I Saw an ad for hubpages while posting on my blog

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 13 years ago

The ad said: "Reason # 2 to Hub: Get paid to blog." I'm not sure what that means, but it seems as if it might mislead people about the difference between a hub and a blog.

1. sagebrush_mama profile image59
      sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I found HubPages in January via a search for free blog sites, and I think it mentioned the "getting paid to blog" concept.  Little did I know I'd get hooked!  I think it's a venue that bloggers can adapt to easily, and learn at whatever pace suits them.  They will be able to see the differences, I think.  For me, it is similar to writing a blog entry, though there are more things to pay attention to than I concern myself with on my blog.

1. Aya Katz profile image84
        Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, a hub is really not like a blog post, unless all your blog posts are like full blown self-contained articles. However, it seems as if Hubpages itself, in its ads, is trying to down play the difference.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I notice you don't use images or Youtube clips much - that's something to add to your learning curve!  They really enhance to your Hub and give something else for the search engines to find.

When you insert a Youtube clip, you also get a free backlink on Youtube.

You can find photos on Flickr easily - just use the Advanced search, click on "Creative Commons" and "for commercial use" right down the bottom.  You'll usually get lots of photos to choose from. 

You have to thank the photographer and include a link to their photostream (I usually do that at the end of the Hub).

1. 2besure profile image80
          2besureposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just saw an add like that on my blog today!  It kind of competes with my referral button, but whatever.

2. sagebrush_mama profile image59
          sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your insight, Marisa.  I appreciate it.  I've been learning in layers, and every month or so, I seem to find one area to focus on, so I'll work on more images and trying to incorporate Youtube soon.  I tried finding images during the June contest, but it seemed like a maze of paid sites that I didn't want to get tangled up with.  I'll check out Flickr.

I guess the blogs I frequent vary.  Most are rarely composed of short, random posts, but rather, a combination of types of posts, some of which are much like articles, or hubs, with relevant information, images, and video.  I see blogging as more of a personal expression tied to an ongoing relationship amongst individuals with like interests, whereas Hubs seem to be more stand alone, informational.   Many of the bloggers I read would have a lot to offer as hubbers.

3. Pcunix profile image90
          Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I dislike video SOOO much !

I know everyone says video, video, video, but I just can't stand it and refuse to put it in my  content.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

I saw another ad that said something like "if you can blog, you can Hub".

I can understand why HubPages is using that hook to entice people in - but no wonder we get so many newbies writing short, blog-like Hubs! 

I'm sure the HP team would point to the information on their front page, which talks about content-rich articles. Unfortunately people don't read, so that's not enough.  If you sign them up under the wrong impression, it will take a lot to change their minds.

I'm wondering if the same thing happened - to the other extreme - with the "writerly" set.  You know who I mean, the ones who whinge about successful Hubbers like Nelle bringing down the tone of the site by writing product Hubs.  Maybe they were attracted to HubPages by ads implying it was some kind of literary site.

3. PoeticLicense profile image59
      PoeticLicenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're right about it being misleading in that HP will NOT actually pay you for your writing BUT you CAN in theory make money by allowing advertisers to post ads on your hub and by putting your own advertising on your hub.  Mind you, by the time they put ads on and YOU put ads on there might be more ads than actual writing but--hey--whatever!  Someone has to PAY the bills so others can be artistic, creative and original. 
      Live and let live--I say!

2. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

this is the landing page for the ad in question:

http://hubpages.com/info/adsenseblogger

Its better than the sign up page i use for refs - im gonna start using it!

I dont think the semantics are all that important - blog is just a common term - i dont think it has to mean a specific format to everyone

in an adwords campaign its much likely to be searched for than other possible variations

the term "get paid to write' also returns this hub ad

Earn by Writing Articles
    Writers earn great money writing
    informative articles. Start today!

which leads to this page:

http://hubpages.com/info/adsensemmw

same info diff internal aw tracking

1. englightenedsoul profile image58
      englightenedsoulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How did you find it SF, I am amazed.  The page is definitely better than the default one.  Can you please tell me how can I include my referral tracker in the URL?

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Your referral tracker always goes after .com/

2. climberjames profile image58
      climberjamesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That referral page is awesome! Thanks for the link sunforged!!

3. englightenedsoul profile image58
    englightenedsoulposted 13 years ago

Thank you Marisa.  I get it now.  But really that was so dumb of me!!

4. sunforged profile image71

in retrospect: Using that page as a landing page for your sign ups may mess with their adwords campaign tracking

as in you may be doing hubs a tiny disservice -

I have always felt the traditional sign up page should be as short as the one they are apparently privately using themselves..maybe they can quickly pop out an alternate page following this model that doesnt interfere wit there adwords campaigns

So shouldn't we use that as a landing page then?

1. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All your latest hubs are very solid! layouts, content, design and focus, very well done. Have things continued to be on the up and up for your online endeavors?

I owe it all to 60dc and to you in particular.  I now have found the perfect mix between hard and smart work.  And your personal advice on how to improve my amazon earnings really paid off.  And I even emailed you my amazon stats.  Anyways, I would say it in again.  I had no sales in my first 5 months at amazon and in my 6th month I sold 21 items and this month have already sold 6.  I am in love with amazon now.  Feel like it has more earning potential than adsense.  Thanks for everything!!!

5. sunforged profile image71

Just saying perhaps its worth finding out if teh page will properly track for you before making any adjustments to your promotion techniques.

I would certainly prefer this landing page in my future promotion efforts

I would also certainly prefer this page.  I just added my tracker in the link you provided and the page opens fine....I will create a new tracker and check if it tracks me or not.

Thanks for the find, I just wonder how do you find all this.  Seems impossible to me!!

6. sunforged profile image71

Lol, not that mysterious ..here was the rather mundane process..

I read Ayas original post and assumed that Get paid to Blog was the keyword string

I entered that term into Google.

I saw the Hubpages ad in the sidebar paid ads

I right clicked on the destination link and pasted it into notepad (so as to not make poor HP pay for my research)

I found the link at the end of the string and checked out where it went by pasting it into my browser..I was guessing that it wasnt an official HP ad campaign but ..it turned out it was!

I then guessed another related keyword string that I would use "get paid to write" and found the second ad

These are terms that I have bid on myself in the past, I even experimented with using adwords for HP referrals (using free vouchers of course) out of 180 clicks, 6 signed up and none wrote a hub! .. I ended the campaign in 2 or 3 days though. So I was curious in how someone was pursuing Hp ref via adwords..turns out they made a better landing page! kind of irks me sad . .my 2 or 3 day experiment prob cost around $18.00-$20.00 - to zero return for me, I really wonder if it will do any better for them

That was easy, but may be I am too dumb in this as I havn't tried adwords.  But I am really amazed by your thinking..you really have high analytical skills...Also, I just made a demand draft today and would courier it today to google to get my adwords a/c activated.  Trying the adwords campaign was the only thing that I didn't tried in the 60dc and I want to correct it.  Whenever I read your hub on how to use adwords voucher, I feel like I am suffering a loss.  And I can't bear it.  Will let you know how the adwords campaign goes for me!!

7. sunforged profile image71

Perhaps I explained it badly? ..maybe the loss is real and I skipped some crucial information..if you let me know any specific questions I can try and help directly and/or add to the hub.

The focus of the hub is on how to activate the voucher - its certainly not the best resource for actually creating and publishing campaigns..it was published in a hurry to give you all a chance to use your vouchers before they expired.

8. englightenedsoul profile image58

No, not at all.  Infact I really find the hub useful and skim through it atleast once a day.  Wish my bank would provide me online banking facilities, I would have started with adwords right away.  I am sending a demand draft today and they will activate my account in a few days.  I hope they will send me a free voucher soon in my account.

I would surely ask you questions once I get started, I think I will have many.  Thanks for helping the newbies SF.  You are a gem!!

9. brettb profile image59
    brettbposted 13 years ago

If you think that's strange, I once saw an advert from my ex-employer on one of my sites!

10. sunforged profile image71

found an hp ad on one of my blogs also

[url=http://easycaptures.com/0897414262]http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/396/thumbs/0897414262_b.jpg

11. englightenedsoul profile image58

Seems like Hubpages is on a promotion spree.  I have encountered a few ads as well.  But the irony is they are promoting the site as get paid to blog, but if you take hubpages as a blogging site you won't earn anything.  But I can understand why they promoting this way, as majority of the people type this term when they are looking for some place to write!!

1. PoeticLicense profile image59

Maybe they are promoting for a reason.  I know for a fact a few of the writers (most in the 90 and over HP score category) have moved on and created their own websites.  I know of at least five and that's just from e-mails that people send me.  From my infrequent visits to this site I know they are recruiting and have at least two other HP or former HP writers contributing.  You might find the numbers are higher if you research it.

Yes, many of the writers in the 90 and over do have their own websites - but that's the difference between HP and other writing sites.

On other sites, people start their own blog or site and you never see them again. I notice that Hubbers who start their own site are far more likely to continue using HubPages in parallel. because it's such a worthwhile part of an internet portfolio.

Look at Misha, Mark Knowles, Sunforged, Nelle Hoxie, Darkside, Dale Mazurek to name a few.  I have 5 websites myself.

The only difference is that when people "graduate" to their own sites, it often means they're getting serious about making money online and are far less active in commenting, following etc.  So you don't realize they're still lurking.

Yes!  I knew some have left--never to return--and I figured there were others who just kept their account open so they could "lurk" OR because they are too busy to delete the now less-used account!
          I guess the less active these people are--even the ones who lurk--the less income is generated for this site.  The less income that is generated, the more HP needs new people.

Remember a high HubberScore doesn't mean the Hubber was earning a lot of money.  If a Hubber with a high score left, it's because they weren't earning any income.  And if they weren't earning income from their Hubs, neither was HubPages! 

So while we might mourn the loss of their interesting content, their disappearance is no loss to the HubPages business.

The successful ones - who as you say have "moved on" - keep their account because it would be mad to delete a healthy income-producing resource that requires no maintenance or promotion.

Sure, I know no one makes a LOT of money.  I am not assuming anyone makes a LOT of money nor am I assuming everyone has an affiliate account to begin with--sorry.
              I just think if these people spend LESS or no MORE time actually writing here then HP makes NO money on anything NEW they would have published HERE instead of ELSEwhere.
              You ARE right though . . . if they didn't take an attitude toward anything or anyone here then they would not delete their account.
              ANYone who no longer provides HP with a page on which ads can be posted IS causing HP to lose money if the replacements are not as good in getting attention.  So if HP doesn't advertise for MORE people to sign up then I figure HP WOULD lose money if only because the number of hubs would go down since the newer pieces by the ones who left are no longer posted here.
              That's what I was trying to say.

12. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 13 years ago

Hey all,

You're welcome to use any of our marketing landing pages as landing pages for your own referral efforts, but be sure not to use any of the hubpages.com/info/ ones as these are redirects that expand to include tracking tags. I'm not even sure if they would process your referral trackers correctly.

Each hubpages.com/info/ link does redirect to a hubpages.com/help/ landing page which you can strip of all the tracking tags and insert your URL tracker to.

For example:
    http://hubpages.com/help/landing_paidtoblog
    can become
    http://hubpages.com/_yourreferraltracke … paidtoblog

The reason we use language about 'blogging' on HubPages is that there is extensive confusion among "lay people" out there about what blogging is. Granted, you guys know exactly what blogging is, but for a lot of people, it means writing anything online (and, to be fair, there are tons of topical/informative blogs out there, not just personal ones). This is just one of many campaigns that we run to bring in new Hubbers.

13. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 13 years ago

Hubs and blogs are very similar. Each hub is like a blog entry. Concept is the same for both, except that with hubs there is more to pay attention to it seems. I actually found out about hubpages.com while browsing Yahoo HotJobs.

Lena

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)