So...if some people have multiple accounts....

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 14 years ago

...do they "follow" themselves (lol!) and post fan mail to their own profiles?

Just got to wondering after a comment by someone in the forums here.

I posted this under the category "HubPages Knowledge Exchange" because I'm wondering if they do it in order to increase their hub scores and gain more traffic...

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Number of followers and fan mail don't effect your HubScores.  I've seen really poor scores on people who have lots of both, but who produce weak Hubs.

2. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are some that in the initial stages of playing their sockpuppet charade that they pretend not to know the other profile and tell it how great their hub is.

And the Capuchin monkey continues to dance.

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

seriously, that's just wrong...and kind of mental yikes

1. darkside profile image62
          darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He is what he is.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If they do, they've totally misunderstood how HubPages works.

Hubscores have no effect on earnings or your ranking on search engines.  Fanning/following is an internal HubPages thing, and while it may get a bit more attention within HubPages, internal HubPages traffic isn't really worth playing games for - we're not that big a community.

There are two reasons why people have multiple accounts.  The main one is that some people feel it's better to separate different styles of writing or different kinds of content.  The other one is the sockpuppet phenomenon, where people create multiple accounts so they can debate with themselves on the forums.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image67
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

You should ask BadCo.  He has several accounts.  However, he writes quality pieces.  BadCo is more about story telling and poetry, his Tattoguy is about tattoo art and so forth.  I think it is an ingenious way for talented writers, to acquire most profit.  I wish I had that talent.  Nevertheless, I can barely squeeze out a hub a week.  Writers talented like him, can post good, quality work four or five times a day.

1. Hilili profile image61
      Hililiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great advertising! Cool.

3. Life at DrTom's profile image66
    Life at DrTom'sposted 14 years ago

I'm realizing that there is no short cut or secret way to get good scores.  Just write really quality hubs and the rest should follow.

4. chinweike profile image60
    chinweikeposted 14 years ago

I don't is necessary for one to have multiple accounts just for the sake of personal promotion. If one should do, then hubpages should be able to track down such people through their IP.

5. Anti-Valentine profile image73
    Anti-Valentineposted 14 years ago

Well, I have two accounts. I don't talk to myself though, in comments, fan mail, or the forums.

Apart from linking to one on the other account and vice versa, they remain quite separate, and I just write about different topics on each.

6. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I don't bother to mess around with it. Traffic from HubPages is not the kind of traffic I'm interested in anyway, and my hub scores are completely irrelevant.
    smile

1. chinweike profile image60
      chinweikeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. Hubpages traffic does not add much value to your hubs. So why worry about it?
      Cheers Wyanjen

7. whooops profile image58
    whooopsposted 14 years ago

Interesting.
    But I'm guessing that they do follow themselves but rarely for pumping up their scores or something like that.

I do agree with Anti-Valentine because some people might have multiple personalities or styles, they would probably want to create separate hubpages for each. Not a bad idea though. But it might be a challenge to promote.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whooops, having multiple accounts is no more difficult to promote than having only one. 

You'll find there's no point in promoting your HubPages account as a whole. Your paying visitors will come to individual Hubs, not to your profile page.  And it's quite likely they won't browse the rest of your work.  So you have to think of each Hub as a separate entity - if you're going to promote, you have to promote them individually.

But that's one of the advantages of HubPages - unlike blogs or websites, they get quite a bit of attention from Google without a lot of promotion.

8. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I have been tempted to make several accounts before, each for a different general topic, just to pull in a little extra SEO by having a profile name related to the subject, with a subject related profile description.

In the end though I gave it up as too much hassle for only a tiny little bit of extra benefit, which can be duplicated by having a key Hub linking to all the lesser hubs.

I have barely even managed to do anything like that yet though!

9. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I honestly have two accounts on hubpages I have taken over my sister's because she does not have time I thought by helping her she would flourish but I now have my hands full. When I am on the second account it seems that I cannot think of anything to write about, but when I am me I can write about anything. I use the second account more for commercial and my original account for creativity.smile

10. BDazzler profile image77
    BDazzlerposted 14 years ago

I only have one account.  I thought about starting another as an evil twin, because I didn't think some of the attacks against me were very effective, and I thought that, since, hey I do a better job of beating myself up than anybody else, I should do it myself.

But I did such a good job of counterattacking that my other self got mad at me and quit before he even opened the account.

I'm just like that somtimes tongue

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lolololo you are to funny!!! big_smile
      It is hard to work two accounts I can't seem to get the other half to agree with me. lolololo big_smile

11. Ladybird33 profile image68
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I have only one account here...hard enough to maintain one for me, but to all that has two or more, may the force be with you smile

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Not long ago I started a second account with the idea of "starting new" with a different kind of writing than what I've accumulated on here.  When I first signed up I didn't know what I was doing, and I was kind of just looking for a place to write whatever I felt like writing, because I wanted something different from the "usual" article-writing (for other people and the kind of stuff that isn't all that "rewarding" for someone who writes).    I had no idea if I'd really earn anything, and I mostly answered requests as a way of "challenging myself" (the way some people do crossword puzzles).

Now that I know more how things work on here, and now that I've seen how earnings actually do "work", I've figured out how to write what I want to write while still keeping in mind what makes a "professional" Hub.  I'll keep the old account "as is" and keep "writing whatever", but I wanted the second account to be something I could link to in "professional endeavors". I've just got completely different aims/plans for that account.

I don't plan to come to the forums under that name, because I don't want to "pretend" to be new on HubPages when I'm not and don't want to "fool" anybody.  I REALLY wouldn't follow myself (way too weird and deceptive  smile for me), and getting followers isn't anything I've ever really focused much on anyway.   (Not long ago I ran into a Hub with a few followers, and it became clear that it was one person saying how wonderful his own Hubs were under a different name - and then the other "alter-ego" saying how great the "other one's" Hubs were. On top of that, I think the Hubs were copied from somewhere else anyway.  (If you write decent Hubs and aim for some version of quality you don't have to get into all that kind of "baloney".  lol)

1. gramarye profile image59
      gramaryeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lisa, you have expressed my feelings exactly. I signed up and have been feeling my way around, but now I want the challenge of forming a more topical hub separately, but still keep working on the one I have.

Can I ask you a question? When you start the second hub is it easy to link to your adsense, amazon etc accounts? I am presuming it is almost automatic, but can hardly remember all that was involved when I started my first hub.

13. zzron profile image59
    zzronposted 14 years ago

I only have one account under the name zzron.  I invite everyone to visit my site, join my fan club and leave comments, thanks so much.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)