O.K I'm Ready For a Reality Check! How Are My Hubs Really??

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    markbennisposted 14 years ago

I'm new to hubpages and writing, also i have only done 3 hubs in nearly 2 months.  Most of my time i have been trying to get my head around all the affiliated stuff, plus promoting, signing up here and there.  I'm very glad to have found hubpages or as i believe, hubpages found me.  I really admire the writers here on hubpages and really would like a reality check from you.  I would like to think i could make it but now i think it would be, a good idea if i got some advice from the professionals.
    many thanks, mark bennis

1. warchild75 profile image62
      warchild75posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Always good to see another brit on here, i liked your 2 afghan hubs and it seems like you have a lot to say on the subject of soldiers and war,maybe you should use your expeirence to write some more hubs related to the topics you know most about as your knowlege will naturally shine through,also maybe try and brake up the long paragraphs with a video or photos just to keep people like me with a short attention span interested,other than that they were all good. smile

1. profile image0
        markbennisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks warchild75 for your reply, I'm glad you liked the Afghan Hubs.  Yes i guess you are right the paragraphs are a bit 'meaty', i will go back and edit those hubs a bit, spread the photos around a little and add some video's.  Thanks for the feed back it is very much appreciated.
        Thankyou...

2. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

Hi Mark, your 2012 Hub is really interesting and has great info.  Maybe it could be a bit longer and a picture or two would have been great?  Also check your capital letters at the beginning of sentences.

Patience is everything when you start at HubPages, Just keep writing and enjoying yourself, as I am sure that you will be a big success!

1. profile image0

Thanks CMHypno, i very much appreciate the advise.  The structure of the Hub seems to be a factor here, placement of photos length of details.  Also taking the time to evaluate your Hub before publishing, as i know i'm in to much of a hurry to get it out there.  Your right i should keep writing and most of all enjoy myself.  Thankyou so much i really am taking all the advice on board and appreciate all the help i'm receiving here, thankyou so much...

2. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto Mark.  You're on the right track, if you're accepting advice from another new hubber (3 mo.)

1. profile image0

At my early stages here I will gladly accept all the advice I can get.  I have to admit I'm just beginning to understand how hard you hubbers work and the level of commitment involved.  I had stumbled upon this site accidentally  and i thought? I will have ago...And in doing so i have well?.. I can say for sure I'm hooked!!  Plus i would like to do well at it.

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey Mark,

Just to let you know, while you are in the extreme hub makeover section of the forum....you can POST your links that you want reviewed or critiqued.

I'm posting them for you. It's always easier if you post your link to the Hub you want reviewed. But, since you are new here and have only 3 hubs it's not too difficult to figure out.

http://hubpages.com/hub/2012-what-will-really-happen
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Through-the-Eye … 006-Part-2
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Through-the-Eye … istan-2006

I'll check them out and get back to you. smile

1. profile image0

Ah that was very kind of you Cagsil, i really didn't think of doing that.. Cool thankyou..

4. Cagsil profile image71

http://hubpages.com/hub/2012-what-will-really-happen

The above hub is too short. Plus, you can utilize at least one or two more capsules for your text. This allows for more ads for clicking.

There seems like you're not directing your reader to anything?

Like an amazon or ebay, no video, no poll, no extras to add content to the hub.

1. profile image0

Yes i now see your point great advice.  This was my first hub and i really didn't know what i was doing, still trying figure out all adsen and stuff.  I'm certainly going to go back and revamp my hub on your advice, i need to pay more attention to these details, thankyou Cagsil.

5. Cagsil profile image71

http://hubpages.com/hub/Through-the-Eye … 006-Part-2

The above hub is good length. However, use multiple capsules and shorten your paragraphs to like 4-5 lines each. You can setup however you want.

The attention span of your reader will get lost in too big of paragraphs, which leads to them being bored with your hub. They most likely won't finish reading it.

Again, you also have no extras, like feeds content which automatically changes. The freshness of your content plays a factor.

1. profile image0

Ah yes the paragraphs, this point seems to be a common factor i certainly will be refining them thanks.  The feeds? I haven't really got my head around them yet, but i will look into them straight away.  I really do appreciate all your efforts here Cagsil, i cant believe how helpful and friendly everyone has been here, i have allot of respect and admiration for all you guys, thankyou...

6. Cagsil profile image71

http://hubpages.com/hub/Through-the-Eye … istan-2006

This one you put more pictures into, but again you would be better off using more capsules. Then you can put more pictures along side, without messing up the placement of ads on your hub.

I hope I helped. smile

1. profile image0

Yes you are right Cagsil.. I will go back and experiment with the capsules placement, i have certainly allot to learn and have picked up some great advice here, thankyou ever so much.
      Regards mark bennis

7. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Hello Mark,

I am by no means a professional hubber, but nevertheless would like to comment.

Your two Afghanistan hubs are very good. I was interested to read them because my partner was in the TA, a Major in the RAMC, although he was too old to see any action before he retired.

BTW, I am absolutely horrified to learn that you were invited to volunteer to risk your life for £35/day!

However, I do have a couple of criticisms. Firstly, I think some of your text capsules are too long. You could do with using more capsules to break the text into a larger number of sections with subheading. You could also put in a couple of picture capsules or Amazon capsules (potential earnings!) between text capsules to break up the text.

Secondly, a lot of your writing reads like stream of consciousness, with long run-on sentences. I suggest you do some editing on that. Also, you need to check spelling and grammar. You have a number of errors that spellcheck won't pick up, for example, there when it should be their, poor when it should be pour. In the first Afghanistan hub, you keep writing i instead of I. Perhaps this sounds like I'm nit-picking, but things like this will cause some people to stop reading. Also, I was able to ask my partner what "bergan" means, but other readers will be left puzzled.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way. If you want any assistance with editing matters, feel free to contact me at tehuti at gmail.com. I do have experience in editing original texts and translations.

1. profile image0

Hello WriteAngled, thankyou for your in depth analysis I have noted all the points you have raised here.  My grammar is a problem and i can definitely see your point thankyou for raising them, I will pay more attention to detail as i know it will only in-rich future Hubs.  There are allot of good points here and i certainly will go back and work on all of them.  Thankyou for the offer on your editorial and translating experience, I would appreciate that thankyou.  Oh and my little grumble of the £35 matter, yes its true but i guess if i was their a bit longer at that time, also done a few courses i would of got a little bit more.
      Wow!! I have really learnt so much from everyone here, thankyou all very much.. Your all a true Hubpages friend and a beginners dream mentor, I think you know what I mean.
      Many thanks mark bennis..

8. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Mark,

What is your purpose?

Are you most interested in writing to a readership for the joy of it, getting the most possible earnings ..or some kind of happy medium?

It makes a difference as far as the direction a critique would take as sometimes those two purposes can have conflicting methods.

For example, your 2012 hub has an almost perfect layout for optimizing for adsense earnings but Cags' points are valid for readability concerns

1. profile image0

To be honest Sunforged, I'm not to sure as I'm still discovering myself well I'm a beginner here and there's no doubt about that.  I would like to think i could achieve a comfortable writing stage but that will take time.  Now i would say making the most amount of money would be a good start but i guess, good writing skills and commercial hubs go hand in hand..  If i can grab the basics of both i think that may well be a  good start in the right direction.

9. WriteAngled profile image75

Incidentally, Mark, perhaps I should make it clear that when I offered help with editing if you wanted any, I wasn't touting for paid work. It was just a friendly gesture from one UK hubber to another smile

1. profile image0

I appreciate your gesture and i didn't think for one moment you were touting, i am sure i will take up your friendly offer with my future hubs.
      Thankyou WriteAngled.

10. WriteAngled profile image75

You are already doing well, Mark. You have good hubs and a fantastic personal hubscore. smile

1. profile image0

Thankyou WriteAgled I really do appreciate your help and your honesty.  Can i say I respect your experience that you have achieved  in your career, also i am very interested also in Egyptology and Sumerian history.  Plus the religious aspects of these great civilizations.  Plus i love Wales, and have traveled many a mile up and around Pen Y Fan of the Brecon Beacons and other locations their.  I hope in the good spirit of things that we are o.k.
      Regards mark bennis

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)