Maven is now The Arena Group

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (55 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 2 years ago

Did you get the email? I guess we can abbreviate it as TAG, which I like much better. TAG! You're it!

TAG's a group because there are now three arenas: sports, finance and lifestyle. ToughNickle falls into finance, and HowTheyPlay is under sports. The other niches are under lifestyle. I hope it pays off!

1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
      Miebakagh57posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great!

Kenna McHughposted 2 years agoin reply to this

What's great about it?

The bottomline of your summation. Thanks.

2. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have four articles in ToughNickel. I'll have to keep a watch on them to see if they perform any differently than they have been.

3. OldRoses profile image95
      OldRosesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

This is just a desperate effort to rebrand and save a failing business.

Failing? Are they trying to compete with Google? Improve?

1. OldRoses profile image95

Maven was a penny stock.  Penny stocks are stocks of companies that are nearly worthless.  Failing companies often try rebranding as a way of breathing new life into their companies.  It rarely works.

I agree. That's scary for us.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
            PaulGoodman67posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Companies rebrand for a variety of reasons, but when it's accompanied by a 40 million injection of capital, it's usually a positive.

As I understand it, the absolute value of a share often doesn't matter as much as whether the value is increasing or diminishing. I haven't been following it closely, but it looks like the development has been treated positively by the market when I looked?

While the article does present a positive spin, I see no reason to doubt the key information.

4. EricFarmer8x profile image92
      EricFarmer8xposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have been so busy recently writing for my own blog and website I have not checked HubPages in a while.

These changes are interesting, but for now, I just will wait and see what happens.

Either way, my plan for HubPages remains the same. I plan on using it as a part of my growing online writing portfolio.

Same here, but is it effective?

Same here too. Only yesterday, I checked my mail box and saw hubpages email on the  Arena Group.                                         Thank goodness, we should be  watching developments.

2. EricFarmer8x profile image92
          EricFarmer8xposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The earnings I make every month are pretty small. I make payout about every three months. But I am happy for it so I would miss it if that was gone.

I also hope to write enough to get enough views to get paid every month eventually.

You write about gaming, so that should generate you some revenue. Just keep at it, and you'll hit monthly payouts.

5. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm just interested in seeing the results of these changes. Obviously they were done to improve things, will be interested to see if changes affect traffic and income. It makes sense to me to that the site(s) should be re-organized, put into a simpler structure, so I get the logic of the change.

Those changes and improvements seems to be common trends after every two years?                                                I believe web masters are being current with Google updates to keep they webpages alife online. A dead site will lost visitors.

2. bhattuc profile image83
    bhattucposted 2 years ago

Will it be a better situation for the authors, any Idea?

It might be better for those who have articles in ToughNickle and HowTheyPlay. It seems to separate them from the rest a bit. What do you think?

I think same as you.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69

It might be. I think it would mean hard and smart work. Generalizations will be thrown out of the window. Go specific.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image61
    TessSchlesingerposted 2 years ago

I think that it's good to take a thorough look at what is happening.

That I agree.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image92

I agree. If it works and we make more $$, all the merrier.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

(shrug) Good for them, i guess.

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

I really don't think that the business-speak in the email is particularly useful. A phrase like "scalable media verticals" means nothing to the average reader. The only reason I have any idea what they're trying to do is from reading/watching other sources previously.

What they're describing was always the general intended direction with the Maven thing, as far as I'm aware, so no big surprises. I thought it would happen quicker, but I suppose there was more to sort out than I guessed.

I welcome the change. The publishing world is unpredictable, so whatever a business does is a risk, but they have chosen their path to advance and I hope it works out.

'A pharase like "scalable media vehicles" means nothing to the average reader.' Nor do I think it means much to a well educated Englishman as  I'm made to understand in my English.                                      Seriously, marven, now 'arena" is on high horse, like any other progressive media vehicle. Good for them,  hubpages, and us.

The idea is to get advertisers. Marketing folks use words like this to attract them.

It appears unpredictable, but things just don't happen. They are planned. It's making sure the plan works.

6. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

Why are they buying up so many websites? Just so they can be sold of at a profit?

I missed that part. Where did you hear they are buying up so many websites?

1. eugbug profile image96
        eugbugposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It wasn't in the email, but every time I look at financial news reports about Maven, they seem to have acquired a new online company,
        There's a recent article on Forbes here:
        https://www.forbes.com/sites/andymeek/2 … 3bdd6a7d55

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95

I'm not a business expert, most of my knowledge comes from books and watching Dragon's Den, but I believe that there are both commercial and technological advantages in what they're doing.

Rather than there being, say, a sports site here and a sports site there, they're drawing a number together under one "sports umbrella". They've got three of those. It's not necessarily an uncommon strategy in the business world, especially tech, although I think it might be new for tech publishing company.

I think it's also part of the concept of "scalability", although the email doesn't explain it well for non-business people, like me and presumably you.

Buying more websites is also probably one of the reasons why they've accumulated an extra 40 million in capital? If they're attracting more capital to do it, that's a good thing.

That's my take anyway. It's based in part on watching interviews with people like Paul E on his ideas on YouTube in the past.

1. eugbug profile image96
            eugbugposted 2 years agoin reply to this

A figure of $142 milion dollars revenue was mentioned too. Maybe all these sports sites will be merged in the future?

I don't know, but I very much doubt it.

It's more like being the Murdoch corporation owning multiple newspapers, they cover different parts of the market by owning, say, both The Sun and The Times. It wouldn't make sense to merge them. That would be defying the reason they own them.

Sports Illustrated and How They Play will likely serve different parts of market, but there are still advantages in owning both.

That's how I understand it.

I think they're trying to take elements of the traditional publishing model, how the companies that own big newspaper, books, magazines worked and structured themselves, and combining it with contemporary tech ideas to create a new model.

That's maybe an oversimplification, but it's what I glean, rightly or wrongly.

It should also be remembered that one of the main general aims of a large-scale business is market domination.

Makes some sense. Thank you.

But, do you think it benefits HubPages?

Using the word "scalability" is a marketing ploy. The key is the revenue that is being invested. It puts a future there for the company. An article from the NY Times headline says "Sports Are the Internet's Secret Key" dated March 2021. I don't subscribe so I couldn't read the whole thing.

Interesting. Here is one I found from the same journalist:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andymeek/2 … 6f3a2220f3

Interesting likewise.

Facebook did it. Marven  I think under Google still doing it. What motivate the profit?

7. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 2 years ago

The site looks impressive.
    The Arena Group

Nice Youtube video
    Introducing The Arena Group

Quote from The Arena Group fast facts
    "Across all verticals, The Arena Group says it’s grown digital subscribers by 18% over the last 12 months. And on a trailing 12-month basis, the company has generated more than $142 million in revenue through June 30. That’s up 53.7% compared to the same period through June 30, 2020."

So how come my income, as a content creator, has gone down by 300% to less than a dollar a day? Who says that capitalism is not based on slavery?

Your income is down by 300%! That's atrocious! It looks like the money is from Sports Illustration and The Street. The article doesn't mention HubPages. I wonder why?

1. Sue Adams profile image96
        Sue Adamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

HubPages only appears on the image in the article but even there, visually, it looks like cinderella trailing behind her two sisters.

https://hubstatic.com/15728340_f1024.jpg

The grey disk behind the HP logo is out of sink with the red-white-black color scheme and the lettering looks insignificant. Could the logo get a facelift perhaps by enlarging the font as follows?

https://hubstatic.com/15728346_f1024.jpg

I like the modify logo of Hubpages you suggest. It looks eye catching.

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for links. I like that they are inclusive of HP in the scheme of things.

I agree. It's good to see HP aligned with SI.

3. OldRoses profile image95

Revenue is gross income.  The more important number which they don't mention is the profit after expenses.  So revenue of $142 million is meaningless if their expenses are more than that.  It is possible to have millions of dollars in revenue and not be profitable.

True. For us, it's the revenues we earn that matter. Of late, they're down.

1. hclpd profile image93
          hclpdposted 2 years agoin reply to this

So is the traffic. I've lost more than 30% of my traffic in the last 2 months.

You're not the exception. Every one is affect. Even income slide down.

8. Revirio profile image45
    Revirioposted 2 years ago

It's a good time that we ponder how to link the Nobel Prize of Literature with the Arena Group.

Behind the scenes of the Nobel Prize in Literature ~ YouTube

9. Rachelle Williams profile image92
    Rachelle Williamsposted 2 years ago

Chhhhhiiild please.... so many changes - I've been here for more than 10 years at this point, I've always made payout, but I'm gonna pour more effort into my own assets - blog, YouTube channel, social media, etc.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)