One dollar for water

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Lincoln Armstrong profile image61
    Lincoln Armstrongposted 16 years ago

Yep.  You read that right.  One DOLLAR for a plastic cup of water.  Official reason:  "The cups are expensive." 

I'd write a hub about it but I'm too depressed.  Now this isn't super-water.  It's not bottled.  It has no expensive logo.  It isn't advertised during the Super Bowl. 

This is plain old wah-tur.  You can make it condense out of thin air for free if you passed the science class where you build a terarium.  It falls out of the sky occasionally.  Why, there's oceans of it right next to most of the world's beaches. 

But here, in the galactic center of capitalism, where they charge $1.80 for a single (bland, stale, long on cookie, short on chips) chocolate chip cookie, I suppose it looks good on a spreadsheet if you can push those golden 12 ounce cups filled with free through the supply chain.  You might even get interviewed on CNBC if you wear a tie and can use the word "paradigm" in a sentence incorrectly.

Capitalism is one thing.  This is hostile.  I guess standing behind a cash register makes people think they're official and corporate.  Well, that or the name tag.

Sigh.  neutral

2. darkside profile image67
    darksideposted 16 years ago

Who's selling these $1 cups of water?

3. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

And who is buying $1 cups of water?

1. TommyGuy profile image60
      TommyGuyposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha!!! Now, that's the right question.

In my place,

local restaurants : plain water costs 0.20cents if you don't buy anything else or free if you buy (say a plate of rice). Add another 0.20cents if you want to add ice cubes

Fast food chains (McD, KFC, Kenney Rogers etc) : Free of Charge (But if you don't buy anything, you will have to suffer the sarcastic staring from the teenage kids behind the counter. Well.

Hotels : (where plain water is in the menu as "sky juice") about RM1 I guess. But mostly, I see there are free flow of plain wate especially if they have buffet type lunch or dinner.

(The exchange rate is USD1=RM3.80)

So, I guess i should say... THANK GOD I AM MALAYSIAN!!!! (At least I do not have to fork out RM3.80, the price I pay for one complete meal, for a glass of sky juice:) )

4. Lincoln Armstrong profile image61
    Lincoln Armstrongposted 16 years ago

A coffee shop which probably opened for the specific purpose of being purchased by the Starbucks two stores away in a mall is selling cups of water (8 ounces, not 12 apparently), for $1.00.  That's one crisp, green dollar for a cup of water which, if placed outdoors at this very moment would evaporate in roughly four minutes.

Who is buying them?  Not this little gray duck.  The person in front of me bought a cookie about the size of a business card for $.99 which was carefully placed in a small bag with a very nice corporate logo on it.  They even got a receipt.   I conducted no business other than to confirm (twice) that they were going to charge $1 for a cup of water. 

Five yards away, there is a snack bar type place with a self-serve drink bar with, yep, you guessed it. 

Water.   Right between the root beer and the orange soda. 

So I'm sort of basking in the warm glow of irony as I observe the state of capitalism on this day-before-summer evening.   How is everyone else?   

smile

5. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 16 years ago

Ridiculous. I could imagine charging a nickel to recoup their costs (and then some) but a buck?

Their coffee would have to be pretty damn tasty to overcome expensive cups of water and microscopic cookies.

In the Netherlands, drinking fountains basically don't exist, and no one says (the Dutch equivalent of) bottled water. You ask for "Spa Blauw" (still water) or "Spa Rood" (bubbly), and you pay about $1.50 for it. Your alternative? Dehydration, or twisting your head to drink from a sink (something the frugal Dutch have mastered). big_smile

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I worked at a local bakery for awhile... I was supposed to charge a quarter for a cup of water...  Did I?  Not once.

I actually ended up quitting because of how stingy the new owners were.  I grew up in the neighborhood... and it used to be a nice family-type store.  Got bought a couple years back and turned profit-profit-profit all the way.  Then they installed video surveillance (in a neighborhood bakery? puh-lease!)... and I was OUT.

Lincoln Armstrongposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yeah you never know when someone might snag some extra chocolate sprinkles on their donut. 

mmmm... donuts....

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
          Maddie Ruudposted 16 years agoin reply to this

In fact, they didn't bake donuts.  Everything but... including, of all things... quiche.  Wtf, right?

Lincoln Armstrongposted 16 years agoin reply to this

No donuts?   

neutral neutral neutral neutral neutral neutral neutral neutral

The committee is not amused.

6. Sindicut profile image58
    Sindicutposted 16 years ago

The Starbucks right next to it is selling their stuff for even higher prices...

7. thefluffanutta profile image58
    thefluffanuttaposted 16 years ago

In England, it is illegal for any licensed establishment to charge for serving ordinary water to a customer. So you can walk into a pub, ask for a glass of water (not bottled, from the tap), and walk away without paying. Of course, some places will be hard to convince of this, and will claim the cost is to cover the glass it's in. Or they will say that they can't for health and safety reasons, or it simply "doesn't taste nice".

Here's an interesting and semi-authorative article on the subject from the Guardian, from which comes this (edited) quote:

thefluffanutta

8. profile image51
    Emilfposted 16 years ago

Profit is great.

Business (big or small) and the entrepreneurial spirit have allowed us to have such a high standard of living.  In fact, business is at work in hubpages too! Without people clicking on the ads, without advertisers bidding on keywords, without consumers buying we wouldn't be here and we wouldn't enjoy what we do today.

A business can't forcibly make you buy their product. They have to offer something, you as the consumer then decide if what they offer has enough value to justify the price.

Obviously in your case the $1.00 for water was not worth it. So you passed on the offer. You exercised your right as a consumer! If enough people do it they just might change the policy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)