jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Amazon items 50% higher than manufacter website?

1. Bill Manning profile image76
    Bill Manningposted 7 years ago

I'm not sure what forum category to put this in, so I'll do it here. I am pushing a particular line of items from Amazon on my hubs and websites.

I did a little digging, and I found this item, 100% the same made by the same manufacturer, for 50 to 60% less selling on their own website, retail. hmm

I'm not sure what to make of this. That means I could just buy the items, retail price, for 50% less than Amazon, then turn around and sell it on Amazon in my Amazon store for 50% higher.

Which I'm sure now is what others are doing, and what this company is doing. It's a very popular item, covering a long line of items.

Anyone ever seen this happen before on Amazon? What would you do if you were in my shoes? hmm

1. Several Ninjas profile image79
      Several Ninjasposted 7 years agoin reply to this

what size shoe do you wear?

Bill Manningposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Small for a guy actually, 9 1/2. Which means that old saying about a man's feet is false.  big_smile

1. thisisoli profile image73
          thisisoliposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So not all big footed mean wear big shoes?

I was talking about the OTHER saying,,,,,,, tongue

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

Amazon charges 50% as their cut.  So if the producer makes no concession, the price doubles.  If you bought them, you would still have to pay Amazon 50% and so end up at the same price as everyone else.

Uh, I'm not sure what your talking about. I have a seller account with Amazon. I can list most anything they have new or used for only a 8% cut for them plus a .99 cent fee.

I know because I've sold a lot of stuff on there. I'd get a pro merchant account but the main items I want to sell, they don't let others sell in those categories. hmm

3. Starfishfelix profile image61
    Starfishfelixposted 7 years ago

I'm not an expert, but most of what I've bought on Amazon (mainly books, CDs and DVDs along with a handful of other stuff) seems to be cheaper on Amazon.

I don't see anything ethically wrong with buying something at a 50% discount and selling it at retail on Amazon.  I would consider the shipping costs and the risk of getting stuck with leftover stock (especially if its an item that may go out of style).

If the shipping is reasonable, I'd buy a few to sell to test things out (companies shipping time, costs, any unforeseen issues, etc.), then go from there.

working