Blocking?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. TechnoSchnauzer profile image60
    TechnoSchnauzerposted 3 years ago

I'm not sure how this would be taken as I am new to the site and unsure about the community's feelings, so I'll go into a bit of an explanation.

I'm queer and have some mental disorders, so generally, whenever I see people spreading things against queer people, I block them just for the sake of my own well-being. I've not been able to find a way to block writers from appearing when browsing - if I missed it, I apologize! - but I have seen content that made me very anxious.

I want to practice and improve my writing and know that interacting with the community would be important to achieve this. Doing some more in-depth "tailoring" of the content I see would be very useful, so I could avoid situations that could result in panic attacks.

Of course, I understand the likelihood of me being the only person who'd benefit from or support such a function isn't that small. Still, I'm hoping that this will be considered for implementation.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I've asked for a block feature to be added to Hubpages for at least 5 years. It is completely and utterly ignored. I have absolutely no idea why the power-that-be don't want to put it in, but obviously there's something in it for them.

There isn't a site on the web that doesn't have a blocking feature. This is the only one I have ever been on that doesn't have one.

2. Arthur Targe profile image66
      Arthur Targeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi!  I am new on here and can't help too much with HP, but Vocal might be good for you to have a look at there is no function for direct comments/messaging.

Take care, Art.

2. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 3 years ago

Blatant hate speech is banned from HubPages, as it should be.

However, I sense you are referring to subtler put downs and hurtful comments. I don't know of any way in which these can be filtered out. It calls for an algorithm that can make subjective judgements and I don't think the technology available today can do that.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful.

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

If it seems reasonable to agree with Rupert Taylor, then one should be careful to watch his or her guide. A slip is enough to be banned in the forum.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image93
    Kenna McHughposted 3 years ago

I don't see any articles from you and you haven't been with HP for more than 24 hours. I assume this is non-sequitur.

TechnoSchnauzerposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I have articles I'm currently writing, but if I can start to feel like I'm going to have a panic attack within the first 24 hours and I'm not able to find a good way to prevent that, then it's best I find another place that will be a healthier place for me.
      Just following therapists' suggestions.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

I'm on a lot of sites. One thing I do when I see people who are at odds with my atheist, progressive views is block them immediately. I just don't even want them to read what I have to say. It's just too much stress. So I can understand where she is coming from.

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 3 years ago

Comments on articles are disabled at the moment, but they are supposedly coming back. When you publish on here, you are putting your work into the public domain. While it's right to be concerned about hate speech, which is banned by HP, you may also encounter forthright views that oppose your own that have the potential to be upsetting, even if they don't constitute hate speech. I've learned to develop a thick skin, I've been called stupid, dumb, idiot, etc. in the comments over the years. You may be better off posting in a place where you have more control who is reading and commenting. There really is no guarantee of a friendly public audience here, sometimes it's the opposite.

Yeah, I can handle most things but I've had to learn to accept the fact that I can't thick skin away my disorder.
      I love the fact everything goes into the public domain and generally enjoy debate and such, but as certain topics can trigger my anxiety and result in detriment to my physical health I am going to try and find another place.

If I can't do that I'll probably just go about posting and not following/browsing anything, maybe with an exception to the animal topics.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Also, I don't know what you are planning to write, but this site is mainly about magazine-style articles. Some people do write things that are more blog style, or they do short stories, poetry etc. but I would say that there are other sites that are better suited for that.

5. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 3 years ago

Negatively critizing a persons work if it can bring out the best in them is an excellent thing.                                     Likewise, not every positive comments will make your article feature. For instance, few months ago in 2020, many sub-standard articles full of grammatical errors and English structures flood hubpages. Of those I deal with, one or two pass the boot stage and had their articles featured. The others? Gone with the wind! I think these don't like my critisism.

I'm an artist so I defiantly understand the importance of criticism! One of the reasons I'm interested in this is so I can get criticism on my writing. Hoping I can avoid getting 'criticized' on my mere existence, happens more than I'd like to admit.

You're welcome.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

I don't believe in criticism at all. I have generally found it is imposed by people who want to feel superior to others, or who have a vested interest in belittling and destroying the other person.

There may be certain element of truth in that.                                         In perfecting the electric lamp Mr. Edison was critized over 1,000 times before he arrived. Criticism serves as inspiration to his mind.

I'd be really curious as to why Edison was counting how many times he was criticized.

You do know that he didn't invent the light bulb - that it was invented a century earlier- 1761 to be precise. What he did was hire engineers and inventors to walk on things that he thought could use improvement.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 … ons-genius

Hello, the link is very interesting read and keep me spell-bound.                                    One thing I can agree to is that the "munchkins" were paid well for all the toll they make. The credit then goes to Edison,as much as the "fused" car cylinder goes to Henry Ford.                                Forget about Randoll Stross's story? Any person who raise funds to invest in an invention should take the credit. Much thanks.

We have very different values, obviously.

My point was simply that criticism is not helpful to anyone. The people who tell you that are the ones who like criticizing others.

Tess, I'm not in a position to critized other writers if they cannot derived any merit from the criticism.                                    Seriously, constructively critizing others is a good thing and should be welcome. Hope I'm very clear now. Much thanks again.

I honestly don't believe there is such a thing as constructive criticism. There is something called passing on useful information impartially. I suppose, though, I have completely and utterly ignored any 'criticism' I have ever received from other writers because I've been published (at this point) for 60 years, and throughout that time, have had editors, a world famous writer or two, etc. tell me I'm an incredible writer.

I was published from about the age of 10, and probably for 15 years, none of my writing was ever rejected from a print publication. The three times it was rejected, the first one the editor phone me to say that the writing was of such incredible quality that she had to phone me because the only reason she was rejecting it was because there were too many stories like it.
                  The second was was from a leading publishing house in London that said they circulated my story for 6 months to their full stable of magazines, but the topic matter wasn't quite right. They thought it a fantastic story. The third time was a leading sci fi magazine in the UK who invited me to write for them but they couldn't accept story because it was fantasy not sci fi.

In the days when I entered competitions, I won often.

Let me tell you about constructive criticism from other writers. I told one guy in London that I didn't want to be part of a writing group because they people who belonged to writing groups didn't know how to write.

He asked me to send him a piece. I did so againts my better judgement. The piece had been published and won first place in a competition. The guy sent the story back to me completely trashed. He changed everything from the names to the narrative. Why? Spite.

I accept advice on SEO, style (every magazine has its own style rules), etc. And, yes, I will generally accept everything an editor tells me (they make the payments), unless they want to rewrite the piece to mean something I didn't intend.

Of course, everything can be improved, but I'm not looking for perfection - merely to write to a publishable standard, and that, to me, is acceptable.

I can also give you a 100% guarantee that what I have written here will cause offence to some. No idea why except they perceive I think too much of myself. smile

Criticism? No. Constructive criticism? Doesn't exist.

6. GwennyOh profile image92
    GwennyOhposted 3 years ago

You won't see that here, and if it ever would rear its head it would be fleeting. I believe that everyone is queer on some level but in denial. Lol. Yesterday I made a comment that could be misconstrued and I knew that. However, it was as close to the truth as I needed to get to convey a point.

My example: I was responding to a man who called his wife 'he.' I pointed out how odd it was, not that his wife is he, but that he identifies his wife as female, and still he wrote 'he.' Life is like this, full of ambiguousness.

I try to look at things backwards when they start to bother me. For example, some say racist things, which is a big no-no for me. I wonder instead, why they feel so much lesser than those who they put down, to insult as they do. It takes me in a different direction until it no longer matters.

I'm laughing loud.

1. GwennyOh profile image92
        GwennyOhposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Lol, Miebakagh57! Sometimes the way you laugh at things makes me laugh too. Thank you!

7. GwennyOh profile image92
    GwennyOhposted 3 years ago

More to the point than what I said before though, where people publically comingle there should always be blocking, imho.

8. Brenda Arledge profile image79
    Brenda Arledgeposted 3 years ago

Isn't there a way of having comments submitted to you for preview before posting them underneath your work?
    This might be a solution.

Yes, but that's not blocking means. Blocking means that the person one blocks cannot see one's work anywhere. And one cannot see theirs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)