Personal Privacy Reports on FaceBook Don't Look Good!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I'm NOT Knocking FB or HP here.. So I would appreciate that this thread relates to HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT YOUR Personal Privacy?

For many years I have done a huge amount of Privacy Advocacy work for people (in NZ) who have had their Personal Privacy interferred with illegally by organizations that ignore our Privacy Laws.  I am very passionate about privacy and human rights, which along with my accent sometimes gets me in strife! lol

But here for your perusal and reference is something I feel that you should seriously consider.. if you value privacy.

________ This was just emailed to me from a business source __

PeopleBrowsr shared a rather interesting report with us this week, looking at privacy related tweets during the center of this year's Facebook "privacy storm." The firm studied the public's reaction to Facebook's open graph-related announcements that set off the majority of the Facebook privacy controversy back in April.

Are you concerned for your privacy as a Facebook user?

The report specifically compares the general public's (or at least the portion that uses Twitter) thoughts about Facebook privacy with the media sensationalism around the story. The firm studied tweets with references to privacy, along with other keywords like Facebook, Open Graph, Zuckerberg, and Google.

"We are the last generation to know privacy as it was," says Brian Solis, Chief Data Analyst for PeopleBrowsr. "As Facebook moves human connections and society into a more public spotlight, people and the press will push back. But this will move things forward collaboratively. Over time I believe the debate will evolve into a series of productive forums and memes that explore the risks of living in public and the rewards for participation."

The FULL REPORT is WORTH Reading.

2. Pearldiver profile image67

Wow... Apathy tends to be the most erosive force today!
    Silence also says so much.

3. Benjimester profile image87
    Benjimesterposted 13 years ago

Facebook is the devil smile  I'm an FB and Twitter Refusenik.  Who the heck cares what I'm doing every second of the day anyway?  People cry foul play against the big organizations, but your privacy is really in your own hands.  I say don't post anything online that you don't want the world to know.  Sorry, that's my ranting for the evening.

4. Pearldiver profile image67

And an excellent rant it twas Benjimester... thank you.. I agree.

1. Benjimester profile image87
      Benjimesterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Alright, now that my ranting is done, I do agree that just because people want to communicate online, it doesn't mean that they should have to worry about all of their dealings being broadcast to the world.  It just seems like in this day and age, privacy is something of the past.  There are so many different sources obtaining and selling personal information, it seems foolish to expect privacy anymore.  Doesn't make it right mind you that privacy has been cast to the wind.  But what can we do about it?  That's the real question.  I suppose you just have to make the best laws you can, and try your hardest to enforce them.

5. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

Privacy is very important to me and I have the strictest ones ticked on my FB account. Kind of means it doesn't help with my HP traffic though! sad

Good on you PD for advocating privacy, it should be everyones concern. I did write a hub about this topic too, which shows I do care about it.

Hope all is well with you PD.

6. Pearldiver profile image67

Hi M, (Keeping the rest private smile )

Well it tends to be as relative to most as the biggest lie of the last 10 years... "Yes I have read the TOS Agreement"

A shrinking iceberg in tropical seas.  This was an excellent report (in it's fullest form) - well worth reading.

Of course DownUnder we have different values don't we?
    And in NZ one of the strongest statutes here is The Privacy Act.
    I think after another 5 years it will only be our end of the world that still protects it furiously.... And we are the most genuinely open lol

Something is Amiss. lol

Thanks for your input as always Take Care

1. MPG Narratives profile image60
      MPG Narrativesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm,  we downunder are the only ones who protect our privacy, is that really true?

Mind you if we are on the net then we're not that private are we? It really is a fine line.

Besides, I like being on HP and talking to all the hubbers, like you. smile

7. Pearldiver profile image67

Well yes with many sites it is indeed a saleable commodity that tends to be tender in many respects. Sites know that they have pushed the boundaries in many respects with their legal rights of refusal for not providing a particular level of information.

There is of course another thing that should be of concern and that is the use of personal information by 3rd parties who have secured the 'assets' of agencies via the purchasing or receivership of sites or organizations.

I think the abuse is more widespread than is reported as the next generation tends to be quite ignorant of what we know privacy to represent. That is where sites like fb abuse it and cover their butts with claims that their members are happy to provide everything! Of course they can't have an account if they don't and there lies the prob.

I don't give a toss for that sort BS.. I have the strength of character and experience to tell them thanks but no thanks!
    There is a value to each of us as writers.. far more than selling our backsides to a site like FB. hmm
    You don't generally see or have access to the information that shows exactly what you generate value-wise though do you? lol

I've worked in the ad industry for years and this type of data to advertisers is gold so that is why FB and others want it. The gen Y's like my kids couldn't give a toss about their privacy, they have a who cares attitude which gets so many of them into trouble.

Don't know if you have a show over in NZ called The Gruen Transfer. Its on ABC here and is a show about advertising and they were discussing privacy issues on the show last Wed night. That's why your post caught my eye.

Value-wise, I don't think FB give a toss about that although HP do.

8. Pearldiver profile image67

It's changed big time in 12 months though M.
    Some very 'special' reasons why have been removed as have management styles!  There is a lack of people management skills which are wrongly compensated with an autocratic style that doesn't fit with creative people ... sad
    But then that in itself gives a clue doesn't it? hmm

As I said at the front end of the thread.. my intention is not to knock the players...
    I'm sorry if my disappointment in them makes it appear that I'm being negative... I'm not.. I'm being somewhat intuitive and Mercury is in Retrograde lol

No we don't have that show.  I'm well aware of the Dollar Values involved and that is the sad bit... because at the end of the day it's just basic hooking in the cheapest possible way.  Never mind... Let's see what the new FB competitor due to open on 15th. has to offer... HP may have jumped too earlier.. The new Guys are Cleaning up the privacy issues that FB & co refuse to! smile Far more enjoyable getting on things at the ground floor... your tend to get taken more seriously don't you?

Mercury in retrograde!!! What an excuse.

Still I think it is up to the individual to protect their privacy no matter what site they are on.

Looking forward to the new FB competitor, it will be interesting. ciao for now, have other writing to do. M xx.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)