photos. When I use Chrome's translation ability, I see that "Bo Wade, cc-by" is written under the photos.

Sorry, I'm having a blond moment! (no offence to blonds:) What does this mean, or what can I do?

1. AliciaC profile image98
                  AliciaCposted 16 months agoin reply to this

The "cc-by" note is a term that some people use to indicate a creative commons license for a photo, though it doesn't specify which type of creative commons license has been used. There's no guarantee that the website used the license reference correctly, though.

Big THANKS for taking the time out to help.

My brain is about to crash! - but I have lots to think about and work-on to hopefully get this article un-featured, hopefully tomorrow with a fresh mind:)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)