Google is Insane

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (26 posts)
  1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago

One of my articles that normally just gets a hundred views per day is suddenly up to over 8,000 views per day.

Of course, it's my "reasons not to have a pet cat" article, which generates lots of comments calling me a cat-hater and an idiot. I mean, in my opinion, if you are thinking of getting a cat, you should understand that you have to give the creature some affection, clean out the litter tray, and be prepared to pay out hundreds, if not thousands in vet fees if necessary when the little thing gets sick (which is what I do).

Anyway, that's not the point. I'm more amazed about how Google goes crazy sometimes. And yes, I am experienced enough with this internet milarky to know that this situation is very temporary. Still remarkable though. I feel it's some sort of test...

1. chef-de-jour profile image97
      chef-de-jourposted 3 years agoin reply to this

You must be feline wonderful with that many views.

2. alambientertainment profile image59
      alambientertainmentposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hey PaulGoodman67, you got me at that part for: "cat-hater and an idiot".

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 3 years ago

Just today or since when? Either way enjoy it while it lasts, Mr. cat-hater lol

PaulGoodman67posted 3 years agoin reply to this

It's happened within the last 24 hours I think. I've certainly not seen any reflection in earnings as yet. Up to nearly 10,000 daily views now. More comments calling me a "moron" and "dog lover" (dog lover is a serious insult I've learned). It's actually intended as a kind of pros and cons list type article. I don't get all this on the hamster and dog articles. I actually like pets, but hence I know the challenges.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I actually checked out your article. I looked up pethelpful and it was there among the popular hubs. It was a nice read. Those insults are really funny. I know you aren't but you should definitely not take them to heart.

About your other comments, since it is a hub on pethelpful I would assume you'd get a decent CPM because this is search engine traffic and not social media traffic. Enough to buy some cat food maybe xD

It's a sudden deluge of Google android traffic, according to HP. I don't expect it to last. (It's beginning to decline as I write) smile

Thanks for the "nice read" compliment! Pet stuff like this is not worthless, in my experience, but it's relatively moderate in CPM terms. If it were an article about fixing washing machines, I'd be a rich man! Okay, maybe not.

In my early years at HP, I used to get into it with commenters, sometimes full arguments, but then I stopped, and nowadays I just let it wash over me. Call me a moron if you want. My favorite is when I write a pros and cons list and people accuse me of being contradictory! I mean, come on... smile

"My favorite is when I write a pros and cons list and people accuse me of being contradictory! I mean, come on..."

lol

3. Isivwe Muobo profile image70
    Isivwe Muoboposted 3 years ago

Wow, lucky you! You are one of the lucky ones that didn't get hit negatively with this new google May update.

Generally I've done well out of the May update, I believe. Though it's not a regular picture across the board. This particular hub is definitely an aberration. smile

I also know from experience it won't make a big difference to earnings or anything. You are better off with an Amazon hub, or hub in a topic that's reasonably ad friendly, that does consistently well over a long period of time. This is a flash in the pan thing. But it's a phenomenon. At least for a day or two.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

Paul, I've been there done that. Enjoy the Ride! smile

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago

It is kind of random. I have experienced similar before, but typically there is a reason. For instance, my Freddie Mercury article suddenly went crazy when the movie was released. But this one seems more like one of those technical aberrations when Google are messing around with their algo. I will make a few bucks (literally a few) and then things will go back to normal, I'm sure.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 3 years agoin reply to this

When I get a big boost in views I immediately think "What AM I going to do with an extra $9.42 this month?" Congratulations.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I miss having an HP payday every month.

2. lobobrandon profile image88

Put it in savings towards that giraffe xD

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

I do sometimes wonder why I am university educated, yet work my balls off to earn the equivalent of a part-time office cleaner. But the freedom that it affords can sometimes be wonderful. And I do love writing.

There's some character called Dr Mark who has the most popular spot on Pethelpful, of course! smile

6. Robie Benve profile image95
    Robie Benveposted 3 years ago

I always wonder what triggers temporary jumps like that, but I never got a peak that high. Maybe this will last a little longer. Good for you, enjoy!  smile

7. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 3 years ago

That's amazing! I don't think I've gotten those kind of views before though I think some people on the forums have said they get that many views regularly. I'm sure it's rare though.

Strange I got a bit of a boost from social media recently and those surges are funny and random too. They come and go. And a bit of a fun boost periodically but never do they pan out into any kind of significant change in income. I think somebody's article went viral awhile back and she ended up with a pretty good payout for the next month.

Yes, it was the military diet or something on those lines if you are thinking about the same one. It went viral on social media. This is the one I had in mind when I typed an earlier reply.

1. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yep, that's the one. I can't remember the details but I think she made a lot of money. But I'm sure it was temporary.

8. Doneta Wrate profile image79
    Doneta Wrateposted 3 years ago

ha ha :-D

9. EricFarmer8x profile image95
    EricFarmer8xposted 3 years ago

Sounds great!

I never had that many daily views before but one of my game articles was getting more views for a while before that game had its last update. Never been the same since.

10. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 3 years ago

Ha! I get SO much hate for my Cat Pee article. I get hate on all of my articles though which is pretty funny since most of them are just how-tos. ANYWAY I'm happy for you that you've seen a spike in traffic, that's awesome!

I've learned to let it all wash by. But it could be a little scary if you were of a sensitive disposition. Sometimes people do point out genuine mistakes and that's useful. And some people do make a reasoned argument, or state their point of view in a reasonable way. But mainly you can feel like a punchbag. And people make all sorts of assumptions about you. It is a bit weird. smile

11. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 3 years ago

I now know what I have being doing wrong all these years - I should have been writing about cats lol!  Congrats on your traffic surge Paul, hope it does translate into some financial gain.  We all need some good news at the moment.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)