Please help the inept!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)
  1. akeejaho profile image62
    akeejahoposted 14 years ago

So, here is the deal.  I have been witing and publishing for two years now on Hubpages, and have not earned one red cent.  Why?  I haven't a clue! Why?  Because this individual is about as comfortable on a computer as I am standing nude on the front lawn. (Despite what you have heard.)

So, how do I go about getting my account to work?  What have I done wrong and how do I repair my google account so I can collect anything I have earned to date. Please answer baring in mind that I believe URL is an acronym for Under Righters Labratory. (I know that is with a w, as in writers, but what do you want at the last moment?) Anyway, please help!  Blind guy walking without a cane here!

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Have you even setup a Google adsense account?

Do you have an affiliate code entered in your "affiliate" section, under adsense?

If so, then log into your account and find out what you have earned. You can do that by clicking on the link at the end of the line...Google adsense affiliate code is on, in your affiliate section.

You will need the password to get into, which you should have received a confirmation link in your email, that you should have clicked on to make your adsense account active.

If you never did that, then you never earned anything from adsense.

So, I'm not sure what your present status is with google. Remember, google ads still get placed on your hubs, but the payout for clicks would go to hubpages, if your affiliate code isn't entered.

I hope I helped. smile

3. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Apart from making sure your account is working, I can see a problem with making money on your hubs.
    The two I just read were well written and interesting enough, but the subjects you chose to write about were not very commercial.
    Good writing attracts readers, but you need the right ads on your page too.
    To attract money you need to write some hubs about products or ideas that are related to markets. smile
    I hope I have helped too.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And you can click to "Stats" button between edit and delete buttons at the top of your hub. It will show several buttons further.

Click to hub metrics that will so you revenue potential with signs of $. It is ranked between one to five. Five $ sign has the best revenue potential and single $ sign shows the lowest. Perhaps this will help you in understanding revenue game.

Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

4. akeejaho profile image62

Well, you both have helped in a way.  My first reply gives me a place to start anyway, though most of it was greek to me.  And the second one I fully understand, and perhaps I have found the wrong venue.  (Though pay or not, I would continue writing here for those who do follow me for what ever reason they may have.)

1. LRobbins profile image43
      LRobbinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I feel your pain.  Many of the topics I like to write about are not high paying but I found with some slight adjustments, they can make me a little money, for example, I wrote a hub about sharks and advetisers will only pay .08 per click for "hammerhead shark facts" so by the time Google and HubPages takes their share, I'm making ~.02 per click, but advertisers will pay $1.10 for the key word "shark conservation" so I'm getting a bigger cut here.  Of course this hub is never going to be a big money maker but I guess that's the trade off for writing about what you love.  The other strategy I've found that works is to combine several key words such as "shark conservation" so that when the key words are combined I'm getting more bang for my buck.  Good luck!

5. akeejaho profile image62

And as a post script, I must say that although I am acustomed to being paid as a writer on various levels, I am not up-set in anyway with Hubpages becaue it is a great comunity, and I am thankful for my fans here.  Just thought I would try to get this to work for me as some possible income while building our new home, in Oregon.

6. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Cheech, I wrote a Hub on HubPages tips which might help - it was written for Bard of Ely, specifically to help him "tweak" his Hubs.

Here's the instructions for getting set up with Google Adsense, just in case you didn't do it:

http://hubpages.com/help/googleadsense

HubPages doesn't pay us anything - you get all your earnings direct from Adsense, Amazon and eBay if you signed up for them.  So if you didn't sign up properly and paste in your ID, you'll have earned zilch.

7. tobey100 profile image59
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Sorry, can't help.  After a grand total of 4 months I've earned the incredible sum of zippo.

1. profile image0
      WildIrisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are not alone in earning ZERO.  Talking to Google AdSense about problems with an account also amounts to a ZERO.

1. tobey100 profile image59
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

and, I was dropped from adsense for some reason I've yet to determine.  The only thing I can get out of them is that my 'site' is a danger to the system.  I thought my 'site' was hubpages???  Are we a danger?  Screw 'em.  I still like to hub.......

8. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 14 years ago

Looks like your AdSense account is not associated with your HubPages account.  Try this:

1. Log into your AdSense account.
    2. Click on the 'My Account' tab
    3. Click 'Account Access'
    4. Click the 'Grant Access' link next to http://hubpages.com

Within 24 hours, your status should change to “Active” on HubPages.

1. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If it was that simple then...OUCH!

9. myownworld profile image71
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

I just wish you hadn't let two years slip by before starting this thread...! sad

1. Faybe Bay profile image65
      Faybe Bayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Help, I received a letter from google and tried to follow steps.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Faybe Bay: It looks like you've correctly associated your AdSense account with HubPages.

okay they want me to add some sort of crawler?

1. waynet profile image67
            waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

crawler...not a spider I hope? they give me the heeby jeebies!

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
            Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You don't need to add any code to your Hubs.  Once you've correctly inputted your AdSense ID (which you have), HubPages automatically places it in the code for you.

2. myownworld profile image71
          myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile it's a mine field here Maddie! You really are doing a fantastic job, demanding as it is! cheers!

my son explained crawler, sort of bu I don't know if it's allowed.

1. myownworld profile image71
              myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could help you with this..but if you scroll up, there's some great advice on following the basic steps. Plus, Maddie has confirmed that your account seems correctly associated with HP. Don't worry....hopefully, the creepy crawler would go away! wink

10. thisisoli profile image77
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Try messing arround with Amazon for products/books related to your hubs.

You might want to try writing a few commercial ones to see how they go too, it is entirely up to you though!

I would not give up on Hubpages though, it is a great writing venue for all styles, and if your style wont make money here, it probably wont make much anywhere else either!

At least Hubpages brings a great community to the table, with easy advert integration so you can keep trying.

Just out of interest, what traffic levels are you seeing?

The problem might not be your content per say, it could be just that no one in google is getting to see it!

In which case, try SE, Backlinking etc.

11. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image60
    JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years ago

These are nice advise for newbies especially from Maddi. Hubpages staff are co-operative.

Thanks,
    Jyoti Kothari

12. akeejaho profile image62

I thank all of you for jumping to my aid.  I am still working on the situation, and if I can get it all together, I will be very appreciative, and pretty damn delighted!  If not, oh well.

I still love writing here!

So, thanks again for the help!

1. thisisoli profile image77
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good Luck smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)