Plagiarized article

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (39 posts)
  1. OnlyJ profile image60
    OnlyJposted 3 years ago

I found a plagiarized article an absolutely no way of reporting it. Help manual says “click top left grey flag in article” but there is _nothing_ anywhere in the entire article to click.

1. theraggededge profile image98
      theraggededgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Is it your article?

1. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I just reported one the other day. The flag should be there to the upper left of the article; it's kind of got a faded gray color, I guess to distinguish it from the social media buttons just above it.

1. OnlyJ profile image60
          OnlyJposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks you! My screen looks like this; there’s nothing?

https://hubstatic.com/15104549.png

See the flag on the left?

https://hubstatic.com/15104640.jpg

2. NateB11 profile image89

It appears the option is not available on mobile. I checked on my phone and I couldn't find it either. If you have a desktop/laptop, you can do it from there.

3. Marketing Merit profile image95
            Marketing Meritposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Turn your phone around to landscape, not portrait and the flag should be on the left-hand side.

However, do check your facts carefully, as Joanna is an editor for Hubpages.

I knew I recognised her name! She's lovely.

1. Marketing Merit profile image95

Yes Bev, she is. Joanna edited a few of my articles a while back, and was extremely professional. That’s why I questioned the authenticity of the plagiarism claim.

Without wishing to judge, the OP has no featured articles and only joined two months ago. Therefore, I can’t help but question the motives behind this.

2. lobobrandon profile image88
                lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

She is.

1. CYong74 profile image96
                  CYong74posted 3 years agoin reply to this

This is the second time within the week that a new hubber has posted in the forum about plagiarism. Or should I say, HP having no protection against plagiarism.

That other new hubber barely made sense with what she said, on top of abruptly changing the story midway. So yeah. It smells fishy.

1. lobobrandon profile image88

Weird. Too many spammers these days.

I thought that was the case too, but I turned my phone horizontal for landscape and still didn't see the flag.

You need to click on the three dots if on Chrome (maybe others too) and click desktop site. What shows on landscape depends on the screen resolution, etc.

Not getting the three dots. What's funny is, if I scroll down far enough, I get the social media buttons and email thing but no report button. If I go to the three bars in the upper left for the menu, I get the social media buttons again, no report button (not that it should be there but I again get the social media buttons). So, for whatever reason, some of us don't get the report button on our phones, it appears

Yes, because you are not viewing the desktop version on your phone. I guess they programmed the report button to show on screens with a resolution greater than "X". That's why the option from your browser and not the website to view in desktop mode should allow you to get it, at least in principle. It works on my phone when I do this.

2. OnlyJ profile image60

I’m admittedly new to the site, appreciate you guys trying to explain

2. OnlyJ profile image60
      OnlyJposted 3 years ago

No it isn’t, it just bothers me that someone simply replaced someone else’s article. It was an article that I followed, and since I had been really active in the comments I frequently viewed it. I even had a link to it in my safari-browser. It was written 2012 by a man. About a week ago I clicked the link to see if someone had responded to my recent comment, and suddenly the article had been replaced! The link led to basically the same article with minor changes in it, but suddenly the author was a a woman, it said that the article was published that same day, and all the comments were gone. So somehow the original article had been replaced. I have no idea how this could have happened, but since I’ve followed that article for about a year I know that that woman did not write it. To be frank, it just pisses me off. No one should take claim of someone else’s work.

3. OnlyJ profile image60
      OnlyJposted 3 years ago

Oh, and I posted two comments under the new article. First one asking what had happened to the original article, then one saying that this seemed like plagiarism. They quickly got removed.

There is a flag on the left side of every article. Click on it and it will give you options. However, it is possible that the article has been sold and passed between two hubbers.

Had it been duplicated on HubPages, it would have tripped the duplicate content filter.

1. OnlyJ profile image60

That’s interesting - I had no idea articles could be sold between hubbers

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
            Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

OJ, article(s) can be stolen, sold, and plagiarized.                     But my little worry is that you did not respond to the theraggedged quetion "Is it your article?"                           Thanks for post the issue.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image91
              Sherry Hewinsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

She said no

4. OnlyJ profile image60
      OnlyJposted 3 years ago

Wow; this got out of hand.

I am not a scammer and I have no idea what my motive for lying would be. As you can clearly make out from the posts I am _completely new_ to the site, and also was informed that articles could evidently be sold between two hubbers which I had no idea of until the woman in this forum told me that (and you can all read it). This is most likely what must have happened to this article since it isn’t a duplicate but has _replaced_ the old article. The old article is gone. She absolutely did not write that article, which is the entire reason I posted here because I wanted to report it, and then I was informed that evidently articles could be sold between hubbers. I’m wondering; if she bought the article from the original author, wouldn’t she be obligated to disclose that she didn’t actually write it, only modified it? I know a lot about plagiarism because of university and bachelor essays, and we weren’t even allowed to copy _our own_ work in another paper without properly referring to it, because it’s still considered plagiarism, so ownership is not all that matters.

Anyway; I’m no spammer. I have no wired motives. I’ve been commenting on the original article for like a year (since before I had an actual account here) and suddenly it was gone and replaced, and I wanted to know why.

1. Marketing Merit profile image95

Another possibility is that the author did write the original article, under a pen name, and has opted to consolidate her accounts. (Multiple accounts are allowed on Hubpages.)

1. OnlyJ profile image60

I guess so, but it seems unlikely because the original article was written by a Belgian man and there was a picture and bio of him and everything, and the article had the same headlines, pictures, title, and much of it’s content, but it also included his own experience in a five year long relationship with a woman who didn’t like his children and how he eventually felt he had to end that relationship. Then when this article came up instead she flipped the words boyfriends and girlfriend in the title and in the rest of the text, left much of the content as it was with smaller modifications, but removed all the references to the real relationship. Seems like if it was her all along she would have kept the part of the five year relationship that ended because of the issue the article brings up. Also since there was a picture of the make author, that picture would then be stolen from a real person. Of course it _could_ be the case, but I suppose the theory of her buying the original article seems more likely. Thank you for the input though; obviously I’ve given this a lot of thought so it’s nice to see there may be several explanations beyond pure plagiarism I guess :-)

5. OnlyJ profile image60
      OnlyJposted 3 years ago

Also thank you to everyone who cleared up that reporting an article requires being on a computer or turning my phone around, I didn’t know.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
        DrMark1961posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Although you posted with the best intentions, this forum is hounded by spammers and trolls. There is a thread on there right now from some guy who comes on about every day to tell us that we are all racists and how much money he makes on other sites. He gets banned, starts a new account, and then starts up again as if he has never been here before.
        I have no idea if you have to mention that you were not the original author. I would certainly think so, as I would never want to post something I had not written, but am not sure if there is a protocol for that.

1. OnlyJ profile image60

Ah ok; I get it. I do. I felt really accused for a moment there but I get how one can get suspicious if the forum is filled with spammers. What a bummer.

Yes it seems weird to me still. I searched through the article to find some sort of reference to the original author or just some disclaimer that she had only modified the article and not actually written it, but I found nothing of the sort. I then, as I’ve mentioned here on the forum, posted two comments under the article asking about it, but they got deleted quickly (instead of her responding to it). That’s when I started to look for a way to report it since it just seemed so wrong. I’m not sure if it’s allowed to pretend to be the original author if you’ve paid the original author to get that right, but to me it still seems wrong. And as you said, I would never _want_ to put my name on anything that I hadn’t written myself, but that obviously isn’t true for everyone.

No problem. And yes, I agree that escalated quickly. But it says more about them than you.

6. theraggededge profile image98
      theraggededgeposted 3 years ago

It would be unlikely that someone would plagiarise a HubPages' article and republish it on HubPages. Plus the account holder in this case is a trusted and well-liked HubPages' editor.

Accounts do get sold and transferred. Sometimes writers pass away, or they have a new career and prefer to take a lump sum if someone is willing to pay for it, thus giving up all rights to their work.

The date on the article is the date it was last edited, not when it was published.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
        Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Bev, I do not know the fact that a writer can sell out his/her account on HP. Thanks for this information.

2. OnlyJ profile image60

The original author in this case had only published this one article, and it didn’t seem like he had been active for a few years. It was originally posted in 2012 so that was a long time ago, and he hadn’t written anything else. I know because I clicked on his profile to specifically look for more articles on the same subject, if maybe he had some new takes on the matter later on or something like that.

I know that the date on there now is referring to when she last updated. It was published Saturday 4/7 this year, or possibly one or two days before that, but no sooner. I know because this subject is somewhat of an obsession with me because one year ago I married a man with two teenage children, and I googled for articles touching on that subject a lot, and found that particular article (the original one) well written and very insightful, but super-provoking. I posted some comments in the comment section and then found myself frequenting that article several times a week because there kept coming new comments, and I kept feeling either really provoked or very much in agreement, and therefor posted many comments. And so I clicked on the article, which I had saved on my bookmarks on safari, a couple of times a week. Saturday the 4 my husband and I were at a dinner party at the house of some of his best friends, who have children and they were involved in the dinner. Attending dinner parties with children is still very new to me, I’d never done that until I met my husband, and I sometimes find myself needing to leave and just breathe because it’s just difficult for me. That’s a whole other issue and I’m spinning away from the matter, but the point is that late on the evening 4 of July I was at this dinner party, I went to the bathroom, sat on the bathroom floor actually just breathing and reminding myself that I love my husband and of life choices I’ve made, and I clicked on this article to read some of the comments of other people that had written about how hard they found it to be with someone who had children, and was chocked to find the whole thing replaced, new author and all the comments gone. That was the 4 of July, and I know I had visited the original article a day or two ago 100%, so it was absolutely published either that day, or the 3 or possibly 2 this month. No sooner than that.

Sorry for tmi. Just pointing out that I am well aware of when it was published :-)

I find the whole deal with selling and buying the writes to articles and accounts quite fascinating and a little disturbing. I wonder how many are doing this, and probably on other sites as well, without disclosing at all that that was the case.

I used to find it disturbing too until I realized that this is what many writers do all the time, for a long time. Freelance writers do it all the time and  don't get credit, they just get a flat payment for a piece. I did it on a low level for Blogmutt (which is called something else now), which paid not much but some freelancers get paid well for what they do. People can sell their Hubpages accounts for a good sum of money, and if you need it I'm sure it comes in handy.

1. OnlyJ profile image60

I guess so. I didn’t even consider freelancing actually, but you’re right, that does occur. I’m going to have to wrap my head around this for sure :-P

7. OnlyJ profile image60
      OnlyJposted 3 years ago

I am well aware that I’m probably caring about this way more than I should. At first I was just really annoyed because I was sure it was plagiarism, and that is just always wrong, and I feel like people should “do the right thing” and care when something clearly isn’t right, not just when it affects oneself. Now I’m more just intrigued by the concept of content being sold between authors without that being disclosed. To me that’s like if someone makes a cover of a song; you are allowed to do so with the consent of the original song artist, and you can surely pay for that consent, and after the death of a music artist there is a certain amount of time after which the musical content becomes free for everyone to use. But you still have to disclose it I think. Or maybe you don’t but people always know when it’s wide spread enough. It’s just intriguing; it somehow just feels wrong to take credit for someone else’s work, but at the same time if people didn’t, some songs, texts etc. my eventually fade away and people wouldn’t have access to them at all anymore.

8. OnlyJ profile image60
      OnlyJposted 3 years ago

Thanks to everyone who cleared up for me what has happened here - the article must have been sold between hubbers. Also for helping me with how I might go about reporting an article if needed in the future - there were no grey flag on my screen and I now know why.

I ended up not reporting this particular article. Most likely it has been sold by the original author, since it’s not a duplicate but a replaced article. Why on earth one would want to put their name on something they didn’t actually write is still beyond me, but it’s not plagiarism and therefor not something that should be reported as such.

Thank you everyone who responded!

9. Eric Caunca profile image96
      Eric Cauncaposted 3 years ago

Can I report copyright photos or just the whole plagiarized article? Can I report an article copied  from another website?

Are you talking about an article of yours that has been copied?

Or have you found one on HubPages?

If it is the first, you will need to submit a DMCA notice to the web host. Failing that, you can request that Google remove it from their search results.

If someone has stolen your photos, you can do the DMCA procedure just for them.

If you have found one on HubPages that you know has been copied from elsewhere, use the flag symbol on the left of the hub to report it. There's an option for ticking the copied box and you can paste in the other url as proof.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)